Toshiba RD-XS34 Vs. Panasonic DMR-EH50

TheCat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm certainly no expert, but have narrowed my search to these two machines. I just want it for watching and recording, not editing a great deal really.

It seems to me that the Panasonic gets great reviews, as does the Toshiba, and there is little between them.

One thing I'd like to clarify however. Sky doesn't have a timer to change channels, but it appears the Toshiba might be able to change channel for you. Is that correct?

Does the Panasonic do this also and just how noisy is the Toshiba's fan?

Any comments on the above or other things would be most appreciated.

Please use the search...everything you ask has been answered 100 times before.

You: One thing I'd like to clarify however. Sky doesn't have a timer to change channels, but it appears the Toshiba might be able to change channel for you. Is that correct?

Only the toshiba does this.

Does the Panasonic do this also

No.

.....and just how noisy is the Toshiba's fan?

Sitting on top of it yes you can hear it. Sitting on your couch 6-10ft away you can only hear it if you
a)Have the volume on your tv to zero AND
b)Listen for it.

I have now sold my RDXS34 due to the fan noise and speed to start. I am now starting to regret my decision.

I thought I would go for the Panasonic EH60D due to large HDD and Freeview tuner... However... The editing ability by comparison looks decidedly poor.

Looking in the manual I cannot see how you can automatically (pressing 1 button and applying to the whole recording) apply Chapters to a HDD recording after the recording has taken place?

Also is it possible to merge all of the chapters and then re apply them at a different frequency?

Can I make a Playlist from different recordings and save them as a new recording (Edit together a series of programmes removing the adverts and recorder over different weeks)? then choose the bit rate manually so as to adjust to the quality vs space and then re record this from HDD to HDD at a different quality.

The more i think about it the Tosh was superb just needed to be quicker and quieter

I have other questions but these are the main ones.

Many thanks

AB-P

Get the Tosh. Noisy, yes, but the ability to control STBs is great.

I'll think I'll go with the Tosh, the ability to alter the STB (what does this stand for please?) seems just what I want.

How noisy can it be anyway.

Thanks all and sorry for asking the same questions again.

STB = Set top box (Pace Sky box for me).

It is quite noisy - about as noisy as a laptop or a quiet-ish PC. Louder than a VCR.
If the TV's off it's noticeable. With it on it's OK.

Incidentally, you can get Sky to change channels automatically, but getting the recorder to do it is much easier.

WorKid said:
Incidentally, you can get Sky to change channels automatically, but getting the recorder to do it is much easier.

Absolutely, I defy ANYONE to stand up and say that when they used sky to change the channel to the one they wanted to watch at the time they wanted to see it, and that they didn't miss any of the program!

Flicking over on numerous times using sky's change channel function, reguliary (sp?) missed the first 30 secs of many soaps on TV3 (Republic Of I).

And of course if you have the Panny, it needs about 20secs to determine if the Sky box has switched on, before it starts recording (another 20 of your program gone) if you have it in EXT Link Mode.

Of course you could set the Panny up to record say 3 mins before your program starts, but now you've just doubled your work! Programing two machines to record ONE program.

Get the tosh 34, and **** off down the pub.....it's just so much more straight forward. At least your FULL program will be waiting for you when you get back!

Hi, I record from Sky digibox onto Tosh RDXS34. Personally I haven't used the Tosh's "wand" which change's the digibox's channel (just my luck the cat would probably walk past the sensor just as it tried to switch channels!!!!). If I need to switch channels overnight, I leave the digibox on, and use its "autoview" (on the Electronic Programme Guide) to switch channels automatically. But because the EPG is often a minute or two out, I always try to get it to change channels for the previous programme (e.g. set "autoview" for 10 o'clock news ready to record something at 10:30, and set the Tosh timer for 10:29), so as not to miss the first few seconds!

felix2 - this is NOT a personal attack

But how pathetic is it to have to set the sky channel to switch over to the channel for the program BEFORE the one you want to record!

What a:
a) waste of time or
b) waste of technology by not using the tosh xs34 "magic wand"
c) shame you can't record a 30min program at 10pm, and another on a different channel at 10:30pm.

Use the xs34 sky changer (how far away from the sky box is it? mines about 20 cms! The cat wouldn't stand a chance getting in the way of it!) Record more programs and watch them when it suits you!

You can record a sky program WHEN it starts, AT the beginning, AND get another program recorded without haveing to worry about the sky auto changer!

felix2 - this is NOT a personal attack.

You can record a sky program WHEN it starts, AT the beginning, AND get another program recorded without haveing to worry about the sky auto changer!
Assuming that the broadcasters are keeping to the schedule and not over running like I believe a lot of seem to do on purpose ;)

Fair dinkum, pilotsnipes. I've just taken the xs34 wand out of the box for the first time... I've honestly never needed to record 2 consecutive programmes on different channels in the 6 months I've had the recorder. But if/whenever I do, I'll know what to do now (!).

Yes, I agree it's pathetic that the Sky EPG isn't reliable enough to use for timer recordings. Presumably it has to work somehow with Sky+?? It's also a bit sad that my old Pace digibox just very occasionally turns itself off overnight, and has even been known not to recognise the remote control, if it's been on too long and is feeling a bit warm! I also find it a bit disappointing that the solution is a little control box you have to perch in front of your digibox (sorry, the cat comment was a bit tongue in cheek - she's shut in the kitchen overnight :) ), and then remember a 3-digit (soon to be 4-digit?) channel code for whatever you want to record, rather than just selecting the programme you want on the EPG. But hey, it is a solution, and it works! Roll on the rest of the digital revolution, when these sorts of problems won't come up???!!!

felix2 said:
I also find it a bit disappointing that the solution is a little control box you have to perch in front of your digibox (sorry, the cat comment was a bit tongue in cheek - she's shut in the kitchen overnight :) ), and then remember a 3-digit (soon to be 4-digit?) channel code for whatever you want to record, rather than just selecting the programme you want on the EPG. But hey, it is a solution, and it works! Roll on the rest of the digital revolution, when these sorts of problems won't come up???!!!

Heheh well I found that I could place the wand in the corner of my TV stand out of view and it still had no problem transmitting to the sky box.

But this is where the beauty of the recording system on the Tosh shines. Set up (lets say for a daily soap at 7pm) a recurring record program for Mon-Fri from 6.59 to 7.30, on channel 103.

Walk away, and never look back or miss an episode! (And you can put a default name for each of the recordings so that when you look at the guide list later on, you can see what all your recordings actually are, rather than just a time stamp - lovely!)

Thanks, I think you've won me over on that one! It is easier doing it all on the Tosh really, isn't it?!

I obviously don't watch enough TV, if I'm not recording daily/weekly progs (!), - although I never miss "Neighbours" (20 years' anniversary this week!!!).

The wand seems to work fine sitting inside the front leg of the TV stand (with a bit of tape to keep it in place). But why do we have to lift a flap on the remote control to key in a channel number?!!! :rolleyes:

By the way, when Sky update their EPG system, it appears that only the radio stations will have 4-digit channel numbers - my source who originally suggested otherwise has been suitably chastised!!! :lesson:

Hello, I have a problem with the XS34 'magic wand'. I own a Televes RSD7254 sat receiver(Emtech CI200 mk.I clone), and I tried ALL the codes Toshiba gives in the setup book for Televes, plus a handful of others, and none works. I know the Tosh is emitting (tested with videocam) and the receiver seems not so fussy about the angle for IR. Do you know of any problems with this setup? Is it necessary to set the SAT CTRL on when you are setting up the code? Is the Televes not standard?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Walk away, and never look back or miss an episode! (And you can put a default name for each of the recordings so that when you look at the guide list later on, you can see what all your recordings actually are, rather than just a time stamp - lovely!)
I can do all this on my E85, so I imagine that it will definately be possible on the E50. The only thing I have to do is to set the series link on the Sky box once and then I don't have to change channels on the Sky box either.

JohnG said:
I can do all this on my E85, so I imagine that it will definately be possible on the E50. The only thing I have to do is to set the series link on the Sky box once and then I don't have to change channels on the Sky box either.

Yes the Panny Eh50 does indeed record a name to each recording if you specify it, and it actually will grab the name of teletext if the channel you are recording has teletext on it which only ever worked about twice for me, but still it's there. (And to concede one small thing that was better is that the thumbnails in the guide list for the panny were little movie clips which looked nice rather than just one captured still on the tosh).

However the series link still brings you back to the issue of the sky box having to switch on at the right time, I always found (perhaps it was just me) that I missed the first 20-50secs of most programs recorded in this way. It may sound petty but it really really bugged me! I got so annoyed at having to set the timer manually on the EH50 and then have sky switch to the channel as early as possible I had to look at a new alternative.....and of course the fact that my UK EH50 couldn't tune in to Irish analoge frequencies - doh!

Having the tosh set up now, I honestly never touch it from one week to anoter, but get all the programs I want recorded, and if I need to add a new one it doesn't take me 10 mins working out the best way to get sky to change to that channel.

Horses for courses of course, and that Panny EH50 is still a beautful machine, just lacked that vitial usability for me.

I've gone for the Tosh. The ability to change the STB to the correct channel sold it to me and it'll be housed behind a door, so the fan shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for all your input.

After a week come back and give us a review! Hopefully may answer the same questions that pop up here time and time again :)

Here are my first impressions then.

Firstly, it looks great and the instructions make it easy to set up.

The fan is really loud, there's no getting around it. I recorded Spooks whilst I was playing football and in the quiet parts you can hear it above the TV!!!

The STB changer is great, it turned over to Spooks without any problems.

The picture is fantastic and the controls easy to use when playing DVDs, altering the audio etc etc. The remote is a bit cumbersome, especially if using the buttons below the flap.

All in all, a great machine though.

The remote is a bit cumbersome, especially if using the buttons below the flap.

Yes I though so too.

I went and bought one of the logitech Harmoney remote controls so that I could control my, panny TV, panny media box, surround sound system, PS2 and of course the Tosh X34 all from one controller.

With the exception of the Tosh, there hasn't been a better buy I've made all year. And the girlfriend can use everypiece of TV equipment in the house first time every time.....in fact she can actually record any program she wants without help! Now there's a good product!

pilotsnipes said:
And the girlfriend can use everypiece of TV equipment in the house first time every time.....in fact she can actually record any program she wants without help! Now there's a good product!

I hardly believe you !!!! :thumbsup:

Hi, I've only used the STB wand 4 or 5 times, without any problems - until last night, when I set it to record Jools Holland, on channel "S102" (i.e. BBC2). So I was pretty miffed this morning to find it had recorded 1 hour of the blue screen, because it had turned over to channel 110 (something like UKTV?) instead! :(

The start of the recording does show a "2" had just been typed into the STB, so it must have got the signal for "1 - 1 - 0 - 2", getting the "1" twice! If it's not 100% reliable, it would be useless! Have I done anything wrong, or has anyone else had the problem? Otherwise, back to the slightly slower, slightly more awkward way of setting autoview on the STB??... :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom