Toshiba RD-XS34SU timer recording fails - why?

M

MarkWH

My luck is about 70% success, 30% failure with scheduled timer recordings. Example, I just checked my favorite show - it was scheduled to start recording at 9PM. Checked back about 9:15 - its not recording. It only seems to do this occasionally. This same program has recorded successfully before. Any ideas why it might not be working? Anybody else seen this hit/miss recording behaviour?

Thanks,
Mark :confused:

alan8477

MarkWH, is that Houston USA? I understand that the US version of the XS34 has EPG programming, is that what you are using?

M

MarkWH

Hi, thanks for all the replies, and yes I"m in Houston Texas. Sorry about Bush. Anyway, tonight I came home and the show I had set to record tonight was not recording. However, when I tried to use the "instant" record red button, it gave me a message stating "timer recording is about to begin", but it never did. I tried to turn the unit off, and it gave the same message and told me I had to cancel the timer recording before shutting down. I pulled the power cord from the wall socket. When it powered back up, it began recording the show I had programmed. Very frustrating.

M

MarkWH

Sorry, I forgot to answer the question about EPG programming. I couldn't find that in the manual. This machine has TV Guide built in, and I use that to choose the program, and set the recording options (once, regularly, weekly, start early, late etc.) What's EPG? Anyway, I think my machine has a bug. Has anybody heard of any firmware or other type of update for this device? Thanks again for the replies.
Mark

P

pilotsnipes

Yes your "Built in TV guide " is also known over here as an EPG. None of us in europe have the EPG (well UK anyway) and so we always use the manual way of telling the machine to start at 9pm and finish at 9:30pm.

Perhaps you could try that way for a couple of days to see if it's more reliable. I'd have to agree with the others, the XS34 has been rock solid and never missed a program yet for me that I've programed it to record.

A

AlbaMeccanica

My Toshiba has never skipped a programmed recording either. :)

M

MarkWH

Thanks again for your posts. The darn machine recorded as programmed tonight, so I guess I'm back in my 70% good phase. Hope it lasts a while. Only theory now is it is some bug in the TV Guide programming system. I also have a Panasonic DMR-HS2, and it has never failed me. Sadly it has a very small hard disk. Also, the Toshiba's TV guide is quite useful and makes programming easy, if unreliable. No such thing as a free lunch I guess.

Top Bottom