Toshiba RD-XV47 - HDD Error. Is there operating system on HDD?

T

tinkerer

I have a Toshiba RD-XV47 HDD/DVD/VCR just out of warranty! When switched on the unit comes up with HDD Error and switches itself off. Great. Can't even use the VCR or the DVD. I fitted another HDD I had kicking around with the intention of formatting it from the menu but got the same message. Is it possible that the HDD is not just for storage but contains some operating system? What file system is used on the disc?

ROYOLD

Novice Member
The file system on DVD recorders is usually the manufacturer's own proprietory
system so it will not be recognised by Windows.

Haven't particularly noticed any postings on the forum of swapping out Toshiba recorder HDD's so maybe it requires a firmware update by the service agents.

I purchased the RD-XV48DTKB about 10 days ago from Electrotec and the only difference between this and your 47 model is that this has the integrated analogue/freeview tuner. It was cheap at £144-84 from Electrotec in Oldham.

DVD Players & Recorders. DVD Players & Recorders - Electrical-deals secure online shop

The Troubleshooting guide is near the end pages of the manual. I cannot see any entry which just states "HDD error". Have you checked these pages?

This machine is mainly a dvd recorder and may have brought forth more replies in the recorders forum. The one just above this one.

There is a long thread on the Toshiba RD-XV32 with mention of firmware available on a German website. This wouldn't work on the UK model so not much help there then.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-...lacing-dvd-drive-toshiba-rdxs32-possible.html

It doesn't, however, answer your query on is the drive firmware contained on the HDD.

Last edited:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
This machine is mainly a dvd recorder and may have brought forth more replies in the recorders forum. The one just above this one.
Now moved >>>>

Hamgray

Standard Member
An old topic I know, but got the same HDD Error message on my Topshiba RD-XV47 now!
Wondering if anyone (Tinkerer if he's still a member) had any solution?
I have downloaded the Service Manual, but nothing mentioned.
Tried two different hard drives (IDE 160GB) but same message.
Is there a way to format a replacement drive?
Problem is the machine shuts down after showing the error, however if I insert as VHS tape and quickly press play, it will play for about 15 secs. then switch off.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom