Toshiba SD-510 still no pal prog

Timh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recenty emailed Toshiba regarding a Firmware upgrade to access pal progressive with the SAD-510, heres their reply.

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you
requested as follows:

There are no plans for a firmware upgrade to enable progressive PAL on a
DVD player at this time as there is no agreed set standard for progressive
PAL at this time.

If you have any further queries or would like to go through your query with
an advisor you can contact us on 0115 9766958,

I will try again in a couple of months after the dvd forum meeting is over.

Here's hoping.

Timh,

Judging by what was said by Toshiba, it looks like that this player might be able to be converted to progressive PAL!

I hope so as well as I too have this player. Incidently, do you notice much improvement on NTSC progressive?

Also, is your player macrovision disabled, if so, is it done by firmware?

Cheers

:confused:

Judging by what was said by Toshiba, it looks like that this player might be able to be converted to progressive PAL!
Yes... they didn't rule it out :)
I find the picture quality much better with my Projector when using NTSC dvd's, I am not sure if you will see much differance on a TV, like the Toshiba which recently came out with progressive scan capabilities, not sure of the model number.
I am not sure if Macrovision is disabled, maybe Chic could answer as he purchased the player from the same dealer.

Hi all 510E owners,nice try Tim,i have just mailed toshiba again and asked if this player had PAL prog facility and said we all understand that there is no agreed standard etc etc and yes there is no plans to release a firmwave upgrade,BUT is the player capable of doing it,with an upgrade or whatever.

Hope to hear soon and as soon as i do ill let you know.

Hi Ricky

Good luck, here's hoping for a positive reply, keep us updated.

Timh,

You say that you are using a projector to view your R1 discs. I can therefore conclude that your player IS macrovision disabled.
I know this because if you have connected your player via the component o/ps and you get a stable clean picture, this eliminates the possibility!

Otherwise, you would have seen a picture that would fluctuate between dark and light every few seconds (a pulse signal to prevent you from making a copy onto your vcr).
That's the problem most players have with macrovision enabled with projectors.

Where did you buy your player from please?

Got the reply from Toshibe guys and they just wont say if the player will do it when pal prog is legal im afriad,cant believe they dont know .oh well.This is what they said......

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you
requested as follows:

Until there is an agreed standard for PAL progressive scan we are unable to
advise whether or not the SD510E DVD player can be upgraded for it or not.

If and when they ratify The PAL prog scan treaty, the flood gates will open in DVD market and everybody will be selling Progressive Scan DVD's.
I fancy a Tosh 520 but then I fancy Denon 3800.
I hate waiting :mad: but in this case we are going to have to. I bet Prog scan pal and NTSC will be as common as multi region in 12 months. And I cant see manufacturers bringing out all new models :D so they will have to be able to be patched :eek:

Tokus,its interesting what you say but i can assure you that when i put a compnent signal into my pj everything is fine ,and also i can feed a scart connection into my video without interference but as soon a s i press record thats when the macrovision starts doing its thing.

I dont think macrovision is applied to component outputs anyway.

Ricky27,

That's reassuring to know! ;) As I too intend to buy a projector with component I/Ps. That was my main concern, but now you have put my mind to rest! Thanks. :) :)

No problem,glad to help.:)

Torkus

Where did you buy your player from please?
I purchased mine from www.av4u.co.uk I payed £299 + P&P its now £279 + P&P.
Yes... I have no problems with the picture fluctuating on the projector, its rock solid :)
I believe macrovision does not effect all projectors, but my player may still have it disabled, I just haven't checked.

I dont think macrovision is applied to component outputs anyway.

I'm sure it is, thats why we are all waiting for them to ratify it for pal progressive(i.e. agree on the macrovision standard for pal prog), its already been sorted for pal interlaced.

I think:D

Timh,

I looked up your website showing the Panasonic AE100 projector.
How good is the picture?

If you are happy with the picture then fine. If not, I have found a website that can improve the picture being projected!

check out the following ste:-

http://www.markgoldie.co.uk/hc/hc3.html

I may be looking at buying this one at a later date.

Hi torkus

Thanks for the link, it looks like a good useful site :)
I am very happy with my projector :) more so if I could get progressive pal playback with my Toshiba player.
Even better is using your pc, I tried it briefly and the picture quality is amazing, I just cannot be bothered with the hassle of a pc though :(
I think I will soon be trying a Hoya fld filter, I kept putting it off as I thought it was more for pc users, but Chic who has the same pj and dvd player as me is using the filter with good results, so I think I will give it a go.

You will not be disappointed if you go for the AE100, its a bargain
:D

i have the 510E and the ntsc prog scan is awesome but i have a problem where the player keepsd locking up after about an hour of play andd has to be reset by unplugging from the mains ...has anyone else experienced this problem ????????

not had the same problem but it sounds like over heating to me , make sure you have plenty of ventilation around the player and none of the vents are blocked, the player gets hot when being used and if you cant get rid of the hot air round the player problems will result

The Plumber

I bought a 510e from AV4U last week and had exactly the same problem - the first two films I tried both froze at around the halfway point and completely locked the player. The player was also well ventilated.
Phoned the supplier and they told me they'd had another 510e back with the same issue the day b4 and although they'd couldn't tell me the exact cause, it was definately a hardware problem and they would replace mine immediately.
Which they did, and so far so good. (touch wood !)

PS : Really impressed with aftersales service of this company - reported the problem and next day an employee drove across London to my office with the replacement.

Tim H

As you can see, just entered the world of progressive scan and could well have a few questions for the likes of your good self in the coming days. Hope this is okay !

Regards

Steve

I have also had the locking problem for the last couple of weeks, down to it overheating, it gets bloody hot, but since I fitted it back into my rack with more air around it it has not locked :) only watched a couple of films though.

As you can see, just entered the world of progressive scan and could well have a few questions for the likes of your good self in the coming days. Hope this is okay !

No problems.

You're not wrong about the 510e getting hot, I played through 'A Beautiful Mind' last night once to warm the player up and then again to actually watch the film and when I took the disc out it was noticeably hot... not warm, hot!

My player is as well ventilated as it can be, ie nothing within 5 inches to the side or on top.

It didn't freeze though... in fact, even the layer change seemed (a) well placed on that film and (b) very quick, almost didn't notice it.

Originally posted by the plumber
i have the 510E and the ntsc prog scan is awesome but i have a problem where the player keepsd locking up after about an hour of play andd has to be reset by unplugging from the mains ...has anyone else experienced this problem ????????

Mine went back because of this. Decided against another one and got my money back.

john

I emailed Toshiba yesterday regarding the overheating problem, here's their reply.

Thank you for your recent enquiry, please find the information that you
requested as follows;

I regret to inform you that from your description given, it would appear
that your appliance may not be working within our performance
specifications. In this case as your appliance is within the manufacturers
guarantee period, we would recommend that you contact your supplying dealer
or their approved service company for further assistance.

If you have any further queries regarding this matter or would like to go
through your query with an advisor you can contact us on 0115 9766958,
Monday - Friday 8.00-20.00, Saturday 8.00-18.00 and Sunday 10.00-16.00, or
feel free to reply by E-mail.

I trust the above information is to your satisfaction, if you have any
further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

If my player locks up again I will contact the company I purchased it from, it hasn't locked the last couple of times but it still runs HOT
flamingdevil.gif

My 510 still seems to be working fine :) just seems to get warm now, it must have made a big differance fitting it into my av rack.

I emailed Toshiba again today asking if they will be releasing a firmware update to enable pal pro now that its been passed of by Macrovision.
Can all you 510 owners also email them at [email protected]

Hope so :D

hi tim just emailed them, the thing that worries me if we upgrade the firmware to get pal progressive we may loose the multi region capability ie the upgrade will turn the player into a r2 only player I hope not:(

i let you tim be the first to go for the upgrade if the say its possibe:D

Email sent. :)

Looks like this overheating is a problem though. Mine has locked up on about 5 diffrent ocasions since I bought it. I moved the player to a better ventilated location and it was fine untill two weeks ago when it locked up on the UK rental disk of Vanilla Sky. It wasn't even a warm day. I am starting to think it could be a problem where the data side of the disk is Gold coloured, anybody else notice this?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom