TOSHIBA RDX34 - "Copy Never" on transfers from VHS

howardmg

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had the Tosh 34 for a few months and have been busy archiving videos. This has all been going very well - love the machine - but suddenly my VHS recordings - using the line input - have come up with a "Copy Never" flag on the HDD.

I can see no way of removing this. I've tried creating playlists and then making new originals, but copy protected flag appears, as it does when I try and save to DVD.

Has anyone else had this problem? I dont believe I've changed any settings so cannot understand why it should suddenly treat line recordings like this.

Any advice much appreciated!

Mark

howardmg said:
I've had the Tosh 34 for a few months and have been busy archiving videos. This has all been going very well - love the machine - but suddenly my VHS recordings - using the line input - have come up with a "Copy Never" flag on the HDD.

I can see no way of removing this. I've tried creating playlists and then making new originals, but copy protected flag appears, as it does when I try and save to DVD.

Has anyone else had this problem? I dont believe I've changed any settings so cannot understand why it should suddenly treat line recordings like this.

Any advice much appreciated!

Mark

I have come across this once. I think the reason was that there was a bit of interference on the original VHS. This is taken as copy protection by the Toshiba. I thin I ended up editing that section out.

You appear to have tried most posible ways to get by this.

The only other way is to write to RAM and back.

No idea why this would work but I was in a rush to clear stuff and I couldn't get a programme onto a -RW, so I dubed it to RAM just to get it off the HD.

I thought to give it a try puting it back on the HD for some reason. Obviously I was wondering if I could copy it to -RW and discovered it would now copy.

May be worth a try?

In case it's of interest to anyone and without going into all the details of how, (nothing sinister, just my drive has always had problems with RAM discs), I ended up with a RAM disc, made on my RDXS32, containing 6 titles, 3 of which were 'copy never'. (All titles were originally recorded to HDD from Skybox and were not 'copy never' at first).
Further, if I looked at the disc information for the RAM disc, the disc status had somehow been set to 'Protected'.
Apart from play, I could do nothing at all with the 'copy never' titles. One thing I tried to do, which failed, was to merge a 'copy never' title with one of the titles on the RAM disc which was not 'copy never' ( using Edit menu > Combine ORG Title).

I gave the disc to a friend who made a copy (on his computer - his drive can read/write RAM discs) and when I loaded the copy in my RDXS32 the three titles were still 'copy never' but the disc status was now 'Normal'. I then discovered that with this disc it was possible to combine a 'copy never' title with a non 'copy never' title. The combined title was free from the 'copy never' gremlin and all chapters able to be copied.

Assuming howardmg's hard drive disc status had not been set to 'Protected' I wonder if 'Combine ORG Titles' might be another solution to removing 'copy never' from a title.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom