1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba rear pro problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ianmidz, Mar 29, 2003.

1. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a toshiba 42pw23 and 220e dvd.
    After spending ages setting the convergeance the pic looks fab- however, change to R1 disc and the convergeance is out at the edges! This only happend with r1
    I am using component cables to connect it all up
    please help

2. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you fix the convergence via the user menu ie the one you 'allowed' (9 point, crosshairs etc) to use or the service level (60 odd point, convergence grid) mode?

In the service level, you need to adjust each aspect (Wide, Cinema, 4:3) etc seperatly and, I think adjusting NTSC ie Region 1 is removed as an option on PAL sets (I'll check though).

I know you can adjust PAL WIDE and then select the PAL WIDE to Other setting that takes your hours of effort and applies to all other modes ... never perfect though. You can also choose PAL to NTSC.

Details of the service level convergence instructions are at:

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/Convergence.htm

Replace the buttons they say to turn on the guns with the corresponding fastext colur buttons on the remote.

BE VERY CAREFULL if you choose to mess around with the Green grid ... it can fix geometry problems, it can also produce not very straight lines !! ... I know, I'm trying to find a big set square

:suicide:

Mark

3. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did have a go at this and it really showd how out the convergeance was ! Having spent half an hour correcting it ( having wrote all settings down first) it looked really good!
    However, following the instructions, it says press "7" to save new picture settings. This does not seem to work. Anything else I could try ?

4. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh ... instead of [7] use the
    button on the directional pad on the remote ... try it before making any changes just to see what it does .... if your anything like me, you will have a split second of ****ting yourself that you've just wrecked your telly when the grid 'implodes' !! Its like an eighties Atari game nightmare :eek:

Steady with that green grid though, I'm still getiing seasick with Sky News' gulf update ticker as it wobbles along the bottom of the screen !! :confused:

Mark M​

5. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A big thanks from me for all your help - It works this time - now I have hours of fun ahead trying to get it just right - I have also upgraded to some THX approved Component leads and the Picture is amazing compaired to scart - I bought 2 and selling the other on ebay - But the sale ends tonight @ 10

Thanks again Robert

6. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the auction number for the leads?

Or any other info to find it.

I've been thinling about getting componet leads .. by Sky and Xbox are sharing AV1 for RGB via a switch box ... DVD is using S-Video via AV2.

Mark

7. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two types - the THX

Or Standard - 3015951228

I bought two types - to see if there was any difference and there is - The standard Monster Cable is still a 1000% better then a very expensive scart - but the THX is just spot on - I have never seen my Rear Projection display such a perfect picture - My Dvd is a Toshiba SD220 -

I you need one or any member of AV Forum is after one - just contact me direct and I will give you a hefty Discount if you mention this Great Webiste " AV Forum"
    robleices@hormail.com

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh RP as well. You have seperate convergence settings for PAL AND NTSC, PLUS for each and every aspect mode... so...

NTSC Wide
    NTSC Superlive
    NTSC Subtitle
    NTSC Cinema
    NTSC 4:3
    NTSC 14:9

PAL Wide
    PAL Superlive
    PAL Subtitle
    PAL Cinema
    PAL 4:3
    PAL 14:9

Total of Twelve convergence's required. I would do the most used settings first- Wide/Superlive/4:3.

You need to go into service menu and perform the indepth convergence- the user level isn't good enough.

9. chris_onewildla

chris_onewildla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if a bit off topic, but as it seems a gathering of tosh rp owners here thought i might ask if anyone knows if its possible to adjust volume levels for front left and right speakers. As i can only find adjustments for center and left and right rears no matter what source (pro logic or D.D) i feed into it in any of the menus.

I'd also second the above about adjusting the green grid in service mode conversion!lol

Chris.

10. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris

No experience of your set re sound, but plenty with seeting up surround sound set-ups ...

No matter whether integrated with TV or separate amp / speakers setup, there is never a setting to adjust the main front speaker levels as part of the the test tone type speaker setup. The centre and rears are being set set relative to the main fronts ie the main front volume is set using the main volume control and then the centre, rears and sub (if applicable) are set to be at the same relative volume.

Hope this helps.

Any tips of getting straight lines on that green grid ???

Mark M

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can create CAD printouts onto clear (acetate?) sheets with the grid dimensions from the service menu PDF.

I'll probably do that sometime- just need to find large acetate sheets from somewhere.

12. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan

I got our CAD guys to draw up the convergence grid for the WIDE settings ... we even got it printed onto a semi-tranparent media (a bit like grease proof paper) .. problem is it doesn't 'stick' to the screen.

Some tape around the edges keeps it in place but not hard against the screen ... it is better than nothing though ... oh for CRT type static ... never thought I'd miss that

:rolleyes:

Mark M