1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RdXs32..simple question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lord Axl, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Lord Axl

Lord Axl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi.I've just got (here in Italy,just to say,it's very hard to find it) the dvdrec Toshiba 2 days ago.It seems from my first impressions,like many opinions here,a very good machine.I've a doubt about "Dvd compatible Mode" and his options,"Off"-"Mode I"-"Mode II" and I really did not understand the real differences (Left,right,not stereo?) :confused: .Can somebody tell me about this?Thanks a lot in advance,bye :hiya: .LORD AXL P.s.I forgot...the Tosh(mine) do not play Dvd+R??I've tried 2 movies (Dvd-Video standard rec,with CloneDvd 2) and it didn't play it at all :(

2. Monza

Monza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid I can't answer your question, because I don't have the recorder. But I have a question to you... Thanks to this forum, I'd like to buy a Toshiba RD-XS32, but where I'm living (Belgium), I can't find a dealer that sells this recorder. I think this is a general problem for all Europe (except U.K.), and that's why I'm wondering where you've bought your recorder. Did you bought it online or did you found a dealer in Italy? Has the recorder a translated version of the manual in your language or does only contains the original English manual?

3. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically you just want to stick it in Mode I and forget about it !

There is a table on page 74 of the Operation manual (UK version) that shows what will be recorded under different circumstances. In Mode I you get the following:
    Recording from any line input - Stereo
    Recording from Tuner
    Nicam Stereo being received - Stereo
    Mono (non-nicam) being received - Mono
    Nicam bi-lingual being received - first language recorded

I don't know if you get Nicam bi-lingual transmissions in Italy (we don't in the UK), but if you do and you want to record the second language then you need to set it to Mode II, otherwise just leave it on Mode I

Hope this makes sense - You're right, it isn't explained very well in the manual.

Regards,
    John

4. Lord Axl

Lord Axl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks monocrider,very clear...so in Mode I with any Line Input record in Stereo,but setting to Off?It's the same?Ah,we don't have any Nicam transmissions in Italy.Monza,I've buyed here www.videodigit.it at 630 € with shipping,but I know many here in Italy got it at www.digitalo.de, deutsch site where it costs about 560 €.Manuals and OnScreenDisplay are in English and also Italian,no problem with that :smashin: Best regards,bye.LORD AXL

5. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To make a long story short:
    1) In NICAM broadcasts, you have TWO stereo sound tracks: One for the local language and another one for the original language. If you set the mode to 'Off', you will record both to the HDD, and then you can swap them (using the AUDIO button on the remote) when you play the recording back. In this way, you can choose the language of the movie. This is good if you like original versions.
    2) However, the DVD-Video standard format only allows ONE stereo sound track to be recorded to the DVD-R. In this way, if you plan to dub the recording to a DVD-R, you have to choose either Mode-I (local language) or Mode-II (original language).
    3) If you have a recording with mode 'Off', and you want to dub to DVD-R, you need to re-encode, in order to get Mode-I or Mode-II. Therefore, do not choose 'Off' if you plan to dub the movie.

Hope this is clear enough.
    Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)

6. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine at Technikdirekt.de.

7. Monza

Monza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know we're talking a little bit off-topic, but I was wondering if the recorders of Toshiba, bought in a foreign country (e.g. Germany) also work in another country then where they have been manufactured.
    Don't you have any problems with the Nicam-sound for example? I know that the way in usage of Nicam differs from country to country, so it's always possible that a German recorder doesn't work well in another country. But may be nowadays, recorders are built to work in every european country?

What are the actual languages of the OSD and the included manuales?
    Does somebody know if the Dutch (= Nederlands / Néerlandais) language is available? (I guess not).

8. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The German model works fine in Sweden with sound and Showview and everything.

The models from UK and France is a little different. In France they have their own sound system and the tuner from UK doesn´t work elsewhere. Germany seems ok, at least for us "up north".

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Rebeccca,

I assume that for most Sky movies transmissions it doesn't matter since they are DD or DPL?

10. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have Sky, so I cannot answer to that.

Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)

11. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Axl for asking this, saved me the effort as I didn't understand it from the manual either :laugh: Thanks to Monocrider for the explanation. I seem to recall somewhere in the manual it says that if it is set to off and you burn to dvd then it defaults to <I> anyway. I burnt a sky movie to dvd when it was recorded to the hdd as <off> and the sound seemed ok.

I'll set it to <I> and leave it there then :D