TOSHIBA RD XS34-rec from SKY+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by martin day, Mar 17, 2006.

1. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I want to record from stuff saved on my SKY+ I run the record process overnight. But if I only have 2hrs to record the Toshiba carries on recording for 8 hours.

Is there a way I can manually set the recorder to run just the required amount of time?

2. RosemaryP

RosemaryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes after you start recording press quick menu and the first option is "end recording time" (it is always half an hour from when you started) if it is 11.15 pm and you are doing two hours change it ti 01.15 press ok. Then press quick menu again and an option is "auto power off". Click on that and it will stop recording and turn itself off at the time you requested it to.

RosemaryP

3. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Rosemary that's a great help. Whilst I've got your attention perhaps you can help further. I've read the huge manual and to be honest find some of it very confusing so could you guide me thru the procedure in easy steps to do the following...

As you know I rec from SKY+ and have lots of stuff sitting on the Tosh where I only need a very small part of what I've recorded for example 5 mins out of a 1 hr programme. I have quite a few of these saved and would then like to just keep the clips I need and then put them all onto a dvd.

Whats the easiest and quickest way of doing this please

4. RosemaryP

RosemaryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would do a playlist. Press the content menu button to the recording you want and press play. Whizz through the recording and when you come to the bit you want press the CHP DIVIDE button and again at the end of the clip. Then press stop. Press content menu button again and then press the green button with a star and you get your chapters including the clip you did.
    Press Quick menu, cursor down to Edit and press on playlist edit. You then have to press the star green button again. You will then see your chapters on your current recording. Cursor to the clip you want and press OK twice. Then press the yellow button to save the playlist. Then press the green star button again. You can then dub the playlist to the DVD. Dont delete the original until you have done that or your playlist will disappear as well.

It sounds complicated but the more you do it the more you do it.

I am only on the internet at work and am going home now.

RosemaryP

5. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. Don't think I'm going to get much chance to do this over the weekend but if i do will let you know.

6. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rosemary,

I'm signing in from home now under my other sign in. I have managed to save lots of playlists to the content menu and my next task is to copy them to disk.

These are all bits and pieces of 'Will Young' for my daughter which we want to put on a disk. Can I record all of these individually numbered playlists onto one disk?

Also last night I tried recording from SKY using the timed recording and auto switch off as you explained. When I went to content menu I couldn't find it. But in libraray menu it was there? What's the difference and if I now want to set this up as a playlist how do I get it onto contnet menu?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Martin.

7. RosemaryP

RosemaryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin,

Yes you can record all the playlists to a disk until it has no space left. I know most people set it at 2 hours to a disk, but I have always found 4 hours good enough for me.

Re the other query. I have never come across that. I do not have SKY, but a freeview PVR but I would have thought it was basically the same when recording from it. Whenever I have done it they are just there in the contents list.

All I can think of is that maybe you had a blank dVd in the machine and it was set to record on that by mistake. Then if you took the dvd out it could only be in the library.

RosemaryP

8. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had no disk in the machine so I don't understand that either. I'll probably give that another go and see if it turns up in content menu!

So what is supposed to be in the library that's different from content menu.

Is the library supposed to contain everything that you have on your hard disk?

9. RosemaryP

RosemaryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin,

I have never used the library to be honest. There is such a lot to learn that I only use the bits I need. In our house my husband is useless at anything to do with VCRs or DVD recorders so it is always up to me. We had a Pace Twin PVR and he learned how to use that and now we have a Digifusion 145 and after a lot of complaining he can now use that, but he has never ever used the DVD recorder and has no intention of doing so.

Rosemary

10. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks Rosemary. Maybe I'll start a new thread to see if anyone can answer that one. Watch this space !!