1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RDXS34 £298

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by honey1997, Feb 23, 2005.

1. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    If the RDXS34 turns out to be a tweaked 32 then you won't be disappointed with the machine. That said I've heard bad things about Unbeatable - they may be "awaiting stock" for quite awhile...

3. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    how would i know if its a tweaked 32 ?

how long should i give them before cancelling ? (having orderered it, ic richer souns have the panny 85 for £300!! ?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    It was just an expression - I don't mean a modified 32 model - just one building upon the excellent features/performance of the earlier model. Having read the online manual this is what it appears to be - but until we get a hands on it's impossible to say whether it is to the same standard.

That's upto you! I don't doubt they will send it to you as soon as they get it, but I do doubt they will get it before other companies. TBH I have no practical experience with them one way or the other - I am just commenting on what I've heard - so take it or leave it.

5. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    do u agree £299 is an outrageous price ? if they honour it, i dont mind if they take 4 weeks to deliver a 250Gb HDD!!

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Without knowing the RRP of the 34 it is impossible to say.

7. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you cancel, check this:

i ordered something last year, online, via credit card (debited within 2 days) - 8 weeks later (and umpteen emails) still nothing arrived - eventually ordered it elsewhere & cancelled - 4 weeks later (umpteen more emails), still no goods or refund

contacted credit card company (Mastercard) - asked if they can do anything about it - sure, they would persue it on my behalf, until i told her i cancelled - then she says, 'sorry they cant help me'

apparently (doesn't matter how long it takes them to deliver), "I" broke the contract to buy, by cancelling - so i'm on my own

they took my money - i got no goods and no refund - there's no doubt the companies know how all this works and can exploit it

it was only £18, so i didn't chase it, (had it been bit nearer i'd burned the building down :) - but you ought to be aware

on a happier note - it does sound like a bargain :)

8. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I understand credit card companies share liability for purchases betweeb £100 and £3000 under the consumer credit act, so maybe that why you got no help for an £10 non delivery.

Many thanks for poibting this out though, (keeps fingers crossed)

9. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think its soposed to be released in March.. but for that price I'd stick it out. I think its only a 160 gig drive... but still its twice my xs32 for which I payed close to £360...so that price does sound ridiculous
    As long as your happy with it not being multi-region..

10. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    yes R2 only is fine with me, ty

11. micklen2

micklen2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify what has already been said about credit card purchase.
    Firstly under the Comsumer Credit Act the credit card company are totally liable, as the contract to buy is made with them, not the supplier. But, if you agree a delivery date, then you must give them to that date at least to deliver the goods, and if not delivered then give them a reasonable date after that date to deliver. When that date is up, the credit card company are liable and must refund your money.
    Our friends mistake was in cancelling the goods before the agreed date, so as he rightly say's, he was at fault.

The moral is, always pin them down to a delivery date in writting, and be aware that most of these internet companies do not carry any stock. Sometimes its worth paying slightly more, and getting goods from reputable companies. But always always pay by credit card, for the reasons I have stated above.

12. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883

13. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So has anyone else ordered this? The price does seem good but will unbeatable honour it and what does everyone think the RRP would be...I guess they have some idea hence why they're offering at this price.

Any thoughts appreciated

14. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  15. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Toshiba have just returned my call and confirmed :

1) The spec is exactly as the RDXS32, but with 160Gb hard disk

2) It will be available in may

3) No confirmed RRP yet.

I was pleased with this, esepcially for £300, but :

Jethro has just posted this :

"take a peek at AV Forums - approx every other post is about tosh 32 owner tryna find a disc that works on it"

Is it not a good machine ?

16. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    take a peek - you wont have to look hard

17. quinn45

quinn45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Available in MAY !!!.

Has it slipped from this month, I thought it was released in March.

Need to upgrade from my Toshiba RDXS30.

Quinn

18. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The XS32 is a very good machine - I'm very happy with mine. There are some (mainly cheaper) brands of media it doesn't like, though this is not unique to the XS32. Possibly the XS32 is a bit more fussy than others, or it may just be that there are a lot of XS32 owners on this forum. If you stick with media which are proven to work with the XS32 you should be OK.

Mark

19. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jethro has got a Philips DVD Recorder I believe. Say no more !!!!

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I would be cautious about taking Jethor's advice - if you do a search based on his username you will find a user who recommends/promotes nothing except Philips machines. Indeed he has been caught out trying to offer 'advice' on the Toshiba without any practical knowledge of the machine. And his lastest 'trick' is to try and suggest the Toshiba machines are as problem ridden as the Philips ones - do a internet search for "Philips DVD recorders +problems" and then "Toshiba DVD recorders +problems" for an objective comparison.

To answer the question though: there are alot of posts about the Toshiba. This is solely because it is the forums most popular machine. Most of the problems relate to setup issues or are from people learning how to use it - hardly surprising given that it is a complex machine (due to having more features than other DVD recorders). Only a handful are actually faulty machines - and 9 times out of 10 this is a HDD failure - a fact of life for HDD technology. And given that Toshiba is so popular it is hardly surprising. By contrast Jethro is the only user of his machine :rotfl: a good indication of how high is advice is rated around here...

21. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ras,

many thanks for your comments, its good to read comments that are not filled with emotion about one issue or another.

I am hoping phelings and yourself (two experienced people, with differing views) will be able to point me in the right direction now, having come to a cross roads :

To backtrack, hopefully, you wil have noticed I have ordered a Toshiba RDXS34 fron unbeatable for £300. Unbeatalbe say they will give me a delivery date later this week, but cannot confirm spec.

Toshiba tell me the unit will be as 32, but with 160Gb HDD available in late May, but no RRP yet.

RGB Direct, who seem to be a reputable seller, have the Panny 95 multi region for £410 in stock

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Referrer.asp?SKUNumber=101756&ReferrerCode=1

Should I stick with Tosh, possibly waiting 3 months, or go with panny?

yours hopefully .......

22. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The two brands of machines are quite different. Panasonic is a very user friendly machine: it shields the user away from needing to understand what 'bitrates' are, editing is as simple as you can make it and . Yet despite being 'simple' it is still a very powerful machine. And from an AV perspective it provides the best PQ across the board - particularly as you get towards longer recording lengths (2hrs - 3hrs).

By contrast the Toshiba is a complex machine. But it is only complex because it has many options/features that the Panasonic doesn't have. You have custom picture controls, GOP control, ability to set menu backgrounds etc etc. All in all it is the closest equivalent you can get to PC editing without using a PC. The DVD-RW support also makes it a popular machine as it provides a means of recording onto re-writeable media should you want (e.g.) to play recordings in an upstairs DVD players on a regular basis.

So you take you pick. Frankly with the Toshiba RDXS32 at under £310 now I would be tempted to consider that. But it's your choice...

I can't believe I have been rated on the same level as Phelings. Castration would hurt less!

23. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    leaving castration to one side, ..............

I will be looking to play DVD's recorded from my HDD on my other DVD players :

Phillips DVP520/05 (sorry!)
    Goodmans GDV132
    Dell 510M laptops
    2 No. PC's running powerDVD
    Alba portable DVD player DVDP500

Im not looking for big editing capabilities, possibly just advert delete :

which will be the most compliant recorder to go for, in your epxerienced opinion ?

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    DVD-RW and DVD-R will play in most/all of them. Unfortunately there are no fixed guarantees about compatibility of DVDR media. Discs recorded on the Toshiba, as with any DVD recorder, will play on most (but not all) DVD players.

If you do a search here. A quick search reveals:
    - DVD-RW/-R will work OK with your Philips 520
    - DVD-R will work on your Goodmans
    - DVD-RW/-R will work OK with your Alba DVP500
    ...a for your PC drives I would also expect both DVD-RW and DVD-R to work fine. All that said though there are no guarantees: machines with the same model number can use different optical drives and the wide variety of media brands/makes/qualities means nothing can be promised with total certainty.

25. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ras,

your advice is really appreciated, as is the time you are putting in to your responses.

Your last response is excatly what i am seeking, but would like to know if the Panny 95 would do as well, bering in mind you intimated earlier it is good for simple peeps!!

yours hopefully ...

h

26. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Yes - DVD-R compatibility would be very similar/identical - although as always it depends what media you use, i.e. decent branded stuff will be more likely to work that 20p unbranded ones! Do note though that the Panasonic does not have DVD-RW if that is important for you. The re-writeable format of the Panasonic is DVD-RAM - ideal for temporary storage when you format your HDD but no good for sharing your recordings (the Toshiba also has DVD-RAM support for the same reason).

Glad to be of help :)

27. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    lets see if my pea-like brain has absorbed what your saying -

if I want to burn onto -R disks for keeps, and watch on other players, both are equally OK.

If I want to use RW disks, the -RW capabiltiy of the toshiba is ideal for my use, which the Panny does not have. The panny option is DVD-RAM, which will not be as compatible on other DVD players ?

Is this a fair intperretation of what your saying ?

As ever, many thanks for your interest and time

h

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Yes. When you record onto DVD-R, on either machine, you will have the best possible chance of playing the DVD on another DVD player/recorder/DVD-ROM drive. DVD-R is rated as the most compatible format - seehere.

Again correct. If you want to record on your recorder and then play in other players on a regular basis - such as on your portable DVD player - then DVD-RW is nice to have. Although note it isn't as compatible as DVD-R and can be quite annoying to finalise/unfinalise etc. All in all most users tend to stick with DVD-R only. But it all depends on how you plan to use your media.

DVD-RAM will not work in virtaully any DVD player (other than Panasonic, JVC, NAD etc). It's is not a format designed for compatibility.

29. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Toshiba phonecall on Monday 28/2/05 say it will be available end of May 2005

Unbeatable email today says their supplier is expecting stock on 14/3/05

who do I believe ?

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Toshiba