TOSHIBA SD-470 DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by razor1979, Sep 11, 2007.

1. razor1979

razor1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just ordered this TOSHIBA SD-470 DVD upscalling dvd player from pixmania

just wondered if anyone has it yet as i know its quite new to the market and if so what do they think of it, or does anyone know where i can find any reviews of this player

many thanks in advance

2. razor1979

razor1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forgot to add cant even find this player on toshibia website

3. redhf

redhf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    is it not sd 370???

4. razor1979

razor1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Sivvy

Sivvy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I've been looking at getting one of these but still can't see any reviews and it's still not on the Toshiba website. Is it a European model or something?
    Looks like you should have had it for a few months now so what do you think?
    Does it suffer from any of the 370's freezing?

Thanks in advance.
    Any other SD-470/(-472?) users out there? - it seems pretty quiet on this subject when it looks like a good player!

6. fenetian

fenetian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi sivvy I purchased the sd-472 from pixmania about a week ago and used it initially connected via hdmi to my Toshiba 32wlt66 lcd it worked fine, it is region 2 player and appears to be very similar to the sd-370, although it appears to have been made for the continental market. the owners manual is in french. I downloaded the 370 manual and the only difference in specs appears to be that it is hdmi 1.2 compliant as opposed to the 1.1 of the 370.
    My problems began when I bought an onkyo tx-sr 605 amp and connected the sd-472 via hdmi to the onkyo and then again via hdmi to my lcd when playing region 2 dvds there is little or no sound and the picture flashes on and off constantly, I think the problem is hdcp related as it will play region free dvds perfectly, and will also play perfectly via composite which is little consolation, having said all that the onkyo could also be at fault I intend getting the loan of another dvd player to see if it is just some sort of compatibilty problem
    but to answer your question this problem aside when connected directly to my lcd it worked perfectly upscaling to 1080i the max my lcd could handle.

7. Sivvy

Sivvy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply fenetian, I was beginning to think there were no users out there! This looks like a great player (for the price) and it ought to be a good follow-on from the 370, now offering 1080P (although I too can only go up to 1080i at present).
    As I've yet to get into the wonderful world of HDMI I've no practical experience on the audio front, but only intending to go straight into the lcd so should be ok. Sounds like I'd better order one and see for myself.

8. Chistos_I

Chistos_I
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi from Greece!

I got my SD470 along with a Philips 42PFP5532 Plasma TV 3 weeks ago. I have got nothing to nag about, except the fact that I have to change constantly the digital sound output setting: If I set it to "PCM" I have proper sound on my tv (via HDMI), but only 2-channel audio on my Yamaha RXV-640 amp (via coaxial digital output); if I set it to "Bitstream", I have multi-channel audio on my amp, but no audio on my tv.

Otherwise, it's pretty good. It even supports greek subs with DivX!

Hope that helped!

9. Sivvy

Sivvy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi to you in Greece Chistos.
    Thanks, your report does help but I'm a bit worried why the 2 people who have made comments both have audio difficulties. Maybe this is more to do with the complexity of HDMI/coaxial than the SD-470 itself? It sounds like there are so many variables with all these connections. I wonder why they are not selling the SD-470 in England - perhaps there is still stock of the 370 that they want to clear first.
    Nobody has said anything about the video freezing that seemed to affect the 370, perhaps they have at last sorted this on the 470.
    Your English is extremely good, by the way!

10. Chistos_I

Chistos_I
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, my audio issue is not actually a "problem", it is rather a whim :D
    I wouldn't expect Toshiba (or anybody else, for that matter) to sell a player with such diverse digital audio output management (AND video upscaling...) for a paltry 68 euros!

As for the absence of audio in my Philips PFP5532 when it is fed with multi-channel digital audio via HDMI, the tv's manual specifically states that it does not support AC3 sound. Therefore, the player is not to blame.

All in all, I would be mad to ask for more with such a price tag.

11. Sivvy

Sivvy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the clarification, I didn't quite understand that first time round.
    I plan to use the sd470 via HDMI alone into my toshiba 42wlt66 most of the time with occasional use of a basic amp for output to a pair of speakers (no surround in my house, I'm afraid!). With my current setup I simply use a couple of phono leads from the dvd to the amp, I'm hoping I can do the same with a 470, without having to fiddle with settings every time. I know I'm under-using the audio capabilities but I hope my setup is not so 'old fashioned' that it doesn't work! Do you think there are basic L/R outputs that work alongside the HDMI?

12. Chistos_I

Chistos_I
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You shouldn't have any trouble with the hook-up you describe, though I haven't tested it myself.
    You can have analogue audio to your amp through the 2-channel analogue audio out
    AND audio to your tv through HDMI (with the digital audio output set to "PCM"), at the same time.

Set and forget! :)

13. JPF1987

JPF1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recently bought a TOSHIBA SD-470 DVD player from pixmania. I have it connected to samsung hd lcd via hdmi cable. however every time i turn on the power then select the right channel i am gettin no signal, but when i switch it off at the wall for ten seconds n switch it back on the signal is fine.
    Also it wont play certain dvds, but plays divx files no problem. i believe this is down to the dvd player bein locked and im having no luck finding the region free unlock codes.
    any help would be much appreciated

14. Chistos_I

Chistos_I
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Make sure you select the right HDMI input on your TV set and that the HDMI output resolution is compatible with your TV.

There is no region-free code for the SD470, as far as I know.

Hope that helped a bit..

15. JPF1987

JPF1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah all that is set properly, there must jus be a fault with it.