1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba Rear Projection or CRT

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chriscarthy, Aug 17, 2002.

1. chriscarthy

chriscarthy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Toshiba 42WT29 Rear projection tv with DD and DVB or either the 36ZT29 which also has DD and DVB or the 36ZD26 which does not.
    The best prices i have found for these sets are:

42Wt29 : £1420 from Empire direct
    36ZT29 : £1630 from Robertsons
    36ZD26 : £1350 from Robertsons

Is it worth paying more for digital tv and surround sound or would it be better to buy a dedicated DD 5.1 system with the money saved? Also, Is it worth putting up with the poorer picture quality on the rear projection to get 6 inches of extra screen size!?!
    Another thing is, does any1 have an opinion of the two 36 inch strata tv's? I think these look gorgeous on photos but have never seen one in reality! Which shops display them? How much storage space is there in the cabinets and whats the build quality like?

One last thing!, If any1 has found better prices for any of the three models please advise me!
    Thanks for your help

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Let me just make a comment on the sizes: the diagonal of a direct view set is of the whole tube, including the bezel and that inflates the number by about 2". So the viewable diagonal on a 36" set is around 34".

On RPTV sets, the diagonal specified is normally the viewable diagonal of the screen.

3. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currys have end of line Toshiba 42WH18Bs for £1197, you'll have to be quick if you want one though at that price. It's the same TV as the 42WT29 but without DVB.

4. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    'poorer picture' :confused:

You must be referring to RP TVs from several years ago. There's nothing 'poor' about the pic quality on today's Tosh, Sony & Pan RPs.

Like Zacabeb said, you'll get an extra 8 inches and not 6, a BIG difference.

I recommend Tosh, stunning pic with a matt finish screen, gives it that 'dynamic cinema' screen effect.

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Got to agree with Kevo (I've got the same TV), picture quality, particularly with DVD is stunning.

John

7. DM1972

DM1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the new or the now discontinued model Toshiba RPTV...... I was very apprehensive about going for this style of TV, but after spending a couple of hours setting it up it looks stunning.

The best part is when people who have never seen TVs that big before have to pick their jaws up off the floor :)

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yip!!, I have the 42wh18b and its fantastic. I was very wary of getting the rp but now I love it and would find it hard to go back to crt. Picture is awsome.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Glad to see the 'Usual Tosh RP Suspects' rallying round :)