1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD-220E vs Yamaha DVD-S520

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nsherin, May 14, 2003.

1. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Can anyone advise me which is the better player to go for? The Toshiba is £100 and the Yamaha £120 at Richer Sounds. Both are multi-region versions. I have heard that the Yamaha does have problems with freezes, etc.

Thanks,
    Neil

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

This was true in my case, the Yamaha was very nearly a brilliant player in my opinion, it eventually went back and was replaced with a Pioneer because it kept stopping between chapter changes in the same way you would expect it to on layer changes.

I have no experience with the Tosh, but it has always got good reviews.

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Ive got the tosh and Ive been very happy with it, I think its performance and build are pretty good for £100. Ive had mine for about 8 months and havent had any problems with it.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Yamaha is a better player in my opinion. Petter picture and sound quality.

The build quality also seems superior. I bought a Tosh 220 for my parents from RS. It stopped working after a week of use. I took it back and they changed it for the Yamaha at the same price. Result.

I was well impressed. I though the quality was pretty much as good as my Pioneer. But what really swings it is the compatability. The Tosh is notoriously picky when it comes to playing CDR. They dont like the cheap discs. So if you are playing VCD, SVCD like my parents you can have problems. I also have a friend who has the one and he had the same problems. Skipping on VCD playback when recorded on cheap discs. They are also not great on DVD r compatability and can be quite fussy in my experience. (They dont play +RW for example).

I was really impressed with the Yamaha to be honest. Not just the quality but the compatability. Multi Region RCE from RS the model I got and it plays evcerything I have tested on it. VCD, SVCD, cheapo CDR, cheap DVD -r, DVD +R etc.....

Very impressive. Didnt see the chapter change issue mentioned on my parents. I tested it with the Region 1 Matrix DVD which is normally a good one for trying out on cheap players. Worked perfectly

Very impressed.

Also looks very nice.

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me if the mechanics of the 220 is quiet?
    I have the Pioneer 535...great kit...but when it starts playing it's very loud.

also changing levels it's very very slow.

Is teh Toshiba an improvement?

6. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Yamaha 520 for nearly 18 months and its a great player and very quiet mechanism with superb build quality. The Tosh is a bit more plasticky but is well regarded on here and in the mags.

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I agree. I didnt like the Tosh at all. I am glad it was faulty and I got the Yamaha for my parents instead.

I am a Pioneer man myself but I was really really impressed with it. A Bargain for £100 multi region. Great player very unrated in my opinion.

8. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had Yamaha kit since 1993, when I was looking for my first DVD player last Summer I was interested in the Y520. Instead, based on reviews and what I read here, I opted for the Tosh 220, and was v.happy with it. I only traded up (to the Tosh 510) in order to get the NTSC prog scan.

ditton

(Folklore has it that 4mm heavy glass on top of Tosh dvd players improves picture quality & sound!)

9. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The tosh transport is pretty loud but I dont know how it compares to other players. When you say levels if you mean when the dvd changes level then I havent ever noticed it but I might just be blind.