1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RDSX32 - what plays back the DVDs OK?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cuseeme, Feb 15, 2005.

1. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite having 4 DVD players at home to choose from, none can play DVDs created in my SX32. What players have other people had good results with? I'm concerned about archiving my VHS to DVD if nothing will be able to play them back once the Tosh had died.

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I'm assuming these are DVD-Rs, did you remember to finalise the discs after recording?

3. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All DVD-R, all finalised and recorded in a range of ways (some live, some dubbed, some dubbed with rate change) and on different media.

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame to hear of your bad luck. I've personally had 100% success rate so far - all PC Write and Rom drives, AMW, Ronin, Wharfedale and haggard old Sony dvd players.
    As soon as i start to lend more discs out, i'll have a better idea of the level of compatibility from my own machine (i'm pretty sure it'll get caught out eventually).

5. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    This worries me to.
    What media are you using JimBob?

6. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Datawrite - currently trying out the 8x printable 'Titanium' discs, but had 100% success with their 4x printable ones. Ditto the Ritek G04 discs that i used in the first 2 weeks of owning my machine.
    I get all my discs from SVP btw....

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Does the write speed of the media make a differance or is write speed limited to the recorders maximum, ie if the recorder was only capable of 2x, would you be better off getting the 4x blanks than the 8x.

...and whats the maximum write speed of the RDXS32? :D

8. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it writes at maximum 4x, but don't quote me on that....

Write speed has always been limited to the recorder's maximum.

9. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if I have a flaky unit? Oddly, they all play back 100% fine on the SX32 itself so in one way or another, they are playable. They won't play at all on an old Pioneer and an oldish Toshiba. They get as far as the menu but won't play on a 6 month old Samsung and play partially but glitch out within minutes on a Toshiba TV/DVD combo. They play with reasonable success on my Dell laptop DVD+R drive but not at all on an old Hitachi DVD-ROM drive. trying to copy them on a Pioneer A04 or NEC 2500 reveal a few CRC errors but these don't appear to affect playback on the SX32. I also bought a Tosh 340E and that won't touch them at all, or some pressed DVDs for that matter so is back at RGB for testing/replacement.

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The XS32 writes at 2X max.

For DVD-R discs, it shouldn’t matter if 4X or 8X, though there have been some reports of more issues with 8X discs and slower burners.. I haven’t seen any issues with 8X discs.

With DVD-RW, generally 4X discs do not work; you should use 2X only.

Mark

11. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    xs32 created disks work fine for me on a cheap portable car player (don't know the make), but the machine likes to "warm up" on a pre-recorded DVD first! They play fine on my old old Pioneer, and my old Scan (although it doesn't like fast forwarding them at anything over 2 x). They also play fine on my dads Scan and my father in laws DVD player and a work colleagues Denon, work colleagues Panasonic DVD recorder, and in all the PC's I have tried. It sounds like you may have either a setup problem or a duff machine.

12. gmr

gmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I tried burning a Datawrite (grey top 8x). It plays back ok on my old tescos (Dansai) machine. But the fast forward doesn't show a preview on any speed greater than 1.5x? Not sure why this is? The disc was recorded at 9.2M - I did hear that some players don't like too high bit rates (>8M)- is this right?
    Cheers
    Gidon

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes, high rate can be an issue for some players. They should all be able to handle the standard (which is just over 10, including the audio), but some struggle, especially if it has to do a lot of error correction. I’ve never seen that issue with the preview though.

Mark

14. gmr

gmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Mark - I'll put it down to the DVD player then ...
    Cheers
    Gidon

15. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would someone be able to creat a DVD on their 32 so I could see if it really is my players or perhap a duff recorder? All costs covered etc?

16. icehockeyboy

icehockeyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got the earlier version of your machine,and i found that my mums wharfedale dvd750 wouldnt play stuff i'd recorded on it. A swop to a tosh 330 solved that, and my own pioneer 575 has no probs with tosh recorded dvd-r's

17. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Sure - send me a private message with your address, and I'll send you one.

Mark

18. Kawolski

Kawolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my XS32 a couple of weeks ago and love it, especially the ease of recording/timeslip using the HDD.
    The only area I have had problems with is creating DVD's. I can create them OK and I have created (and finalized) 2 DVD's on TDK and DataWrite DVD-RW's but they won't play on my Scan DVD player (SC-2500), although they will on my PS2.

This is a real chore as I wanted to record things for family and friends that don't have Sky. Obviously I want to use -RW's so I can re-use once watched. Would I have more luck with DVD-R's as opposed to -RW's?

Does anyone have any ideas why these incompatibilities are occurring?

19. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I done a search for a firmware update but all i could find
    was a german one so i don't know if it will help.
    I have had very few failures but the last couple of days
    i have been using Datasafe 8x printables and had 5 fails
    on the trot.
    http://www.toshiba.de/consumer/dvdsupport/89/

20. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Checking videohelp.com, the SC-2500 seems to have a a pretty good record with -RW discs, so not sure why you are having difficulty.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...h&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

I assume you finalized the discs (which happens automatically if you use the "DVD video creation" menu.).

In general -R are more compatible than -RW (something like 90%+, vs ~80%), so yes -Rs might work.

Mark

21. Kawolski

Kawolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Hambone and redsox_mark. I've since tried the TDK DVD-RW on two other machines and it plays ok. So my Scan player must be getting fussy in its old age. Not much chance of a new firmware upgrade for that though :)

As a matter of interest, has anyone applied the German firmware updates? The site seems to be saying they improve compatibility in some way, but with what? And would applying them change the language on my XS32?

Thanks again.

22. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    It is harder for a player to read a -RW (less reflective I think), so if an old player has marginal laser power, it is the -RW which it will struggle with first.

I haven't tried the German firmware, and haven't seen any reports of anyone brave enough. I think the language stuff is in the software version, not the firmware, so I don't think it will change the language.

As I haven't had any problems with mine with compatability etc I don't want to risk it..

Mark

23. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

I hope you don't mind me asking but I read in the Home Cinema Choice review that the RDXS32 can write up to 4x and also in a product description elsewhere that it can do high speed dubbing from HDD to DVD-R of a 90 minute film in 4 minutes.

I am looking to purchase a HDD DVD Recorder to produce DVD's to sell, so I am looking at one that will copy already edited footage on the HDD to DVD-R pretty quickly.

How long would it take to say copy a 2 1/2 hour long programme onto DVD-R.

Thanks,

Martin

24. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Hmm…

Firstly, rough numbers on how long it should take to record an entire DVD disc (4.7GB):

2X: 30 mins
    4X: 15 mins

Now, how long it takes to dub material of a certain length depends on the bitrate used. For example, if you use a rate such that your 2.5 hour movie fills the disc (which would mean a rate of about 3.6), it would take 30 mins at 2X. But if you recorded it at 1.4, it would take less than half that time.

For –RW discs, I’m sure it can only write at 2X. I’ve timed it, and it is in line with what I’d expect from 2X… plus it only works with 2X discs!

For –R, I think it may write at 4X, but I’ve done less –Rs and haven’t timed it. But it does seem like it is faster than –RWs, and that is consistent with the review, so I think probably yes, it does 4X on –R.

Now, assuming that is true – it will take about 15 mins to dub an entire disc. Now, if you take a 90 minute film, and record it at the lowest setting (1.4), that will fill up approx 25% of the disc… which means yes it would take about 4 mins to dub! But of course, they have quoted the lowest rate, which in general you won’t want to use.

A 90 minute film at the 4.6 SP setting would fill up roughly 75% of the disc, and thus the dub time would be about 12 mins.

Mark

25. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Many thanks firstly for the swift response and also for the detailed explanation, I have been involved with video work for a number of years creating VHS videos but have yet to venture in to DVD production so I am a complete novice when it comes to this.

Best regards,

Martin

26. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Martin,

No problem!

The key point to note with DVDs, is the tradeoff between bitrate (which impacts quality) and space (and how much you can fit).

Generally you will want to fill the disc as much as you can - to get the best quality. In which case it will take about 15 mins to dub. Unless you value speed of production way above quality you wouldn't want to use a low rate so that it would dub faster.

You can get about 2 hours or so at very good quality; you can push it to more like 4 hours and still get VHS quality.

Mark

27. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

What I produce are football highlights which usually can sometimes fill a 3 hour VHS tape but I would certainly be looking to cut that down to produce just about the best qaulity DVD that I could. Am I right in saying that at the 2nd best level I could fit about 2hrs 20min on a DVD.

I am looking at the Tosh for 2 reasons, 1) It has DV in and also for the menu/chapter points which I understand are currently better than the Panasonics.

Thanks again,

Martin

28. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Martin,

With the Toshiba XS32, yes over 2 hours 20 (which translates to a rate less than 4.0) it drops to half resolution, so there is a noticeable change in quality. It isn’t bad at say 3 hours, but the difference is noticeable – especially if you have a large screen. But if you can, try and stick to 2:20 or less per disc.

Compared to the Panasonic E85, yes the XS32 has DV-in and the Panasonic doesn’t. (Panasonic E95 does). I haven’t used an E95 so I can’t say if there is any difference in terms of menus it can create. With any DVD recorder you are somewhat limited in terms of menus; but with the XS32 you can capture any frame you like to use as the background, and you can have chapter points on the menu, or just titles, whichever you prefer. (If you want really fancy DVDs, you need to go the PC route).

If you are looking to create DVDs for sale, the only concern I’d have is the XS32 seems to be more fussy in terms of what discs it writes on. So if you want to use very cheap media to save cost, others may be better for you.

There are also new models coming, both from Toshiba and Panasonic, so it is always changing. But if you want to get one now, you can get some good deals on the XS32… I’m very happy with mine.

Mark

29. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks once again Mark, I really do appreciate your help with this. As regards cost of blank discs, I certainly wouldn't go for the cheapest but not sure what they currently cost.

I see that RGB are selling the Tosh for £310.00, I wouldn't buy from them as I had a bad experience with them a couple of years ago but I am hoping someone may price match if I decide to buy in the next few days.

Best regards,

Martin

30. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The DVD-Rs I use (Verbatim pastel coloured) are good and work well, but among the most expensive (55p each).

You can pay as little as 25p each... maybe even less.

I'm not sure there is measurable evidence that the XS32 is more fussy - I've seen posts from other recorder users about media issues - but on this forum the XS32 has the most posts about media issues. But it may be that there are just a lot of XS32 owners here.

£310 is a good price. Good luck with your decision!

Mark