1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD-210EB sound problem (very low volume)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by strugz, Apr 15, 2003.

1. strugz

strugz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few days ago, my Toshiba SD-210EB inexplicably and spontaneously decided to start playing my DVDs and music CDs at about a 20th of the normal volume. I now can't hear my DVDs at all, and audio CDs are only just audible, even with the TV volume set to maximum.

There is nothing wrong with any of the other equipment I have plugged into the TV or with the TV itself; I have carried out several tests to ensure this. The problem definitely lurks in the DVD player.

Has anyone experienced similar/identical trouble with this model? Any ideas on what the specific fault is or how much it will cost to fix would also be much appreciated.

Cheers :)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Have you checked the obvious - the wires are firmly connected into the machine? If so have you inadvertantly altered any of the settings in the Setup/Audio menu? What are you audio settings here? How are you connected to the TV and do you use the optical/electrical audio out?

3. strugz

strugz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I have checked all the wires, tried 3 different SCART leads, had a go with the both phono and optical audio outputs, but no luck. I have also tried pretty much every possible combination of audio settings in the player's menu. No luck :confused:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Have you tried pressing the EAM button? That could 'possibly' have caused this effect. Details on page 32 of the Manual.

5. strugz

strugz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestion, Rasczak. I've played about with the EAM settings but the sound doesn't get any louder on any of the three available settings.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Hmmm. Don't know what else to suggest - there aren't really THAT many settings on a 210 which could cause this. I assume you have tried completely unplugging it and restarting it?

Failing that, unless anyone else has any suggestions, I would take it down to a repair shop and see if they can diagnose the problem.

7. strugz

strugz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I've gone as far as I can with it. I might take it to a repair shop but I'm not really prepared to pay money just to be told what's wrong with it, then more money on top of that to get it fixed.

I've just ordered a Sony DVP-NS405 multi-region player to replace it, so if I do get the SD-210 repaired I'll probably sell it. Or do you think it would be a good idea to sell it in its present condition for parts etc?