1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS34 VHS Recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PieOPah, Jun 18, 2005.

1. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After buying and setting up my Toshiba RD-XS34, I found that my Video Recorder was redundant. The plan was to move it into the bedroom to watch old films in bed. Never even got round to doing this as it is such a rare thing!

I have recently decided that I would like to transfer a few old concerts from Video to DVD. Due to some computer problems I haven't been able to use this method so wanted to try the Tosh instead.

With the way everything is setup, I have no idea where the Video can fit into all of this (not enough Scart points). Instead, what I have been able to do, is connect the video to the AUX input of the TV in the same way you would a video camera.

Is it possible to have the Tosh record from this channel? Would want to be able to do the same thing with my Video Camera (never could work it out when trying to record to the video with this method!!)

Thanks,
    Simon

2. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Never mind, accidentally stumbled across the answer :D

Connect direct to Tosh

3. rockastansky

rockastansky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, you just plug the output scart from the vhs player into the av2 input of the toshiba dvd recorder. you can then play vhs through the recorder (have av2 set) and if you want you can record as you watch. I've started archiving my old videos in this way and have got great results. i use the SP setting and you lose no quality at all. excellent recorder and great functionality.

4. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a problem with this - I have just connected a scart - a/v lead ( scart at one end & jack plugs at the other) and connected scart from video and a/v into front of your toshiba and selected 'L'. The picture is grey with lines going through! Can you help?
    If I was to use a scartplug from the output scart from the vhs player into the av2 input of the toshiba dvd recorder, this would mean I would have to disconnect the AV2 TO SAT/DECODER from the recorder every time I wanted to play/record from Video recorder wouldn't I?
    Is there another way? Perhaps to get a better picture from the input in front of the recorder? Can you please help?

5. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used the white/yellow (audio) and red (video) leads at both ends from the video to front of Tosh.

While this means I need to disconnect/reconnect the leads everytime I want to use the video (only because it looks messy) it does the exact job I am after

6. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, but you stated that you connect a scart from video to av2 on tosh recorder - which means you disconnect the sat/decoder from the recorder every time, so you can't watch tv while you record video. From my scart a/v lead I connect the white/yellow and red leads plus the svideo adaptor from back of video to the front of the recorder, rather than run a scart lead from av2 scart of recorder to video, but the picture is appalling!

7. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you tried using the white/yellow/red on recorder to the same on the video? This is what I am doing and there is no problem with quality. What I put in is what I get out....

Due to me not having enough scart sockets, I can't use any other method than what I have just mentioned (without disconnecting scart which I refuse to do - too much messing around behind the scenes).

Remember, the quality that you record at will have a result on the final quality. Also, S-video is a lower quality than the Red Video-In (from what I have been told in other forums).

8. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am doing exactly like you, as I too do not have enough scart sockets and do not wish to disconnect the scart. When I play the video it is grey with lines coming through!
    The scart splitter I put at the back of the video also has an svideo connection - I place the red white and yellow in also. In the manual, it states that the yellow is the video, red and white are audio, and the svideo overides the yellow (video) connector as it is better quality. However, it doesn't matter how I place them, the picture is awful.
    Is there something I should look at in the setup? I have gone over and over the manual, but I can't find anything!

9. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try without the S-Video. I have a Scart converter type thing which I used to use for my computer. If I used s-video, the picture was slightly better quality but only Black & White. Not sure what you are using exactly, but it sounds like you have something similar to what I was using (this was for a different video recorder - one I now use has the red/white connectors, other only had scart).

10. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you PieOPah, I do appreciate you replying and I have just done what you suggested - the picture is now in colour, but it is very shaky/jumpy! I don't know if you have any suggestions? I have tried a few videos in - even videos which are recorded (films), compared them with some of ones I have recorded myself, but it is disappointing! I do have another video recorder which I will try out to see if perhaps the heads need a clean.

11. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could possibly be a faulty connection or maybe even a problem with you cables.

Like you said, there may be a problem with the heads needing a clean. Do you have anything else that you can connect vis the Tosh such as a Video Camera? If you have something else then you may be able to determine whether the problem is cables or the Video Recorder you are using.

Do you have another TV that you can connect the Video to just to see what the picture is like with a different source?

12. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have just tried connecting to another vcr, and it was much better, I shall get a quality head cleaning kit to clean the vcr and hope that works. Thank you for your help, and if you have any tips on video recording e.g. to get the best quality recording, I would be very grateful, as the manual is not very friendly when you are going through things step by step - as it keeps stating go to page this and that all the time!

13. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad I could be of some help :)

Depending on what your plans are for the Video content, I would record at the highest quality you can. What I do is work out how long the recording will be then change the quality so that it will all fit onto a single DVD. Obvioulsy the longer something is the lower the quality is... Again, this all depends on the content and whether I don't mind it being split across more than 1 disc (eg Glastonbury from the past can be split but individual concerts I prefer on a single disc).

Good Luck :D