Toshiba RD-XS34 or Pioneer DVR 530H?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PippaK, Jul 21, 2005.

1. PippaK

PippaK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I’m a novice who has been enjoying reading all the threads on combined DVD and HDD systems. I have some questions that I hope an expert out there may be able to help with. :)

I would like to convert various vhs films to DVD and also transfer some old vinyl records to CD. The advice given to some other members was to use a HDD/DVD system (such as the Toshiba RD-XS34 or Pioneer DVR 530H) and if necessary write to a DVD RW and make any conversions etc on the PC later.

The problem is that if I am investing in a DVD/HDD system (and don’t have buckets of spare cash) I would like to add functionality by being able to record not only terrestrial TV (as we have at the moment) but also Sky/Freeview. I see that some members have mentioned that freeview will probably be included in some machines available in September. Does anyone know this for sure? Or is it just wishful thinking!

I am expecting my next baby in November :zonked: and if I buy new kit I need to install it whilst I can still reach the connections! Any help/advice would be very gratefully received! :lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Have a look at the 'Which DVD REcorder?' link in my signature - it aims to provide a useful guide through the minefield of DVD recording.

September/October time. The major players will be Panasonic EH60D, Sony RDR-RHXD710, Sony RDR-RHXD910 and Sony RDR-RHXD1010. There may or may not be Philips and Samsung models available this year as well. The Panasonic and Sony models are confirmed though.

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    And the Pioneer 930!

4. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My VCR's bust and its time to upgrade to a HDD/DVR. Just when I thought i'd found a reasonable priced one-TOSHIBA RDXS34 I then read a bit more about certain 'connectivities'.

Can anyone confirm re I link input because according to Rasczaks top 5 it says the Tosh has this but reading some of the magazine reviews it says it doesn't. The other point is set-top box control. My VCR was able to control my Sky box and switch the channel over. Can the Tosh do this?

If the Tosh doesn't have either of these capabilities can anyone recommend one that does.

5. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Tosh can control Sky and does have i-Link.

6. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alan. I've just checked Tosh website and ur right on both counts.

This is a bit worrying though when I've just read What Hi-fi and What something or other and both say that it doesn't have DVI?

By the way it says it also has Videoplus and Videoplus DELUXE. Do you know what DELUXE does?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Interesting - where did you hear that? I was told that the DVR930 would not have a Freeview tuner. Infact Pioneer are on record in the current What Video as saying they have no plans for a HDD/DVDR/DVB as it would require a UK specific model. Certainly the specs for the DVR930 that I've seen show it is another Guideplus model - which would indicate it's not a Freeview recorder (obviously Guideplus is not carried by Freeview).

Provisional DVR930 specs can be seen here BTW.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    DVI is different from DV input/Firewire. 'DVI' is referring to a different type of connection altogether.

9. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's website says it has I link which is what i need to transfer direct from my dv camera is that right?

10. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right!

11. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Teach me to read the initial post properly!
    :oops:

12. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys just one more question re the Tosh. Ive already got a pioneer dvd656a multi region which is connected into my only RGB scart in my TV. The other connexion was between my VCR and the TV. Presumably if i buy the Tosh I will have to ditch the panny as I have only one RGB and I need this connection if I want to get a quality recording? If this is the case then I will ahve to go for the multi-region version of the Tosh as I have region 1 dvd's

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The Tosh has RGB pass through - so you could connect the DVD player to the RGB in (AV2) Scart, and then the RGB out (AV1) from the Tosh to the TV. It is common to do this with a sat/cable/freeview box, but I see no reason why you couldn't do the same with a DVD player.

Mark

14. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's probably how i've got it set up at the mo. With the DVD player daisy chained to the SKY box and then the TV cos when I turn the DVD on it overrides the SKY box. So r u saying that I would now have to have all 3 daisy chained starting with the DVD, then the recorder, then SKY to the TV?

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes - put the new recorder "in-between" the Sky box and the TV in your chain. The only thing is, most Sky boxes only have one RGB SCART? So I suspect even in your current configuration you aren't getting RGB from your DVD player? If your Sky box can pass through RGB, then you're fine.

Mark

16. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I am using a scart switcher from ARGOS that has all connections as RGB enabled but I am a bit confused now as to how I am going to connect all this.

Once I have ordered the Tosh if I get confused I'll come back for some more advice.

Thanks for your help.

17. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Ok - if you have a SCART switch that opens up other options. But as most likely you will want to be able to record RGB from Sky, whatever setup you already have, the most simple thing is to add the recorder in the chain inbetween Sky and the TV. That way you can record RGB from Sky, and use the RGB pass through to pass through Sky (and anything else up the chain connected to the Sky box) to the TV.

Mark

18. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thats how I've got it. Pioneer DVD-RGB-Panasonic SKY-RGB-Toshiba DVD Recorder-RGB-Toshiba TV.
    This way you can record from DVD/SKY to Hard disk while watching a dvd on the Toshiba! :beer: