1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RDXS32 High Speed Dub problem - help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pmartin, Oct 9, 2004.

1. pmartin

pmartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I have done a search but couldn't find anything that covers my problem.

And yes I have RTFM, but it also doesn't seem to cover the problem - or I'm looking in the wrong place.

Using either High Speed Dub Copy or Move I get an error message saying-
    "It is not possible to dub additional content to this disk"
    Copy to same disk works fine.

This happens with off-air recordings or with recording from vhs. It happens if
    I try to record to either RAM or -R.

I must be doing something wrong in the record to HD (I think) because two little test recordings done when machine was factory tested will dub ok.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There is not enough space on the blank DVD-R/RW/RAM to high speed dub what you are trying to copy. You can only High Speed dub at the same rate as the original recording so if the recording on the HDD is too big it can only high speed dub to itself, it can't rate convert at high speed.

If you do a normal dub with too big a file the quick menu has an "auto fit" function that works well. This would be realtime.

There is lots of info around about how to estimate sizes, etc. When you go into the AV Record option you can see in the table how much time a particular setting will allow on a blank DVD. If you know a TV programme is destined for a DVD then estimate the likely length and make the original HDD recording at the right rate to fit on a disk (maybe after editing out ads or padding).

3. pmartin

pmartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply - I re-recorded a VHS tape at SP and it worked.
    The default rate was set at 6.6, so dropping it down made it fit.

I had wondered why I was able to do a rate-conversion dub, but I didn't twig that the original rate was too high.