Toshiba RD-XS34

The really exciting thing as far as I'm concerned, is that they are due soon - in April/May
That's what they said last year :) Ended up being September before we got the new models.

The RDRGX210 is on sale now cheapest place is totaldigital £195 inc P+P

Sony Rdrgx210 Dvd...The RDRGX210 is on sale now cheapest place is totaldigital £195 inc P+P
You'd probably be best posting that in a new thread. Nobody is going to see it deep inside the Toshiba RDXS34 thread ;)

:thumbsup: Hi Everyone from a long-time lurker!

Firstly, thank you all for many months of valuable information. I have just ordered a Toshiba RDXS34 from TVad Video Direct for just under £300 including delivery. It should arrive on Thursday.

Secondly, can you answer a query please?

I want to order some DVD-RW discs. SVP gets good reports for online service. Ritec discs get good reports too. However, the speed of the discs all seem to be X4 or X8 or more and I believe the Toshiba will only write to X2 maximum speed. Where can I buy Ritec X2 speed discs online (or am I misinformed)?

I have just ordered one of these from unbeatable for £305 delivered. Will let everyone know what it's like when I receive it.

Are any of these multiregion? or are they easy to "hack"?

They quote PAL prog Scan, so no NTSC prog Scan??

Thanks

Jai

These RDXS34s are MultiRegion and are in stock http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm

£329 including next day delivery and 25 free DVD-R. Excellent service from the company.

I received mine last Thursday :thumbsup: and am so far very pleased, although I've only got round to using the basic functions so far.

jai,

I had a quick scan through the manual regarding the Prog Scan capability. I'm not particularly familiar with the technology, but found a section on Progressive Conversion which allows three modes depending on the content being viewed.
Film (pictures recorded from films at 24 frames per second)
Video (signals recorded at 25 frames in PAL( 30 frames in NTSC))
Auto (which switches automatically between the two).

I would imagine that this suggests that NTSC prog scan would be possible but couldn't say for sure. Also there is a a button on the remote to switch between Progressive and Interlaced which doesn't relate to what the source content is, NTSC or PAL.

scoobyM

is the x32 easy to make multi-region? Does anyone know if the x34 will be "hackable"?

Hi all,

Is the xs34 a good SKY+ alternative. I want a HD/DVD recorder that will have a 'pause live TV' and a decent TV guide... What the TV guide like on the 34?

Thanks

Simon

It doesn't have a EPG - the tuner is analogue only. Same with all current DVD/HDD recorders, though that will change soon.

It can pause live TV.

Mark

So I'm best waiting for a unit that has EPG (I take this is what SKY+ uses?)

What is TIVO like is this EPG?

Cheers

Simon

Tivo's EPG is a class act. Simple and intuitive to use. I've had my TiVo for about 4 years, now, and wouldn't be parted from it.

The EPGs which are comming are Freeview. For Sky users, I don't think anything can touch Sky+. Add a HDD/DVD to it, and you have a good (though expensive) solution.

TiVo has (had? is this still around in the UK) its own EPG, which got updated regularly, and would work if you had Cable, Sky, etc (I guess you subscribe to different versions of the EPG). No HDD/DVD recorder does this.

Mark

Tivo is still very much around in the UK! There aren't new boxes being sold, but existing boxes are still supported, and the second-hand market is seeing them sell at higher prices than many were sold new.

If TiVo got a bit less picky about who it works with, and got some of the DVD recorder people to bundle it in their recorders it'd be a killer device in the UK.

I don't want to fork out £20-40 a month for SKY+ but I do want the ease of recording that SKY+ has. I think I might just have to wait...

Anyone have any good sky offers?

The usual is 3 months half price (or first month free) and £99 for a standard sky+ box or 399 for the 160GB box (£300 extra is taking the p*ss!!)

Too much for me... :-(

Thanks

Simon

It sounds like TIVO is dying out so i don't want to start using this... although it doesn't sound bad.. but again £10 a month just for a TV guide is a bit steep...

Simon

It's proven itself to be a bargain - £200 lifetime subscription, and 48 months use so far... £4 a month, about the cost of a Radio Times a week and far more usable.

As for dying out; the EPG content provider have just opened a European office to service Tivo - not something they'd likely be doing if the plug was about to be pulled. And why would they pull the plug? About 40,000 boxes in use, probably around half paying £10 a month for listings - about £10m a year from providing listings?

And if the plug was pulled it's already known how to provide listings without Tivo inc's help.

As for Sky+ - I had that side by side with Tivo for the year to christmas. Absolute nightmare. Regularly fails to record what's asked, randomly deletes recordings, can't cope well with the dual recording (which is meant to be the major plus of it). I can't warn you off it enough. I sold mine and put the money towards an RD-XS32 and don't regret a second.

kitschcamp - would your recommendation be a tivo unit and the new RD-XS34 then?

Can you record one channel and still watch another with this combo?

Thanks

Interesting... I knew the (new) TiVo hardware came and went, didn't mean to imply that support of the existing units was going away.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom