Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba RDXS30 or Panasonic HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by midlandswarrior, Sep 1, 2003.

1. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Ive been looking around for a dvd-ram/dvd-r/hd combi which i can edit recordings before writing to dvd-r.

As far as i am aware i have two options the Toshiba RDXS30 or Panasonic HS2. the only difference i can see between the two is that the RDXS30 has a 60gb hd which is slightly bigger.

I know the HS2 has rgb in and out is this the same with the Toshiba RDXS30

Price wise i have found the Toshiba RDXS30 for £30 less than the HS2

To be honest the hs2 40gb drive would be fine if it has some features that the Toshiba RDXS30 does not

opinions please

thanks mike

2. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just found my answer to the rgb question.

one thing i need to check is do both units write from hd to dvd-r at 1x

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    The HS2 is the better unit (due to the RGB - an major omission IMHO). They both have 1x recording (you'll need to wait for the upcoming E100, RX5, 5100 etc if you want high speed dub to DVD-R - all of these will be at least £100 more expensive).

If you record from Sky then go for the HS2 - it's worth the extra £30 and the larger HDD isn't really that much of an issue (as you don't archive to it - and you can always High Speed dub to DVD-RAM as a temporary storage).

4. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi midlandswarrior
    Been useing the Toshiba now for 7 weeks and am most impressed by all the features and quality of the machine. The RGB thing was a bit of a bugbear when i was choosing the machine but i can live without it and 2 months ago the price difference between this and the HS2 was a lot more than £30. At £30 if you want the quality the HS2's a much better buy i suppose but if you get the Toshiba i don't think you'll be disappointed.

Panic

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    If RGB in is NOT an issue then the Toshiba is the best buy. For one thing it has a bigger HDD and (I believe) has slightly more bells and whistles than the HS2. It is a shame that Toshiba didn't add RGB in (and it looks like they are going to do the same for their budget model the DR1).

All things said though we have been spoilt lately - RGB in is very new. None of the DVHS decks have had it, neither have VCRs (for obvious compatibility reasons) - it's only recent DVDRs from Panasonic/Philips that have. So you could argue it's not the 'norm'. That said when one unit has got it we expect them ALL to have it.

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Agreed 100%.As you say it is a newish feature but from companies like Toshiba you at least hope things will continue in a progressive manner rather than a step backwards.:(

General Panic

7. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for evry1s replys

i have decided after some info from Rasczak on another thread to keep my dmr30 and purchase a dvd-ram/dvd-r/dvd-rw writer for my PC

i have downloaded the trial of TMPG Author and frankly the resulting menus are amazing with video backgrounds/menus etc, i will buy that for £40 and get a panasonic writer II for £90

Ive also downloaded the TMPGEnc v2.5 trial as well for editing and between these two programs i can do everything i need to at the moment.

I hope they will bring out a hdd/dvd-ram/dvd-r box with tivo included, now that would be my next purchase. Didnt some companies licence the tivo technology?

Thanks
    Mike

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Toshiba and Pioneer - so potentially we could see TivO with DVD-RAM and DVD-RW. Whether any will take up the challenge though remains to be seen...

Whilst I think this is the cheapest DVD-RAM/-RW/-R drive available I'm not 100% sure. You may want to browse the online shops and see if you can get a better deal (I'm sure it would only be a matter of a few pounds). The link I quoted was 'for reference' rather than a 'buy if from here'.

9. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i checked a few other sites, dabs.com had it as a retail package but it was £160 so i bought from ebuyer, i sort of guessed it can read dvdrams in their cartridges as a lot of my recordings i want to use are! i hope it can :)

i also got 25 mirror dvd-r 's for 14 quid

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Yes it can.

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody has mentioned that on the Tosh you cannot record directly to -R,only via transfer from HDD.A needless omission.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Nobody asked! And it's not really THAT much of an omission as you'd only use DVD-R to run off copies for your mates/archive - you wouldn't timeshift on it. Toshiba users feel free to correct me but I certainly have never recorded directly onto DVD-R with my HS2 - I always record onto the HDD first. This is especially so as once your in DVD-Video mode your options for dubbing to/from HDD and advanced PC editting become somewhat limited.

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No,its not major,but as the HS2 allows it,its another minus point for the Tosh.
    Can you record on the HDD and to -R simultaneously from different sources?Say,from Sky+ to HDD,while the -R records from the internal tuner?

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    No - this is something we may see in later HDD/DVDR models but would obviously require a twin tuner - certainly none of the current or upcoming models can do it. You can record to the HDD and WATCH a DVD or vice versa (or record to the HDD and watch a programme on the HDD (and the same with DVD-RAM). Clearly there is no such 'Timeslip' with DVD-R.

15. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twin tuners wouldn't necessarily be needed as you could record from the tuner and also from the scart RGB in. However, I'm pretty sure that you would definitely need two ADC's and two mpeg encoders.

Similarly, if you wanted to watch dvd and HDD through two different outputs, you would need two mpeg decoders and two DAC's.

I think it would be easier in both cases just to buy an extra £200 dvd recorder (at the end of the year) as it's unlikely someone would make a machine which is much more expensive than it's rivals for a couple functions which are rarely used.

Cheers,
    Cal.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Fair point. I was thinking from the 'keep the operation simple' angle which is what most of the producers are trying to do at the moment.

Yes you would - but the price of these is plummetting - it wouldn't add much onto the cost.

Certainly not at the moment - but we are likely to see more and more features being crammed onto the DVDRs (especially the top-end models) to make it better than the competition. So who knows? I agree it's not a 'urgent' requirement in any sense.