Toshiba Rom Dvd

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mps, Mar 21, 2002.

1. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hello,
    I am about to purchase a toshiba dvd rom model no SDM 1612 from Dabs and i was wondering whether this drive can be modified for multiregion as the site mentioned in this forum says that all drives made after Dec 2001,There is no firmware or patch for it as yet.If any of you who have this drive purchased after this date and are running region free please advise.

Thanks,
    Mps.

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    -Toshiba SD-M1612 (16X/48X) 1004
    (Known firmware : 1004)
    You can make your drive region free (RPC-1) by using this patched 1004 RPC-1 firmware (patch by XVI).
    Newest drive manufactured after December 2001 use a different hardware (revB hardware) and can't be flashed with available firmware. There is currently no region free solution for these drives.
    RPC-2

Above taken from a great little site - http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/dvd/dvdfi.htm
    that contains lot of info on what DVD rom drives are and are not region free.

Sounds to me if it's a new driver (after Dec 2001) then it can't be made region free. AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!!!!
    Get your self a cheap LiteOn drive from www.overclockers.co.uk
    for £41.83

3. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks Alan,
    Just ordered a Lite-on as mentioned.

Regards.

4. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Alan,
    I got this drive now installed and running perfectly. Is there a way to make this drive region free as the site farenzo gives you all the downloads and utility but its very unclear about its installation process.Iwas wondering if there is a easier way that you know or anyone on this forum.My system is running on Win ME ,Liteon ltd163 drive with Powerdvd player.

Regards.
    Mps.

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Sounds straight forward to me -

A RPC-1 utility is available. This utility can RESET or turn ON/OFF the RPC mode. When the RPC is turned OFF, the drive will became a RPC-1 drive. (Tested with firmware GH4F, GH4S, GH4W, GH5E)
    RPC-2

Run the RPC-1 util and set RPC to off if you have the correct firmware version. If you don't have the correct firmware then download it and load it into the device (instruction should be included).

Not having a DVD Rom drive I've no idea how the RPC-1 util works (or what it looks like).

6. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks Alan,
    Got it sorted before Easter but was away hence the late reply.If anyone needs to know how, give me a shout through this forum.

Regards,
    mps.