1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD-350E compatible with DVD+R?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jim Barry, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Jim Barry

Jim Barry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba website only mentions DVD-R compatibility, and Amazon goes as far as to state "DVD+R Playback: No". If true, this would be a bit of a deal-breaker. I thought that DVD+R discs were supposed to work with any modern DVD player. Has anyone here succeeded/failed in playing a DVD+R on the SD-350E?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well on DVDRHelp the SD350E is listed as working with a few DVD+R discs, which basically means trial & error until you find those that it will work with.

Mark.

3. Jim Barry

Jim Barry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, Mark. I guess I'll have to find a shop with an SD-350E on display and give it a try. If it can handle decent quality brand name media e.g. Verbatim then I suppose that will do. Anyone got any info about which brands work and which don't?

4. Jim Barry

Jim Barry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK folks, I went down to Comet, where the SD-350E was on display. It accepted Verbatim 16x media as well as a cheapo "Mirror" disc that I happened to have with me. If only that stupid blue light on the front of the tray could be permanently disabled. I am now torn between the Tosh, LG and Samsung HDMI players. Is there anything to choose between them?

5. Elmer

Elmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'm thinking about getting the Toshiba player, I bought the Limit DVDA900SE from Play, but am sending it back as I find its mechanism too noisy for my tastes when playing disks.

In regards to the blue strip on the Toshiba Sd-350E I just noticed this comment on a customers review of this player on Amazon, which I hope the person doesn't mind me cutting and pasting here.

"I have the perfect solution which does break anything or invalidate the warranty.

If you look closely you'll see the blue strip isn't actually a long series of LEDs. It's simply a strip of clear plastic set into the front of the opening dvd tray. Then when the dvd tray is closed this strip is lit up by 2 blue LEDs mounted either side of the dvd tray.

The simple solution is to open the dvd tray, then stick on 2 small pieces of black electricians tape onto either end of the transparent plastic strip on the dvd tray. Then when the dvd tray is closed this stops any of the blue led light entering the dvd tray strip. It's a very effective solution and turns an incredibly bright blue 5 inch strip into 2 small blue dots."

6. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for the hint on the blue light will try that as you say its a bit bright.
    paul1967

7. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Even better - I read recently on some reviews on this player that you can actually change a menu setting that causes the blue strip to go out after 30secs.

Any owner heard of this?

8. luthers

luthers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got on of these and I had a play with the settings..... couldn't find anything wrt the blue light..... unless its some sort of hidden menu....

I did manage to get the multi regional setup tho.....

9. Elmer

Elmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    On that same guys Amazon customer review in regard to the blue light he says

"It can be turned off in the setup menu, however this has to be re-done every time the player is switched on again (Not a fault as this is confirmed in the manual)"

I am tempted by this one, but its saying Availability: usually dispatched within 1 to 2 weeks, so presumably out of stock atm. :(

10. Decker

Decker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased the SD-350E and overall I am delighted with it.

Region free has been set - however, it will not play any of my DVD-R discs?
    I have tried six now and not one works?

Anyone else had this problem?

11. dashfield

dashfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This is a little worrying. I am just trying to decide between the Toshiba SD350E or the Denon 1920 and one of the things i will be using it for is playing home made DVDs (not as dodgy as it sounds;))

I was going to go for the Toshiba simply because of price, but may be it's worth saving a bit more for the Denon. At least then it would match my Denon 1906.

Any suggestions?

12. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    Both of them ( The Tosh and Denon) have issues with DVDs originating from DVD-R or +R.
    As recent postings in other threads have shown .The Samsung 850/950 has a fair share of that too. The Phillips 9500 and the Sony/Pioneer/ Panasonic players seem to be a tad less fussy.
    You may need to start another thread asking which DVD players are " home DVD " friendly as the mentioned posts seem to find that specific brand media and software may make a difference . This problem also afflicts backed up DVDs for personal use. Whatever the legal ramifications of this, If you already have a collection of these and of your homemade DVDs,You would be unhappy if your brand new DVD player does not play them.

13. junaid

junaid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi m8

so far i've used tesco's dvdrs - and have watched about a dozen movies and they all play very well on this machine :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

14. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have an SD-330E... works with Verbatim DVD+R disks... as does my Pioneer 575 :thumbsup:

15. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    I had a Toshiba 250 which would play home made DVD +R or -R from Adobe Premiere, Pinnacle Studio 9 Ulead movie factory and workshop but resolutely refused to play anything from DVD shrink. It played DVD decrypter made DVDs.
    Very minor surface light scratches/ blemished often resulted in a frustrating performance. This was with a wide variety of media types. I eventually returned it despite being happy with its PQ on any media that did play.( i had a large no of backed up dvds made via dvd shrink)
    I think though that the "problem" is more common than is reported and people just learn to put up with it.
    There is some anecdotal evidence that the more recent Tosh players a rather less fussy
    My point: Any DVD player to be used with DVD-R or +R should not be bought without trying it out as the compatibility issue is rather a hit or miss "black magic" issue.

16. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, I am looking to upgrade (from Yamada 5520).

Can anyone help - what is best?

Toshiba 350 or
    Pioneer DV575.

Thanks.

17. dashfield

dashfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for your advice guys - you all seem to know your stuff inside out:)

By the sounds of things, theres no definate answer, so i'll just take a trip to the local currys where they have one on display and try one of my homemade DVD+Rs.

Sorry about hijacking the thread!

18. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Think 575 has been replaced by 585 now?
    I have previous Toshiba SD330E on my Loewe TV and the 575 on my projector... very pleased with both. With the 575 you can tweak more of the picture settings (which I haven't as done cal of projector) but sure you will be happy with either.

19. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I tend to stick to one brand I know works OK... as mentioned in previous post I use Verbatim 8x DVD+R and never had a problem on either my toshiba or pioneer.

20. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks. Yes, the 575 has been superceeded by the 585, just based my opinion on the many reviews there were on the 575. The Tosh is cheaper (by half) - I just don't know what I'd be getting for that extra money and whether I'd ever need it.... choices, choices :confused:

21. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    HDMI main difference... i.e. the toshiba has it, the Pioneer doesn't. £64 from Amazon for Toshiba.. versus about £120 for Pioneer. Think I'd prob go for the Toshiba if I was buying another one.

22. dashfield

dashfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

i went into currys and tried a homemade DVD+R (imation 8X - nothing special) and it didn't work. The DVDs are made on my Mac G5 if that makes any difference, is it worth buying a different brand of DVD+Rs and trying those on the Tosh?

I have to say, i am completely stuck now as to what player to get for a max budget of £150.:confused:

23. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have been recommended this Tosh player or the Pioneer 575 or 585 (which have very good reviews)!

Cheers. Kevin.

24. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    Kevin,
    Do ( you know if ) any of the Pioneers have compatibity problems with either home made DVDs or backed up ones on DVD+R or -R, .
    I think they and the Panasonics / Sonys have been less fussy with the above media but cant speculate on specific models .Since that is the( current) theme of this thread that knowledge would be useful . In essense, any recommended player will still need to be "tested" with Homemade DVD- or + R to avoid dissapointment no matter how good their reviews. I have ( recently) used the Denon1920, Tosh, Samsung HD 950 and have a cheapo but rather good Targa (£19) and Panasonic s75 the last 2 of which tend to play just about anything. While all of the Players have satisfied owners , it seems that at this end of the market you get good PQ and other gremlins or very compatible DVD player with no issues but a wee drop in PQ!

25. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hey, I am afraid I have limited knowledge and less so on the compatability of the Pioneers when it comes to playback of 'home media'. Any info I collect along the way, I will report back here.

Thanks.

26. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As previously posted, my Pioneer 575 plays Verbatim DVD+R 8x with no problems at all. These are burnt on my PC (using a NEC 3500 writer) from Nero after using DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink.

Likewise my SD-330E plays same disks also with no problems.

EDIT: I never burn at DVD top speed either... always half. For my Verbatim 8x disks, I always burn at 4x.

27. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Compatability can be a lot more complicated than just which discs to use. If you are having problems getting discs to play then I suggest you slow the burn speed down to 2x, perhaps even 1x as this can greatly increase compatability with players. Also try removing as many of the additional features such as multiple menus and soundtracks (if ripping from a 'bought' DVD). Even try burning on a different DVD writer if you have access to another as some may not be 100%. Update the firmware if there is one available. When I first got my Pioneer 110D it failed on about 50% of the discs I created. I upgraded the firmware and it has created 100% good discs since.

Mark.

28. leesh

leesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 350e works fine with cheapo DVD-R discs. Burn them slow.

29. Decker

Decker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to Junaid's post, I bought a pack of Tesco DVD-Rs this evening - burned a disk at x4 - tried it on the Toshiba SD-350E and lo and behold it worked!!

The vast majority of my other DVD-Rs are Ritek (Ridata) which work fine on my Samsung DVD P-145 and Pioneer DV-350 players.

Find it strange that they don't work on my brand new Toshiba SD-350E? I always burn at 2-2.4x?

Still, at least the Tesco discs seem to work (on the basis of the first one anyway)

30. 2BadgersBlue

2BadgersBlue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm considering this DVD player but noticed that the manual says only CD-R for DivX playback.
    Has anyone tried a DivX or XVid file on a DVD-R/+R?