toshiba rdxs32 why thumbnails?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stegalv, Mar 2, 2005.

1. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    been using the panasonic e30 dvd recorder which was brilliant,but got fed up with the limited space of the disks.
    so decided to buy a hdd recorder,after reading about the tosh 32 which seemed to just edge out the panny, i bought one from rgb for £309,everything that people have said about it seems to be correct it is a good machine.
    (heres the but) but why have they used thumbnails to show whats been recorded i know i hav'nt had it long but it lets the machine down.
    with the e30 it grabbed the name of the show,so i knew exactly what i had on the disk now all i get is a thumbnail and i have no idea what the programmes are,i know you can change the thumbnail but who wants to sit after every recording sorting that out.
    or is there a way of changing the way it shows what has been recorded,
    when one manufacturer has a good idea why dont they all use similar versions,it's little things that make good machines a pain.

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, there is something quite relaxing about spending a Sunday afternoon in front of the Tosh fiddling with titles and thumbnails....
    Maybe your problem is you tape waaaay too much TV to keep track :D

....and mummy did tell you it'd make your eyes go square....

3. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The tosh has no way of grabbing to title automatically. I've got into the habit of entering the title when I set it up to record, which for soaps and things I only have to do once.
    If you don't like looking at thumbnails you can always use the library function, although without a title you will only have times and channels

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sometimes I quickly set the thumbnail to the title of the show from the beginning credits.

I agree it is a bind, and the teletext grabbing is a good thing, but most of the stuff I record onto the Tosh is straight from Sky+ in multi programme chunks, so autonaming doesn't work.

What we need is a Freeview twin tuner version of the Tosh (off topic, but couldn't resist!) :)