Toshiba Rear Projection TV's... Are they good or not???

Iain Shields

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a widescreen rear projection tv and have been searching the forum to get some info on the new Toshiba 50in model that has recently been released.

The problem is I have come across quite a few posts from people who arn't happy at all with there Toshiba r.p tv's due to many different problems that they have had to deal with, there of course have been many posts from people very happy with their tv's aswell leading me into a situation of confusion....

Are they worth getting or not?????

Thanks in advance for any replies, I would like to make my mind up about this, they sure do look good...:) :confused:

Hi Iain,

Not sure how to answer this one now I have a new sense of responsibility (not wanting to say anything libelous ;0)

As you have noted, there have been many discussions about Tosh RPs in this forum, all of which I have followed with interest.
since I owned a few.

I reached my own conclusions.... These sets have the potential to be absolute crackers. The reviews in the magazines are right about that....

Sadly, not all RPs are made the same... :0) They are susceptible to various uh...idiosynchrosis that may range from those that are very slightly irritable to those that are darned annoying, so much in fact that you just can't live with them.

Personally, I will not buy another...though I'm sad to say that..if I set aside the anomaly that came pre-delivered with each set I loved them !

I haven't had the pleasure of auditioning sets in my home from all the other RP suppliers so I don't feel it's possible to be 100% objective about Tosh RPTvs in comparison with their rivals.

I was quite impressed with the customer service guys at Toshiba (eventually), who did spend a good deal of time assisting. Check out a few models in your local suppliers and see what you think. If you like them enough I reckon it's worth the risk :0) Delta would certainly recommend them based on his own experiences

Cheers
Daz

i've had the new 50wh18b for a couple of weeks now and am 100% satisfied. No problems at all and the quality of the picture is superb. LIke all RPs, it depends upon the quality of the signal but digital TV is excellent and DVD unbelievable. I have separate amp for audio but the TV's sound is remarkably good.

There's been lots of good advice on this forum for convergence so i'd advise following this to get the best out of the TV.

Picture out of the box was good though. Bit of playing around and it's now fantastic. I think the risk of getting a "bad" set is equally likely with any brand - what i do know is the potential of being delighted with the Tosh is there. For 50", there's no better value than the Tosh for me.

Don't get the optional stand - the height of the TV without it is just right.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm still in two minds as in what to do, I've started thinking about a cheap LCD projector at around the same price as what the Toshiba would cost but then it would be nice to have a big tv that I can use during the day...

Could anyone tell me about the drawbacks of owning a rear projection tv as I have never had one myself or don't know anyone with one...

Thanks in advance

Iain.

The only drawback I have found in the 2yrs of owning my 40" Tosh is that when I go round to friends and family my eyes hurt trying to watch teenie-weenie little 21/25" TV's from 10-15ft across a room;)

Hi Iain

I was in the same situation as you about 6 months ago. I wanted a RPTV but after reading about the problems on the forums it can put you off. Four months ago I bought a Tosh 46" and I've been delighted with it. The picture was fantastic straight out of the box, all I've had to do was reduce contrast etc. The only other thing thats needed attention was the convergance after I moved it to get to the back connections. It was easy to set. As far as problems go - none to report so far. It wasn't till I changed the Tv that I noticed just how good DVD's are. My last TV a 28" Toshiba was good but didn't really do them justice.:eek:

Iain,

I have had the new 50" Tosh for about two months, and I am yet to find a negative, indeed, I am more impressed with it now than when I bought it. The picture is superb when using digital sources, geometry spot on and the sound vg (especially since I now use a separate front left/right).

Compared with CRT windscreen 36”, you get a far larger picture, without the geometry errors/issues these TV's constantly seem to suffer from (if this forum is any indication) and at approximately the same price (£2000). You also get a free Tosh DVD player throw in.

The 100Hz processing is as good as it gets – no smearing. I also looked at DLP & LCD projectors, some cheaper, but most considerably more expensive – my conclusion, picture quality good at best until £4000 mark – compared with RPTV’s, larger picture, but not better; high level of inconvenience of running a projector in a domestic living room. The Tosh, has undoubted physical and visual impact on your living space (but then that is what is intended), but it is no more inconvenient to operate than a 25” CRT.

Kirthen

Ha my Tosh 40" RP TV for a couple of weeks and I am well IMPRESSED with it.
The picture is fantastic, I was gobsmacked at the quality.
DVDs are best (via RGB).
Don't believe all you read in the reviews though. I have found that analog terrestial gives a MUCH better pic than Digital TV, providing you get a good signal.

The only minor problem is that some digi broadcasts can look TERRIBLE. Extremely blocky and sometimes un-watchable. This is not the fault of the TV, but the lossy, high compression used by broadcasters. It is so bad that I complained to the ITC recently, who wrote back and agreed with me. They said they are 'looking into it'.

If there's a footy match on terrestial then I ALWAYS watch it in analog rather than didital.

This is only because it's a larger, sharper TV than most and all the digi artefacts get amplified.

S-VHS is also AWESOME and VHS is surprisingly good on a 40" RP TV.

I know how you feel, it took me 2 months to decide but I finally took the plunge and went for the Tosh 40WH08B.
I don't regret it at all.

GO FOR IT, YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED.

Just one other thing...

Don't go off the pic quality you see in the shop. They are rarely set up correctly and usually show an a poor analog signal that is being shared by every TV in the shop. Also the 100Hz Fluorescent lighting doesn't help either.

Hi Iain,

I have had my Toshiba 46WH08B for about 6 months now and the set has been fantastic from day 1! The picture quality was superb straight out of the box and the Toshiba guys who delivered it were more than helpful.
I've only had the odd convergance tweak to perform after moving the set around and despite getting used to the sheer size of the tv it still brings a smile to my face.

Ian

The Toshiba range of RP tv's is probably the best on the market. Set up properly they perform very well and give stunning pictures. Go for it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom