1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD 220 E - anyone got one or read any reviews yet? I've seen it for £150.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dave48, Mar 22, 2002.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking at buying a good but budget priced DVD player as a birthday present (not for me!). I had thought about a Toshiba 210 as this has had rave reviews for its DVD performance and is pretty cheap.

I walked into my local electronics superstore - there were no 210's there but a large pile of 220 E's! At € 249 a go! [About £150 if my maths is right].

Is this player any good? Even if it is only "as good" as the 210 it is very very tempting.

I don't care about DVD-A, SACD, HDCD, progressive out, onboard DD or DTS decoders or any of that stuff for this player - I just need something with a really good picture, all the necessary functions and sounds good fed into a decent-ish amp.

I'm keen to see if anyone already has one of these machines - or at least has read a review. The shop where I've seen this player is hopeless for demos - tried this before but it was a waste of time. They just want to sell boxes.

Let me know soon - I need to buy a player urgently to avoid being in deep doo-doos.

Dave48

2. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    As you say,if it is only as good as the 210,then it will be the one to go for.It might not even be released in the UK yet because the retailer that i have got my last 2 DVD players from(Tosh 2109 & 210) is not expecting to have it in stock until 25th March.I have only read the spec on their website and looks pretty good.One of my friends has already ordered one.The only downside for me is that it only appears to be available in silver,i prefer black.

3. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is definitely available in black - the unpacked player on top of the pile was black. Haven't seen it in silver yet.

Dave48

4. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Does it have anything over the 210? I've looked at the specs and differences seem only cosmetic.

Regards.

5. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I couldn't see anything obviously different either. The 210 did (or does?) basically all I need, so as long as the new model has not got worse or introduced any new problems, I don't really mind!

Checking on a German forum earlier I noticed a couple of people talking about the drive mechanism being a bit noisy when loading a disk. However they all stated that the 210 had exactly the same "feature". Anyone who owns a 210 noticed this?

Dave48

6. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Yes the 210 can be noisy when the disc is loading but you soon get used to it and i hardley notice it now.The 220 may well be the same but it wouldnt put me off at all.Going by the spec,the only differences i can see between the 210 and the 220 apart from the much slimmer design,is the DVD-R compatibility and the 5 picture mode presets. My friend who has ordered one from Leading Edge Concepts http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm was told by them that they will not have any black ones but this could change in the future.