1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RDXS32 recording problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dnesdlrow, Oct 19, 2004.

1. dnesdlrow

dnesdlrow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Could somebody explain (very simply please!) what is the best way to take programs saved on Sky+ and burn them to DVD-R on the RDXS32 so they are watchable on other DVD players. Or even to take programs from the HDD and burn to DVD-R.

If you could explain the best way of fitting say 4x45 min episodes onto one disc(?) that would be great! I can't seem to get the 'Rate conversion dubbing' method to work...I must be missing something.
    I'm new to this and the Tosh's manual, while very detailed, is hard to absorb.

Thanks.

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You want to avoid using the rate conversion function as this will reduce the quality of the recording as it involves a second recording and is time consuming.

If possible try to calculate a rough approximation of the total recording length you want to record to disc. In your example, 4 x 45min = 3hrs which would require a bit rate of 3.0

This process is quite easy except for HBO programmes which do vary in length.

There are many ways of doing what you want here is a relatively simple process. Use sky+'s copy function to record the programmes overnight to the HDD at the correct bit rate.

Put chapter points at the start and end of each programme and ad breaks.

Create playlists, 1 for each programme. Rename this and select thumbnails

Go to the edit menou and select create -video; select the titles you want to put onto disc then burn away

Once this is completed delete the original recording which will also delete the playlists.

You can if you wish dub each episode to -r as you go along; although I really do not see the point.

Personally I normally watch what I am recording to the HDD and insert chapter points as I go along; this greatly speeds up the editing process.

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may also want to consider the fact that only recordings under 2hrs 20min will be recorded at full resolution. This does make a significant impact on the quality of the recordings. (Bit rate of 4.0)

4. dnesdlrow

dnesdlrow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bob,

That's cleared most things up. So really I need to think about how many episodes I want to fit on a disc BEFORE I copy from Sky+ to HDD. By the way how did you come up with a bit rate of 3.0 for 3 hrs worth? Is there a rule-of-thumb?

Also as I've already copied 8 hrs worth from Sky+ to the HDD at a bit-rate of 4.6 SP and as I didn't know anything about the "DVD compatible mode" then (and still don't!), it was switched off. But I've edited all the ads out of what I have. So what do you reckon is the best way of burning what I have bearing in mind I din't have the DVD compatible thing switched on? (What is it for anyway?)

Thanks again (I'll probably have more questions if you don't mind)
    Don