1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba Rear Pro Advice

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by HKG, May 30, 2003.

1. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey People ,

Ok Im looking to get a rear projection TV,

models of intrest : Toshiba 42PW23P ( widescreen ) / Toshiba 43 VJ13P ( 4:3 )

Easy enough you might be thinking, well no not for me ...which is why im here. This will be my first RP TV and quite frankly im a bit worried of doing the wrong thing. My reasons are below and of course most is all what i have heard from people that dont even own these TV's etc and i dont intend to ask sales people as they will tell you anything or nothing at all, Id be extremely Grateful if people could help me out , here goes

Ive heard that Bulbs ? need to be replaced within a year and can cost in excess of £800.

Ive read on these forums ( yes i actually did search before asking pointless questions :smashin: ) that using consoles are very bad with RP TV's.

All this setting up picture levels and doing one thing wrong will mash the TV etc has me confused , will this be a big problem or just something i will have to tinker with like all other gadgets on a regular basis to get the most out of it.

Are the Above TV's mentioned any good ( both under £1000 delivered ) , do any of you own these models or can give important info about them , pros / cons

My main concerns will be that am i spending a grand on something that will continue to cost me again and again , I like to use my xbox when i have time will this have to stop ? , The missus watches movies and things so the TV will be used from say 6pm right through till 2-3 in the morning nearly every day give or take a few hours .

Any extra info that i havnt asked of but you may think worth mentioning please do , ive been looking across the net for info for the last few months but info is thin and not what you really want to know, Glad ive found this forum and hope i dont have to bin the RP TV idea as i really want a big screen ordered this week hopefully.

Cheers :)

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've got a 43VJ13 which is about 8 months old and is used everyday for about 6 hours. The is a CRT projection TV so it doesn't have any bulbs or lamps just 3 high power tubes. The manual does stress that if a constant image (like a channel indicator or teletext header is left on screen then it can cause burn but if the brightness setting is kept to a lowish level this shouldn't be a problem. I actually use mine on the lowest setting of the 3 factory preset picture modes and even that gets turned down at night so I don't think it should be a problem.

If you buy with a Barlclaycard then you can register with them for an extra years waranty or you could look around for a free waranty offer. I bought mine from HI-Spek and got a free stand and 5 year waranty but paid about £150 more than the cheapest online price at the time.

Toshiba have announced new models and the replacement for the 43VJ13 is the 43VJ22 which unbeatable have for £1010.

The whole family is delighted with the set and I think the 4:3 is better value as the 16:9 screen is only about 25mm wider but 4:3 image is taller than that of a 50" 16:9 set. Best of luck whichever one you decide on.

3. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good info there Thankyou :)

The bulbs and lamps thing has made me feel a little better too

Yep i like the 4:3 as well , although i was never a fan of widescreen and i have a sony 4:3 now , i will have a look at the 43VJ22 tonight .

I think i might go for an extended warranty as a few more ££ wont matter when your spending so much on a TV ( well its a lot for me im not rockafella lol )

Eager to order as you can imagine , i'll restrain myself a few days longer though and see what other info i can gather

Thanks Again

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,897
    I have had a TOSH PW8 RPTV 40" for 3 years now,the kids have it on from 7.30 in the morning and it doesn't go off till nearly midnight(no the kids are not up watching it that late).I have not had any trouble with the tv at all.Have not had to replace any bulbs either.
    Great tvs.

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you have a sony tv now why not cosider the Sony PX2 or PS2. Fantastic sets

shaun:smashin:

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    A 43" 4:3 set gives lots more square inches for your money than a 42" 16:9 set and from memory the image on the 42" 16:9 set is hardly any wider than the 43" 4:3. I may buy another set next year when our extension is finished and I'm already eyeing up the Toshiba 61" 4:3 instead of a budget projecter.

8. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I can vouch for the SONY KP44 PS2, I think Comet online are doing it for about £1200 and Robert Whyte have graded ones for £999. This Tv is truly awesome. I had a Philips Pixel plus and the detail level is as good if not better without any of the motion artefacts that the Philips suffers so badly from. If you view one make sure it is set to DRC 50 and you will appreciate my comments. The set comes with contrast set to full make sure that this is reduced to senisble levels and you will be blown away. If you need any other advice post back here.

9. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great Fellas ( And Gals , well you never know ) ,

Getting good info i need :)

scooby do , Sony Yep i would consider since nearly everything else i have is Sony, will have a look at them, More info is welcomed , Thanks mate

Had a quick peek at the Tosh 43VJ22 Bassbin and i like that :smashin:

nathan_silly , yep read a few of your threads , great in depth info , Thanks for that

hunts1uk , Thanks for the info ... its mainly this bulb thing ive heard, before coming here thats keeping me credit card in me wallet

Its going to be a Tosh or a Sony , wouldnt consider anything else , More towards a 4:3 say 90% as im used to them and i think also you get less screen for your money with widescreen , but i could be convinced otherwise yet

Cheers :D

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you need Component input? I know the Tosh's have, but not sure about Sony?

Don't know why you're considering 4:3- if you're slightly interested in DVD's then widescreen is the way to go. Watching a widescreen DVD on a 4:3 TV will have MASSIVE black borders.

You can always use the Superlive aspect mode on a the widescreen set (stretches a 4:3 image to widescreen) It doesn't make the people look fat.

11. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok stop right there ! lol, i dont know what you mean , ive not got a super set up at home just tv / video / stereo / xbox ( watch dvds from there ) , im not really a home cinema person ..so treat me as im a newbie , technical words draw a blank with me when it comes to TV's etc

True i can understand what you mean with the DVD black borders on a 4:3 , 1 of the few points why i still would consider widescreen , movies wont be a big thing for me as id hardly watch the TV anyway :suicide: as im always pretty busy ...Hmm

Well all info and comments are welcome because i will take everyone of them into account , obviously i will make my choice at the end of the day but you all will be playing a big part in my decision :)

All im after is a big screen TV that wont cost me money after ive bought it, lasts / looks good / Qualitys good ( pic sound etc )

Im not going into full home cinema yet with surround sound / Amps etc etc just keeping it simple for now .

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Component is the best connection method possible between video devices. You might not have proper DVD player yet.. but don't limit yourself to SCART RGB (second down on picture quality)

Component is three leads, basically Red Green and Blue.

Here's a pic of a decent DVD player with Component, SCART, S-Video etc..

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv757/dv757airearlrg.jpg

Component is the (Y,Pb,Pr) connectors.

I'm not sure how good the Xbox is with DVD films.. sure others will comment on that.

RP's aren't perfect, they do need tweaking- converging mainly. But IMO better colour reproduction than Plasma, and no dead pixels.

I don't run a console on my RP, and I never leave anything onscreen for more than 5 mins.

Did you open up that snapshot I've taken?

13. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you mean now with Component yes :)

I dont mind tweaking thats no prob , its tweaking with cash that i dont want :D

Xbox and dvd i think is fine , clear and sharp etc, i dont know if normal xbox's are the same as mine is " modified " with extra applications , But works well for my needs .

I opened the pic in your earlier post yes, you wouldnt mind doing a in house full TV shot would you ? , I just like to see what they look like in real light and surroundings instead of web pictures/drawings and theres not many real life shots ive found, If not no problem :)

Thanks

p.s you can email it to me if you want @ mint12u@yahoo.com

14. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there ...

I have had a Toshiba 43PJ93 which is a 4:3 RPTV for about 3 years now. It has been used nearly every day. I use it about 75% of the time for Sky, 15% of the time for DVD and 10% for PS2, Xbox and GQ.

The picture is fabulous and I have never had a problem with setting it up. It was a great picture out of the box, but I would certainly advise re-setting the white and black levels (contrast and brightness) as they were very high.

About once a year I do a service menu convergence setup - the first time I did this I was stunned at how much improvement it made to the picture.

Other than that, I fiddle with it very little.

I too like the versatility of 4:3 ... I watch a lot of Sky TV. The black borders when watching DVDs do not detract from my enjoyment. I also have a Panasonic plasma panel in another room and have to say that I do not like any of the modes for watching 4:3 sources - I much prefer the RPTV for normal TV.

Good luck on your choice ... and enjoy. :smashin:

15. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers sharkbait

Sounds good , getting closer to ordering now :)

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you settle for a 4:3 RP, check this site out...

http://www.widescreen.org

direct link

http://www.widescreen.org/dvd_anamorphic.shtml

It shows just how large black borders will be on a 4:3 set with widescreen films...basically just projection black & wasting screen size.

I've played games on a widescreen TV, no problems with squashed images (ie fat Cloud, squashed cars etc)

17. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sony Kp44 PS2 IMHO looks a lot nicer than the Tosh. If you search for posts by new beetle you will find a picture of it in real surroundings. I do not have a digi cam so cannot help. But I can tell you that it is the best looking set I have come across both direct view and RP. Also with the Sony when DRC50 is on you cannot see the scan lines. Where in the country are you could you could always come over to my place if you are anywhere near Essex for a look

18. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree that the Sony's are much nicer to look at than the Toshes. I got a graded KP44PS2 for £999 last month and I'm absolutely delighted with it. The PX2 is very pretty too, but the PS2 was originally a much more expensive tv and has the full Sony DRC-MF treatment, twin tuners, and the ability to use the tv speakers as the centre channel with an av amp.

Here's a couple of pics (not mine btw):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't quite understand why anyone would say one looks nicer than the other... basically the same, silver frame, silver bottom bit.

Not exactly works of ark, and they're not supposed to! I mean it's not like comparing a Ferrari against a Fiat Multipla!

I will never buy a Sony TV (from bad experience)

20. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just don't like the grey fabric on the toshes. Anyway, I've attached a pic of mine.

Attached Files:

21. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I still maintain my stance on the difference aesthetically between RP. I was very suprised at how good looking the Sony KP44 PS2 was compared to PX2 and other RP. Still don't worry too much about what it looks like from the outside it is the picture quality to your eyes that counts. Although these things do take up a quite substancial space in a room, mine looks no different on the eye than a 36 CRT that my PS2 replaced

22. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everyone :)

Just looking round on websites now to choose

Nathan you widescreen preacher you :p

Scooby do , Im in South east London , Thanks for the offer, Its fine though :)

Thanks for the pictures everyone ....droool :D

EDIT - Ok also now on to retailers, robertsons online i was thinking, i dont want to scrimp a few ££ by using an unknown website/retailer as im sure you can understand.

So what do you all reckon, robertsons , and ?

Thankyou everyone youve been a great help , cant wait to order ( after i decide Sony or Tosh , sony orrrrrr tosh ) and hopefully should have it in me Living room sharpish .:smashin:

23. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's some more RP screenshots from a Tosh owner- HDTV. Git!

http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/

Oh I bought my Tosh from unbeatable.

btw the 42PW23P IS NOT Progressive Scan capable.

24. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol Nathan , no offence intended :)

Just checking that link now

25. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah I meant the yanks with HDTV's are gits. :)

26. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;)

Hes got a nice set up , Bit of a star trek fan by the looks of it as well

Whats HDTV is that the same as RP ....wait forget i said that , we dont want another 3 pages of my newbie questions .

27. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    High Definition TV. Basically just higher resoultion. Taken off in the US for cable. But it'll be several years until it takes off over here (a minimum of around 5 years, at a guess)

The guys taken loads of screenshots...should give you a idea.

http://www.geocities.com/mv_us_2000/Toshiba_50H81_HDTV.html

28. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you mean , Ive got TV's on the brain now lol

Cheapest i can see the KP44PS2 is £1311 delivered , which is a little over what i wanted to spend as i want to get a 3 year warranty as well which will boost price to near £1500

Want to keep as close to £1000 for Tv really :(

So tosh is back in play , going back and forth like a tennis ball at the finals :laugh:

29. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    42PW23P is £1090 +£30 del from unbeatable.

It's £997 at Empire Direct but I would buy it from unbeatable.

30. HKG

HKG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep just looking at them now, using pricerunner to see what i can find also

I dont like empire direct, ordered a tv stand from them once took them a month as they delivered it to the wrong address , and wanted me to pick it up from the people they delivered it too , joke or what ...long story short i got a new tv stand delivered in the end but i wouldnt use them again.