Toshiba RD100KB cold problem

Loughlini

Novice Member
When I first switch on my RD100KB in the morning the video and sound are broken up (fragmented). It's like watching a news broadcast over a satellite link from a far-off country when the link stalls and the picture breaks into pieces. This problem corrects itself after about 3 minutes so it's obviously a thermal (cold) problem. I have tried removing the HDMI cable and using the original Scart connection but it made no difference.
Has anyone had this problem and can suggest which component(s) might be failing?
I could take it to an AV repair shop but it might be cheaper to just buy a new unit.
Any ideas?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Symptoms like that which disappear after warmup are usually caused by failing electrolytic capacitors in the power supply section.
Try and find a local small TV repair shop and ask them to take a look.

Loughlini

Novice Member
Symptoms like that which disappear after warmup are usually caused by failing electrolytic capacitors in the power supply section.
Try and find a local small TV repair shop and ask them to take a look.
Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll take a look for weeping or crusty electrolytic capacitors. I used to be an IT guru (many years ago) but I had to hand back my oscilloscope and other test equipment when I left the company. So, I can only do basic 'visual' troubleshooting today.

I am reluctant to go to a repair shop since their charges come close to buying a new unit. Also these kinds of intermittent warm-up type of problems are often quite time consuming to diagnose.
We have some important recordings on the HDD which I would like to retain so perhaps I need to dub them to DVD. I now need to research what type of DVD to use since there is some discussion on this forum regarding what's the best type. I guess DVD's and CD's are going out of fashion nowadays and folks prefer USB flash drives to archive files.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom