Toshiba RDXS30 Is Released May 30th

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SteveObyrne, May 17, 2003.

1. SteveObyrne

SteveObyrne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have just ordered my Toshiba RDXS30 from electricaldiscount.co.uk for
    577.93 including next day delivery and a DVD-RAM black disk.

I went into my local retailer they rang up their supplier and they said they are getting the this HDD DVD recorder in on Friday May 30th.

Has anyone else ordered this and is anyone else thinking of getting one.

I know I am taking a plunge a bit as there is not many reviews on them so I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve…..

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The new issue of Home Cinema Choice should be on sale now with a review of it. I haven't been into town yet to pick up my copy so don't know how they've rated it.

However it has the same functionality as the HS2 (which is a top piece of kit) and Toshiba has had some very successful variants of this model in Japan and the US so I would suggest it's probably going to be a good purchase. At such a cheap price (for what you get) how can you go wrong?

3. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hey! I should have guessed. I've been waiting for this recorder for several months now and what date is it set to be available? Only my wedding day!! (Friday 30th May). Hmm, maybe I'll have to wait a few days before ordering it ;)

HCC mag didn't give it a proper review only a preview, though they gave it 4 1/2 out of 5??! A proper review is in the next issue available mid June. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't get a good review.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    HCC is very committed to the 'format war' in that I think HCC's editer might be an early adopter of +RW as HCC seems to soak up every Philips press release and accordingly the magazine is a bit biased against RAM (I remember HCC reporting this time last year Philips had already won the format race). They could be giving away Panasonic units free but HCC still wouldn't give it top marks!

Strange as What Video & Widescreen Entertainment has taken a very sensible view of the whole thing - i.e. all formats will survive so buy which is best for you.

5. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Exactly, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R all have there pro's and con's and importantly it gives us consumers choice to pick which format is best for the consumer.

I just hope the price of the new Toshiba RDXS30 will make Panasonic rethink the price of the replacement HS2, I like my DMR-E30 but having recordings recorded onto HD then edited and then burned to DVD-R or DVD-RAM is much more convenient on the HS2.

6. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone know if the Toshiba allows you to use the maximum bitrate that will fit a recording onto one disc, like the Panasonic models?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yes it has all the features of the Panasonic HS2 expect the JPEG viewer.

8. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is anyone advertising a region free one yet or is it to early.
    I want one.

9. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Sound & Vision's latest magazine advert shows the RD-XS30 as Region 1 compatible, no price though so I've asked for a quote from their website. Will report back here when I get it.