1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RP Convergence, saving changes

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by GuardedResponse, Nov 24, 2001.

1. GuardedResponse

GuardedResponse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I've spent the last hour or so searching this forum trying to find the answer to this question but with no luck, so here goes.
    I know how to get into the service menu (mute/menu) and alter convergence (f, 7) and the keys necessaary to align the grids. However I'm not sure that I'm saving the settings when I've finished. I exit using the > curser key. The reason I think it's not saving the settings is that after the set has been powered off the convergence seems to have drifted again, even after a good hour warming up. Is there a specific key press to save the changes I make?
    Thanks, GR

2. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That is the correct key as far as I know. Does the screen "Implode" after pressing the curser key??

What model set have you??

Regards

3. GuardedResponse

GuardedResponse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark. Yes the screen does 'implode' after pressing the > key, does this mean the settings are being saved? Model is 40PW03.

GR

4. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes that does mean that the settings are saved.

I must admit to not being familar with your model but the procedures are roughly the same throughout the range, I think in "User" convergence you only have one cross to align?

I have the 46wh and set the covergence over two months ago without the need for further tweaking.

stupid question, but how long have you let the set warm up before setting it up?? I must confess mine is literally on for hours before I do it.

Which colour is drifting and is it more noticeable say on RGB or s-video etc??

There was some problems reported a while ago that some models were not remembering the saved settings but these were very few!!

I would suggest:-

a) May a note of the total time the set is on while setting up one screen (Say Superlive) to best convergence.

b) Check the next day after the same period of time has passed
    and look for drift. Hopefully al will be well.

Please be aware, that you don't have to set the convergence for all inputs, only screen sizes.

If you bother to set up NTSC, take the scarts out.. AT least number 3.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

5. GuardedResponse

GuardedResponse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Mark. Colour drift seems to happen at the extremes of the picture and it seems that (if this makes sense) blue drifts to the left and red to the right eg. if theres white text on the screen the left of the first letter will show blue bleed and the irght of the text red. Don't get me wrong, this is not extreme by any means and I've seen CRTs with worse problems..... but I know it's there.

GR

6. GuardedResponse

GuardedResponse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition to my previous post, I set NTSC wide while displaying a R1 disk. I think that actually timing the checks may be a good idea; I always let the set warm up before changing anything, but may be a bit hasty when checking for errors on next use after setting up convergence.

GR

7. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes try the timing check.

The blue and red guns are reflected from the mirror in the direction you describe the drift for them.

Also, some sets take longer to settle in than others from new or after being moved for that matter.

For what it's worth, the longer mine is turned on the better the picture.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards