Toshiba RD-XS34 - weird problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bernie_pt, Jul 6, 2005.

1. bernie_pt

bernie_pt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to archive some TV recordings to DVD. So, I carefully cut the commercials, create a playlist, dub the title to HDD and finally create a DVD.
    Here the trouble begins. It happens that some chapters on DVD retain frames (on the beginning or the end) of commercials that have been cut out on HDD. If I watch frame-by-frame the HDD title, no 'spurious' frames appear. Watching DVD content, it have 'spurious' frames. Copying the DVD content to the HDD, it retains the undesirable frames. It seems also that the movie length is different on both media. On HDD is 1:51:58, on DVD is 1:52:00 and the same scenes have different positions on timebar. DVD compatibility is SET to ON(I). My FW versions are ZW10 MT19 (and I like to know from other users what FW versions they have).
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What you are seeing is a consequence of hi speed dubbing. Unless you do a real time dub that re-creates the mpeg structure you will always be +/- 12 frames at worst (1/2 sec ish).

When playing edited content on the HDD it gets round this.

I have a Tosh 32, and have never found a way do do a real time dub.

Hope this helps

Keith

3. bernie_pt

bernie_pt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. I will try this as soon as possible. Following your argument, on the XS34 manual they wrote something about frame editing (VR) and GOP editing (Video) and how to shift chapter marks to a max of 0.5 seconds. Maybe this is related? (0.5 seconds on your post made a bell ringing on my head)

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The DVD standard length of a group-of-pictures is 15 frames. Frame editing allows the division to be made between frames, whereas GOP editing only allows the division to be made between one group of fifteen frames and the next.
    Since PAL is 25 frames per second, that's where the (approximate) 0.5 sec resolution of GOP editing comes from.

Presumably at frame level editing, the recorder must restructure all the GOPs in the entire recording back to the 15 frame standard, and can only do this as the recording is playing in real time. Anything faster and it hasn't got the processing capacity to make simultaneously the GOP changes and the copy, so it limits the editing resolution to points between already established GOPs.

If you've used frame level editing then try to dub at faster than real time, then the recorder will probably make the decision which way to move the pointer to get to a GOP boundary. In practice it's not usually that difficult to find a suitable GOP boundary which is acceptable to the final edited playback, but you will be able to make a better decision than the machine.