1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RPTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tommymuldy, Mar 6, 2003.

1. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys/Gals,

I am really desperate for advice regarding setting up some home entertainment equipment and by looking at the forums here, you guys seem to know your stuff!!!

My first thoughts are:

Toshiba 42PW23P (have seen what I think is a good deal on comet.co.uk for £1099)

Phillips DVDR880 (£380 multiregion is this a good price?)

Eltax Spectrum surround speaker/sub package (£99) I know people don't like Eltax but I have never had any problems with the ones I run through my Hi-Fi set-up

I will be watching DVDs, the occasional Video through my rubbish LG VCR, Sky Digital and playing my PS2 through the set-up.

I could strecth the budget a little further if I spread the cost over a couple of months, maybe up to about £1800-£2000 absolute maximum.

-Do we think I should be going for the Phillips or Panasonic DVD recorder?

-What would be the best connection method to connect it all? Would it be component connection and can I do this with the Tosh RPTV?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this, but I would really appreciate some input.

Thanks,

Mat

-

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to an expensive hobby Mat. Make sure whoever delivers your rptv sends a two man courier as I don't think you'll be carrying that beasty with your knee!:D :clap: :hiya:

3. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the 42PW23p for just over a week now and am getting happier with it by the day ... sussing out the service level convergence process helped. :smoke:

I would say that good quality SCARTS are the way to go, there is component in on the Tosh but I think you sacrifice auto widescreen switching with that ... and the Sky-box won't have component out.

I have RGB to AV1 for Sky and S-Video to AV2 for DVD.

X-box goes through SCART switch box to AV1 in RGB along with Sky.

AV3 and component are empty.

Mark

4. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi mjm,

Thanks for your reply, answered a couple of my q's. I am very glad to hear it seems a good piece of kit.

Do you know how many scart inputs it has? I am thinking about whether there is going to be space to run the DVD and VCR through it. If not, how do I do that?

As for you James 45, leave my knee alone!!!

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scart switch box you can buy them in argos and let you feed a bunch of scarts into one scart socket.

If you're set on a dvd recorder don't worry about component as none of them seem to use it, a good RGB scart feed will still look fantastic. the new Panny E50 looks well nice, although with a new model coming out you maybe able to get the older E30 a fair bit cheaper.

I've just got my hands on Avia (setup disc) so I'll bring it with me when I come down to check out the bachelor pad. Please don't buy those speakers though... how much thought, care and attention could go into a £99 set of speaker?

6. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The component input does support pal 16:9 switching.

7. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that's interesting ... which 'lead' carries this signal?

Any recommendations for component leads ... nothing too OTT .. web based retailers preferred.

Mark

8. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not carried on a lead but a line within the PAL signal. It does not work with NTSC.

9. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh has 3 Scarts (only 1 is RGB :( ), its also has component video as AV4 ... AV3 can be conected via Scart at rear or RCA / S-Video on front ... not both.

Mark

10. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want the very best from your Toshiba rear projection, these are the settings I recommend after a lot of testing, searching the internet, conversations with ISF calibrators etc.

Contrast: 14 (using mode 2)
    Brightness: 54
    Sharpness: 0 (make sure svm is disabled)
    Colour: 50
    Tint: never touch
    DNR: Only if you need it
    Natural Scan

Always use Natural Scan despite what anyone says. As soon as any panning or fast movement takes place it will revert to 100 Hz mode (the memory is used up) so you wont find any artefacts (fast vertical pans can cause problems but these are rare).

To disable SVM, search for a previous post written by me which details the procedure.

And remember, when doing the convergence via the menu or service menu, do remember that convergence has to be set for each mode (wide, 4:3 etc.) and for NTSC and PAL. Many do not realise this.

I do recommend changing the grey bars to black, as the grey bars do have a big effect on the image (watch a dark scene in 4:3 and you will notice that no matter how low your brightness or contrast are, the bars will "Halo" in on the 4:3 image). If you have an all in one Magic button remote or can get one cheap, give it a go.

Hope this helps.

11. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot for all this guys. I am really looking forward to getting it in a couple of weekends time. All I have to do know is decide on the speakers and DVD recorder.

Thanks for the settings info Tim.

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ignore me if I'm talking tripe but does macrovision effect RPTVs?

13. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a quick search on the forums and can't find your post re SVM ... I've heard it mentioned before so can you either post a link and / or explain the role of SVM, whay it should be disabled and how to do it.

Also do you have a link to the 'Grey Bars to Black' procedure.

Mark

14. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I posted it under another account... anyway, here is a good link with good pics...

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/generaltweaks/svm_disable_40h80.html

If you have the new toshiba rear with the smarter cabinet, the same applies but obviously you will have to find another way to get insider her.

To turn those grey bars black perform the following, but be warned, I think alot of you like your contrast very high. If you use anything higher than 32 on mode 3 and 22 on mode 2 you may get screen burn if you watch alot of 4:3 stuff.

You need a One For All remote. This is the only way I have found so far which allows access to the ADDR mode, which is even more 'powerful' than the design mode. You will find little about the design mode in the service manual and nothing about the ADDR mode.

set it for Toshiba code 0156. Try turning the TV on and off with the remote now to see if you did it properly.

Next, set the macro button on the remote (per the instructions) so that the macro sequence is: setup button, (labelled on some Oneforalls as the 'magic' button) then 0, 1, 4.
    Remove all inputs from the TV (don't know if this matters, but I did it just in case) I then put my TV in Video 1 input and put it in standard mode so I could see the gray bars.
    Pressing the macro button once should now put your TV in the ADDR mode. You will see the letters ADDR in the upper left corner and some letters and numbers.
    Now, pressing the VOLUME button will change parameters, so don't press it unless you feel like experimenting. Simply press the CHANNEL up and down and you will cycle through parameters without making any changes. Stop when you reach the following parameter: (I had to scroll up for a WHILE)

2B7H - this controls the brightness of the sidebars and will probably show you a value of 07.

Now - simply press the volume down until that value reaches 00. (you will see the side bars turn black) TURN YOUR SET OFF TO EXIT ADDR MODE.