Toshiba RD-XS34 Recordings have problems playing in other machines - help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by blacksnow, Aug 30, 2005.

1. blacksnow

blacksnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I've had my RD-XS34 for about 3 weeks & overall I'm really pleased with it. However, one major problem I'm coming up against is that quite a few (about 15%) of my recordings have a lot of problems when I try to play them back on my 2 other dvd players, one a hitachi (which has the most problems) & one an AMW multi-region.

One problem is that a lot of the discs seem to be stuck in a continuous "load" routine & so never display the content menu - I have re-recorded the same programmes onto other discs & they seem to work ok, but I have tried a lot of different disc manufacturers, including Verbatim, TDK, Fuji, Panasonic, Memorex & Maxell, & the problem doesn't show any obvious correlation with the type of disc. All of these recordings were dvd-r & I used the "create dvd-video" menu option for all of them.

My other problem is that a fair few of my recordings play perfectly on the source machine, but display a great deal of interference & jumps on my other machines - again no specific pattern as to the discs I am using.

I am wondering whether other RD-XS34 users have experienced similar problems & whether these problems, & a 15% failure rate are just part & parcel of the whole dvd recording process. My main concern is that, a few years down the line, when it's time for me to replace my Toshiba, I will find I have a dvd collection that doesn't play on other machines.

Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated, since my confidence in what is otherwise a great machine has been somewhat shaken. Thank you.

2. aldinho

aldinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba DR-1 and have the same problem !, i have a lot of disks that i made on my Pc, the Toshiba will not play them !! so i had to try 3 different players to find one that would !! its really weird the Toshiba seems to be really fussy about what it will or will not play i think its just the Dvd player market,you end up going to Comet and getting them to plug in a variety of players untill you get one that will play your media... that apart it's a great machine.