Toshiba RDXS32 - playing NTSC disks on Pal TV?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by markie, Jul 30, 2004.

1. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

This is my first post on the forum ! Just purchased the Toshiba RDXS32 after reading many favourable reviews on here. It is multiregion, but plays R1 NTSC disks in black and white on my TV. I have not got a really modern TV with NTSC included, but my older Pioneer 350 had a facility to play NTSC disks in colour on a pal TV. Can the Toshiba be changed somewhere in the menus to do this? Can't seem to see anything in the instruction booklet. If not, will consider returning it and go for a Pioneer 320 or 520, which I know for certain will play NTSC on a pal only TV, which would be a pity as its decent machine, albeit a steep learning experience to work out how to use it ! I think also the Panasonic range will allow NTSC on a Pal TV? I read that sometimes changing the AV menus to RGB might work, but didn't in my case.

Many thanks - I've learned a lot from reading the various topics in the last few weeks !

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    looks like the Pioneers have a standards convertor, the thing about these is they are never ideal and u usually see skipping oh so slightly when the camera pans in a movie.

in the longterm u might aswell get a cheap NEW TV from asda

3. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the quick response - funnily enough on the pioneer 350, the playback of NTSC was great and did not notice any problems. Did consider purchasing another TV, but think the wife would go mad, so replacing the Toshiba for another make is the only viable option I'm afraid (if it's not possible) !!!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Not exactly. The output from a Pioneer, when "converting" to PAL from NTSC is actually something called Pal60 or pseudo-PAL. This is actually a standard NTSC structure (525 lines, 60hz) but with only the colour signal modified. Because the base structure is unchanged, this does NOT introduce any additional jerkiness etc (beyond what might be expected with 3:2 pulldown). In other words, it will look just as good as a true NTSC signal.

Markie:

If your TV SCART input supports RGB, then set the DVD player to output RGB, use a fully-wired (all 21 pins) SCART cable, and set the TV to receive RGB on the SCART (if necessary - some detect it automatically). This should provide you with a colour image.

5. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nigel,

You're a life saver - did what you suggested and am now getting full colour !!!!

The mistake I had made was that I put the scart into a non-rgb one at the back of the TV. Read the TV's manual, found that only one scart has RGB and as soon as I put the scart into the rgb scart, colour came !!!

Pleased I won't have to swap it, as the Toshiba had everything I wanted at a reasonable price ! Now, got to sift my way through the manual to try and work out all the features !

Thanks once again !

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    "Glad to be of service".

7. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nigel (or anyone else). I have now another problem ! When I change the AV1 setting to 'RGB' all is great watching NTSC films, but when I try to watch programmes through the DVD recorder or record TV programmes the picture is a reddish colour and shows a loss of quality. As soon, as I change the AV1 output back to 'video', all is well again with the picture. Is there anyway I can get the picture right whilst still leaving the AV1 connection on 'RGB' or is it a case of when I want to watch an NTSC film, I change the AV1 setting to 'RGB' and back again to 'video' for recording programmes? Thanks in advance.

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Not sure what you mean by "watch programmes through the DVD recorder" and "record TV prgrammes". In other words, I guess I need to know a little more about your setup - if you are recording A TV programme - are you using the TV's tuner to receive it.......etc.

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you talking about a TV signal from sky or freeview inputting into AV2 on the Tosh?

If you are not using the component outputs then Both AV1 and AV2 should be set to RGB as should the freeview/sky box.

10. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'll try to clarify things ! I have connected the aerial lead to the sky receiver and the aerial output lead of the sky reciever to the aerial input on the tosh and the aerial output from the tosh goes to the TV. AV1 on the toshiba is going to AV1 on the TV. AV2 on the Tosh is going to the sky box. The other AV socket on the sky box goes to AV2 on the TV. On the Toshiba, channel 1 picks up bbc1, channel 2 picks up bbc2 etc. To record from sky you set the tosh to record from AV2. Hope that makes sense so far. When you switch on the tosh and view bbc1, etc. through the toshiba on AV1, when AV1 output on the tosh is set to 'rgb' the picure from the TV stations turns reddish and loses much clarity and also rcords it like this. When you set the AV1 output back to 'video' on the tosh, the good picture returns. I cannot set the AV2 input on the tosh to RGB, as otherwise I receive no picture, only hear sound !

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to set the sky box to RGB you do this on the settings / picture menu.

then set the AV2 input to RGB

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is set to RGB check you are using a fully wired scart lead.

13. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    bobbles, did what you said on and AV2 on sky is coming in nicely now - thanks ! Also changed the scart to a different one from AV1 on the Toshiba to the AV1 on the TV. This has removed the reddish colour completely and improved the picture a lot. Picture still not as 'crisp' and 'colour intensified' as when I put the AV1 output to 'video' instead of 'rgb', but certainly better. Do you think if I purchased a really good (expensive) scart this would improve things or not that much? If so, any recommmendations?

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as it is a fully wired scart you should be ok; the scart leads that usually come free with dvd players are crap. Of course a decent scart will improve things but the difference will not be as huge. I have a £20 scart and a £45 one and tbh I can not tell the difference between the two.

The quality of the picture will also depend upon what channel you are watching on sky BBC1 will always be better than UK gold say.