Toshiba RDXS32 - can they play +R discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by howardmg, Oct 8, 2004.

1. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would be interested to know from Toshiba owners etc whether the RDXS32 can play +R discs (as my Dell PC only has a +R/+RW DVD Writer),

Thanks

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the same scenario, Dell PC, Tosh RDXS32. The Tosh plays DVD+R's burnt on the Dell but not +RW's. The Dell reads finalised DVD-R's burnt on the Tosh but not RAM or -RW.

A bit frustrating but not a major snag so far. Most frustrating element is not being able to go from Tosh to Dell on reusable media e.g. copy from (non-DV) camcorder to Tosh then rough edit and put onto RAM or -RW then onto Dell for fancy finalisation before sending to grandparents.

I did half heartedly look for a DVD-ROM that I could swap the DVD-ROM in the Dell for that was multi or even that would read RAM or ideally Caddied RAM, but I lost interest!! If anyone can recommend a DVD-ROM drive that reads RAM and takes them without opening them up then that would be of interest.

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm about to enter this as I've bought a DELL and no way of specifying -RW.

But I'm waiting for a dual layer -RW anyway so no great loss.

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Elsewhere Rasczac has said Dell will fit a multi if you insist. I must admit at the time of purchase (Feb) I had not looked into the +/- thing properly and only made a half hearted attempt to get them to put a multi format in, but it might be worth pushing it with them if you have not actually done the Dell deal!

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Deals not done yet but I'm still not fussed.

DVD-R DL will be around soon so I'll just swap out at some point.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,990
    There are no DVD-ROMs that read RAM caddied media - not even Panasonic ones - but loads read non-caddied DVD-RAMs. Most LG, Samsung, Toshiba and Panasonic ones infact (and rebadged models based on those). Checkout the PC GUIDE thread if you want suggestions of models to get. I try to keep that updated every 3 to 4 months to encompass new models of DVD writers/ROMs.

7. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Dell DVD-ROM will read a finalised -RW, I am just using DVD Decrypter to rip some TV stuff that I put on a -RW this morning. That has cheered me up (little things :)) as it means I can get from Tosh to Dell PC using rewritable media. This will also provide a way of making more compatible DVD's from the Tosh, albeit a bit long winded!