1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RDSX34 or Pioneer DVR-530H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stoofa, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Stoofa

Stoofa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm really tearing my hair out over this final decision.
    I know that I want an HDD/DVD Recroder.
    After looking at all of the various options available and many reviews I've narrowed things down to these two models.
    Mainly because they both have the 160GB HD (The Panasonic & Sony units I also looked at were both only 80GB).

After much searching I've actually found a retailer that has the RDSX34 in stock right now (although apparently only a handful and they are selling fast).
    Until would cost me around £310.
    I've found a couple of places with the DVR-530H in stock - cost around the £330 mark.

I've been wanting to get an order placed since Tuesday but everytime I'm almost placing the order online I get cold feet and can't decide if I'm making the right choice.
    I know they are both similar specification so I doubt either one will really be any major difference to the other.
    It's just when you are spending £300+ you want to make the right choice.

So - if you were forced to buy one of the above models which one would you go for?
    Anybody here actually make the choice and buy one of these over the other?
    If so, do you feel you made the right or wrong choice?
    Finally - Can either of these units be made "Region Free" easily enough - not a major factor to me from a buying point of view but might sway things :)

Thanks.

2. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Don't know too much about the pioneer but I would think that if you want to do a bit of fancy editing the tosh is th one to go for. Where are you buying from, some sources sell multiregion sets out of the box.

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I don't have one of these either (only the Panasonic and JVC). Go for the Tosh - it will give you the benefit of DVD-RAM support.

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm sure you would be happy with either. I bought the XS34 because I liked the plethora of editing facilities (and I had used my father in law's XS32). Also, when bought, the XS34 was £40 cheaper than it now appears to be. I bought M/R because I could not find any hacks to make it so. It is not RCE compatible however.

I would be very surprised if the Pioneer was not also a dream to use. I think you will be happy no matter which you choose. HDD recording is just awesome.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'd go for the Pioneer 530 because it has GuidePlus for timer settng and control of a (compatible) Freeview/Satellite box - next best thing to built in digital.
    I understand the Tosh 34 also has IR control for an external box but no GuidePlus.
    Multi Region should be available from a number of on-line retailers (e.g. AVLand @ £360 http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr530/dvr530.htm ).

I currently have a Pioneer 420 and editing is a piece of cake, right down to single frame.

6. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm very happy with the picture quality and ease of editing on my RDXS34 (again down to single frame editing, even on DVD-video mode, although there's sometimes a tiny pause at the splice point). Have no experience of the Pioneer though. Do you need DV in for camcorder footage, and if so has the Pioneer got it?

7. Normandy16

Normandy16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As an owner of an XS32 I believe the 34 is very similar - just a bigger disc.
    The one problem I dislike about it is, it is noisy. There was a lot of discussion in this forum about this - have a look back. It is basically fan noise - the disk isn't a problem. Watching a quiet bit [or when the sound is muted during those mindless **** adverts] it is intrusive - even in a big room, so bear this in mind. A friend with an XS34 also complains of this but I have not heard the machine first hand yet to compare.
    Other wise it's a great machine
    I also get pauses at edit points so it's not a real editor - just a chapter maker, but hey for the money....