Toshiba SD-340E Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Steve170, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Steve170

Steve170

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all,

Got a Tosh SD-340E yesterday from Play.com. It refuses to play quite a few of my discs, including Lord of The Rings Extended Editions, Matrix Reloaded, Star Wars - Episode 2. Usually it just sits there making worrying noises when the disc is first loaded, until eventually gives an invalid disc message.

Strangely, a few discs, such as Kill Bill and Star Wars original trilogy, seem to play fine. Anyone else experienced problems with this model? All discs are original region 2 and play fine on my old LG player. Discs aren't dirty or anything as some are brand new discs.

Very annoying as I now have to return it and Play are being less than helpful.

Cheers,
    Steve.

2. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Strange, my Reloaded and SW ep 2 played fine. But the first couple of attemps at LOTR ex it didn't like it at all. Then when it did start it was fine. I'll stick it in again to see what happens, and TTT ex and TROTK ex to see if they do the same.

3. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Just had a quick spin of all three LOTR ex versions and all are fine, even FOTR which was a bit dodgy the first time. But my 340e has been fully powered up since I bought it so it's had more than a day to burn in.

4. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When I was testing the 340 it played every disk thrown at it...
    I guess you have a faulty machine..

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Return the player straight away.If the retailer kicks up a fuss,a couple of words they hate more than dracula hates garlic-TRADING STANDARDS.

6. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think play are pretty good for returns

7. Steve170

Steve170

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks all. Play have finally confirmed it will be collected by Parcel Force tomorrow. I noticed it was listed as sold out on their site yesterday and now it's gone completely, so looks like a refund is likely.

Ido, interesting that you had a few probs with LOTR at first. With mine, FOTR played fine until about 45 mins in, to where Gandalf first meets Sarumen I think. Then it refused to play further. TTT and ROTK wouldn't load at all.

Must admit, I'm a bit put off getting another 340E now. On the discs that did play, I didn't think the picture on the 340E was much different from my old LG 3350E player (several years old) and that was with the 340E hooked up to my brand spanking new Tosh 36ZP48 via component with progressive scan on, versus the LG hooked up via S-Video. Maybe the TV settings needed more fine tuning though.

Steve.

8. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yes adjust your TV settings - prob the brightness needs to come down to around 50, contrast about 60, colour about 50...