1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS34 just bought it, excellent! Just one question, where is the EPG?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Optic Questor, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Optic Questor

Optic Questor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Thanks to the great advice on this forum, I went and bought the Tosh 34 (for under 300 pounds!) to replace my KISS.

There is hardly any fan noise on the new one's that I can tell, you can only hear it when everything else is off - My dell pc is much louder!

Just one question, I thought that there would be an on screen EPG on the tosh so I would not have to set recordings manually, is this the case or am I missing it somewhere on the button rich remote?

Thanks,

Optic

2. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is no EPG on the XS34. The options are manual or Videoplus.

3. Optic Questor

Optic Questor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So that's why I couldn't find it then!

I think it may have the option in the U.S. and I just assumed it would have it here in the UK.

Newbie question - I am now trying to copy onto DVD-R (TDK) home movies from my PC, when I insert the disk into the Tosh it can't read it, what am I doing wrong?

Thank for the advice,

Optic

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    1 might need formatting

2 disc may need cleaning

3 not a compatible disc

I have found that my RiDisc -R sometimes will only be useable if I give them a bit of a clean. Surprising given that they are brand new. Many DVD recorders appear to be quite 'picky' about media. My old philips used to be pants for this.

5. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you record your PC movies in DVD-Video standard? Toshiba can play DVD-Video discs only, not DivX or something like that.

ArtS :cool:

6. Optic Questor

Optic Questor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My home movies are in MPEG format, I actually think that it may be something I am doing wrong with the record process.

I can read the copied disk on both DVD drives on the pc but not on the Tosh
    I finalise the DVD-R before trying it on the Tosh.

My next move would be to use another brand and also get DVD -RW instead.

Thanks for the advice!

Optic

7. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (If you diddn't) you should use DVD authoring program to make AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders structure. In VIDEO_TS folder you shoud obtain some files like that:
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    etc...
    If you obtain those files you can record them using for instance Nero Express (choose DVD Folder from startup menu). You can also record them using DVD authoring program if you like or if you can.

Which DVD authoring program?
    for instance:
    - Nero Vision Express
    - TMPG DVD Author (TDA) (I dont remember excact name)
    - Adobe Encore DVD
    - Ulead DVD Movie Factory
    Each of above provide DVD authoring and recording features.

ArtS :smashin:

8. spannersuk

spannersuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick question re Tosh XS34 and EPG. If you use the videoplus option does the name of the program get inserted automatically when the program is being recorded (from teletext etc ….) or do you have to manually insert the program name?

9. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I find that the Tosh can be a bit fussy about which software you use to author your DVD's.
    I have no problems with playback when I use Sony Vegas/Pinnacle/Ulead software to author. However I use Proshow Gold to make DVD's of still images and the results do not play correctly on the Tosh. The menus are formatted wrongly and half the text is missing. I used to have this problem with an old Toshiba DVD player as well.
    The Proshow DVD's play perfectly in the Pioneer & Samsung DVD players I own, so it must be some incompatibility with Toshiba machines and Proshow.