1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD-240E problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zaichik, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I bought my parents one of these players from Amazon for Christmas. It had been modded for multi-region.

As they only had one DVD (and I forgot to take some with me), I was only able to give it a proper test a few days ago. It quite often takes several attempts to get it to recognise and load up a disc (especially one it hasn't played before), and region 1 playback (on the one disc I had to try) was very stuttery.

I can't return it to Amazon because my parents have thrown away the box (despite me expressly telling them not to), so it looks like they're stuck with it.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this is with this players and is there anything I can do to fix it?

2. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's worth contacting Amazon to see if they can either repair or swap it. Maybe someone on the forum has more legal knowledge but if it doesn't work then you should be entitled to at least a repair? Try Amazon first but the Citizens Advice and Trading standards are there for info.

Having said that I bought one before xmas on the basis that it had a good right up in the mags and am very disappointed too. Mine won't play a load of my DVD-R's. From the threads I've read they are very picky about discs - a cheap laser or something. Have you tried one of those cleaning discs?

Sorry I can't help more.

Bigfatsi

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The box would only be necessary if you were wanting to return the item as 'an unwanted present' (for example) and it is entirely at the stores discretion if they accept it back.

If you believe the item is either (a) faulty or (b) does not do what they claimed it could in their advert then you have rights either under the manufactures warrenty (for option a) or under the Sales of Goods Act (for option a or b). Your rights are not to be in a financially worse off possition due to your purchasing of the product and therefore the retailer would have to either (1) take the product back and give full refund (2) repair the item (3) replace the item (4) if it is below the advertised spec they can offer a partial refund and you retain the item. For the above you would not need the box (though it is convenient to use to package the item for return)

Contact Amazon and advise them that the product is faulty - given it is a budget item and it is a mail order company the likelyhood is that will request you to return it to them, will test it and assuming they find a problem will send out a replacement item.

4. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Thanks both for your advice. From what you say Bigfatsi, maybe it isn't faulty after all - maybe it's just the way the player is. I'm also wondering if the Region 1 problem is due to the player being set to output to PAL 50 as someone suggested in response to a similar problem in another thread I read yesterday. I'm not so worried about that as I doubt my folks will buy any region discs anyway.

5. schnoz

schnoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think that you'll find that the this player is fussy when it comes to playing media,especially self written discs.Mine certainly is.
    Is yours able to return to where you left a movie,when it's been turned off?.