Toshiba SD-330E picture & sound problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PaddChas, Oct 19, 2003.

1. PaddChas

PaddChas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently bought the SD330E from Amazon, with the multi-region hack. I'm having a few different problems with picture - not sure if they're related to each other either. Have searched the threads and not found anything too similar, but was hoping someone might be able to help please?

My system is:- Toshiba SD330E Multi-region, linked to a Philips 32PW6526 via RGB scart. Also linked to Creative Inspire 5700 by digital coaxial.

1) On all discs - any region, original or DVD+R, there is a strange effect when there is a change of scene involving big change of contrast - e.g. daylight to darkness or vice versa. For a split second as the scene changes, there is what I can only describe as a flash of green colour on the screen. Almost as if the player or TV had to momentarily adjust to the change in colour/contrast. I have advanced discs frame by frame to make sure that the first frame is light, and the next dark with no green frame inbetween - and there isn't. But even when advancing frame by frame, the effect still occurs - so it is not dependant on the speed of playback. It gets quite annoying to watch. Any thoughts?

2) On all discs - any region, original or DVD+R, there is the very occasional (perhaps once every half hour) slight skip in the picture. Only very slight, it looks like only a fraction of frames are jumped, perhaps 3 or 4. If you blink you would miss it but it is again annoying. If you scan back through the disc and replay where the skip happened it won't happen the second time round (so it isn't the disc..). Again, any thoughts? I am not imagining it! ;)

3) On all Region 1 discs (granted I have not tried anything other than Region 1 and 2) the picture quality is nowhere near as good as Region 2. It is hard to explain the effect but here goes... First off, the resolution doesn't seem as high. The picture also seems like it has been slightly zoomed in artificially (I haven't proved this, but it does seem like a small amount of the picture is missing off the edges of the screen). The picture also seems to shake, only very very slightly, you might describe it as a quiver. It is all very off putting!

4) Finally, re: sound output - do others find that the output from the digital coax cuts briefly when a) flipping chapter on a disc and b) when a DVD-9 switches layer? This is also annoying, particularly the change of layer because it is unavoidable..

Are these problems with the DVD player or perhaps the TV? Bear in mind the previous player I had didn't show these effects so I am leaning towards assuming it is the player and not the screen.

Hope you can help. Cheers

James

2. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I knew exactly what problems you were going to list when I saw this thread title - I've experienced them myself.

1) This is a RGB problem the player has with some TV's. Mine would do it on my Phillips 28PW6006 widescreen. I switched to S-video and the problem was gone. Admittedly a slight drop in PQ but one that I can live with.

2)This is another common problem with the player. It happens rarely on mine. Usually once a film. Not a big issue for me personally. Check THIS thread at DVD Forums for more info.

3)Not had this problem. Sorry.

4)Not had the specific problem you've got. My player seems to cause my home theatre to emit a high pitch "screech" on some menu screens. It only happens occasionally and whilst isn't a big problem can make me jump when I've got the volume up!

My player also came from Amazon.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,183
    I tried a picture CD (X-Men 2) that I got with a news paper and the pictures showed OK for a second then moved up the TV and cropped part off. It was OK in my Pioneer 565.

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Not had any problems with mine, I have a Panny TX28PK1 which used to have problems with my Sony S715.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I've owned an Amazon 330 but it went back after two months due to various problems or minor irritations with it.

I never used RGB out on mine as I bought it for use with a projector and used the component out ports. The picture was generally excellent and very detailed with region 2 high bit rate dvds. I was very disappointed with its handling of lower bit rate dvds and ntsc dvds. To be honest mine was pretty hopeless with a lot of grain/blocking.

2. I would guess the skipping may be caused by the fact that the dvd loader in this model is so slow. I reckon its no more than a 2x drive and if someone said it was 1x I would believe them. Basically I think one read error causes a skip. There is no time to reread that sector as the drive is so slow and the player simply compensates by repeating a frame. You only have to look at the picture search mode as anything above 2x breaks into a series of frames. My drive started off as excellent. Seemed to read all my dvd-rs and was quiet. 2 months later approx it had become a lot more noisy and wouldn't read some of the dvd-rs it used to read. However I never encountered any skipping.

3. With regard ntsc theres a reason why the resolution doesn't seem as high and thats because its not. NTSC is lower resolution. Often region 1s are better than region 2 and of course you get a better frame rate of 30fps instead of 25fps. However region 2 is higher resolution its that simple and if the dvd is properly mastered on pal with some real effort put in the region 2 will be superior in detail and resolution. However I'm not sure its that simple with the 330 as I personally think its ntsc performance is worse than it should be even taking ntsc's lower resolution into account.

4. I personally wasn't happy with the digital output via optical. DTS seemed out of sync at times. I also got the nastly loud blip noise between the different movie files. I.e. put in the dvd then I would probably get a blip just as the first image appeared like the movie company and I might get another blip when the menu comes up. Also SVCD audio was out of sync and you had to press the angle button on the remote to correct it which annoyed me.

The way I see it is the 330 is a tiny and stylish dvd player with excellent display circuitry. However its got a **** poor dvd loader and Toshiba seem to be in no hurry to sort out the firmware.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who will use it with a dts capable amplifier or anyone who watches a lot of svcds.

The annoying thing is still has the best picture of any dvd player at anywhere near the price for decent reasonably high bit rate region 2 dvds.

6. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've just this moment fixed the first problem you mentioned that I too suffered from. I've just ran the DVD player through my Digibox and the problem has disappeared!

Just in case anyone else suffers from this.

On a sidenote any experts know why this has fixed it? Out of interest.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    If your talking about the RGB signal then by linking it via the skybox you have attenuated/reduced it and therefore bought it down to a signal level that your television is happier with. This could probably also be achieed by using a very cheap high resistance scart lead. Basically the Toshiba's RGB output level is slightly too high for your television when connected directly or your television is too sensitive via its scart rgb pins.