1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RP Service Menu - What are these?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Juvenut, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Juvenut

Juvenut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a Tosh 42WH46 and am highly pleased with the TV.

Have used Demons guidance to access the Service Menu and although its been stated no real damage to the TV can be done by changing the settings I was wondering what exactly all the setting do, cuz I am having one or two minor irritations with the picture.

Can anyone explain what these are and what effect changing them might have?

RDTV, RCUT, GCUT, BCUT, BDRV, BRTC, TNTC, SCNT, SCNV, COLP, COLC, COLS, HPOS, HIT, VLIN, VCEN, WID, PARA, CNR, TRAP, OPT2

I have my settings noted but was wondering if you can tinker with these settings to optimise the TV or would that simply make a b*lls of everything!

Thanks

2. humax

humax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you care to share the key sequence that allows you to enter the service menu? Other people might be interested too.

3. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Press MUTE on your TV's front panel - then hold down MUTE on your remote control and press MENU on the TV's front panel at the same time.

PROGRAM +/- will progress through different menu options and VOLUME +/- will change the setting of each item.

Beware though, you CAN screw your TV! Just make sure that you write down the value of all of the settings BEFORE you start to change them and you'll be able to set them all back to default if you end up with a squashed green picture!

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Basically the only values I would even touch are
    HPOS - Horizontal Position, same as a PC monitor.. moves the entire picture left/right
    WID - Width, Stretches/Compresses the picture horizontally
    HIT - Height - stretches/compresses the picture vertically
    VCEN - Vertical Centre - moves the entire picture up/down

PARA/CNR/TRAP - Parabolic/Corner/Trapezoid adjustment can be used, but are almost redundant due to service level convergence which allows better manipulation of the geometry..

VLIN - I think is the vertical linearity, which is next to useless compared to service level convergence..

As for the Rest, leave well alone, messing with things like GCUT/GDRV will affect the white balance of the set, and this needs to be done with a colour analyser for perfect adjustment, it took me many years to even be able to manually tweak these by eye, and thats only by working on sets day in, day out... :)
    All the other values will either affect colour or gray scale response, and can only really be set with the right equipment..

Of course, always write down any values you change, so you can go back to them.. but don't go experimenting too much, in design mode, the set can be really screwed up, and some values will cause the data to be reset, which is game over....

Best sticking to just the service level convergence, and only if the picture is majorally shifted in one direction or the other, the HPOS/WID/HIT/VCEN can be used to shift it around, but this will affect your convergence, so after any changes, you need to go back and re-converge..

Oh, and some values are stored per screen size mode (wide/super live, etc), and some are stored for PAL/NTSC as well, and maybe even video input... so adjustment can take a long time, as you may need to switch modes/colour systems etc to alter everything.. thats why the service level convergence is handy, it allows you to adjust for all modes from a single menu...

Please be careful when doing any of this.. my original guide was only for reference, and I can't stress enough, that messing too much with the set and not writing things down will lead to tears... :)

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VLIN is indeed vertical linearity, but if I'd agree with Demon if you need to adjust this on an RPTV then the convergence net can't be right in the first place.

6. philyboy

philyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive also got the toshiba 42wh36, and having read Demons excelent guide on doing the service level convergence decided that i should give it a try. The green grid on my set was not perfect as it bent up slightly bottom right which gave the picture a off horizontal tilt at the bottom. I managed to get it somthing like and aligned the convergence and am well impressed with the difference in the picture. I remember seeing on this site a grid which could be printed and used as a template to set the convergence green grid up ive done a search but cant find anything as anyone got any ideas? I feel confident enough now to have a go at getting my picture geometry sorted as it is not what it could be but its better than it was :suicide:

cheeers Phil

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It surprises me how bad these sets can be for geometry - especially when you consider that most factories making PJTV probably have auto gears to do the picture setup. I mean potentially the geometry on a PJTV should be nigh perfect because you can adjust virtually every aspect of the picture shape!

I guess I was lucky, mine was pretty good out of the box - just the usual minor tweaks for a month or so as the set bedded in. I barely have to touch it these days.

8. Juvenut

Juvenut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys. I wasnt gonna tinker with these anyway but I was just curious as to whether they can be used for any easy useful purpose.

I do have another Q. tho. If I was to open my TV in order to try to see if anthing is causing a small blue spot on the bottom right of my screen do I invalidate the warranty? Can the manufacturer or engineer tell if Ive already opened the Tv unit?

I am very pleased with the picture on this set however for it to be at its optimum it has to run for about 3-4 hours, then its fantastic! When warming up its good anyway, but it does take a bit of getting used to the warm-up factor. Best recommendation I can give is everytime one of my mates see's it with them all having paid £1000 for their 32inch sets they all say: "Jeez what a TV!! £850? I've been ripped off....I think I'll get one of those instead!"

For large picture some small sacrafices do have to be made, but its well worth the money.

9. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of 'small blue spot' is it? Difficult to know what to suggest without knowing it's size, sharp or soft, patch, ect...try and describe what it looks like.

If you're careful there's no seals that I know of that Tosh use - well, I have none on mine anyway. So you can pry around a bit. But if you remove the screen beware - it's very flexible and very easy to damage.

10. bgmiller01

bgmiller01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Does anyone have a link to Demon's convergence guide?