Toshiba Regza 42" pulsating sound

Navrig

I have a Toshiba which has suddenly developed a pulsating sound problem but only on a couple of TV channels.

Currently watching Oceans 12 on ITV2+1 and during the film the volume varies with the music/dialogue mix.

Music with no dialogue results in lower volume.

Dialogue no music the volume is good.

Dialogue and music and the volume is a tad too high.

It also seems that the "F" word is partially masked by lowering the volume.

This effect is also experienced on the channel which shows Friends repeats.

None of the other channels do this.

Recently our Harmony 500 went phut and Logitech sent us a new 700 as a replacement. However I was away on business and I suspect one of the family fiddled with settings but they all deny it!!

Can anyone suggest what may be causing the volume to fluctuate like this?

Last edited:

Navrig

It seems that during the period when we had a broken Harmony someone pressed the AD button on the TV remote and this seems to cause the varying volume levels on some channels - presumably those which actually broadcast the AD facility.

I can't quite remember what the AD does but think it has something to do with audio descriptions overlaying the main soundtrack for those with vision difficulties. The AD track never played not sure why though.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The AD button is to switch betweenn the Analogue and Digital tuners, nothing to do with Audio Description.

Navrig

The AD button is to switch betweenn the Analogue and Digital tuners, nothing to do with Audio Description.
No. On the Toshiba remote the ATV/DTV button toggles between analogue and digital tuners.

There is a different button labeled AD.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom