1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD XS34 High Speed Dubbing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RosemaryP, Aug 9, 2005.

1. RosemaryP

RosemaryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Toshiba RD-XS34 for a couple of months now and it seemed to work fine. But suddenly it will not high speed dub to DVD-R. It starts doing it ok then it stops with a message "cannot read from HDD" and flashing Error 16 in the display. I have wasted I dont know how many disks, Datarite, Verbatim, and Budget. The disks are still blank but with say only an hour left to use.

For example I have 5 episodes of Dr Who to download and my granddaughter asked for a copy too. I had three tries then gave up with the DVD-R and tried a panasonic ram disc. It worked ok but after downloading two (45 minutes each). I tried a third but then it came up with a message that I could not put anything more on the disk. The time remaining said there was 1hour 16 minutes left on the disc at LP2.2, which they all were. Surely I should get more than two on a disk.

I have just come back from two weeks holiday and have loads I taped that I want to save on DVD-R.

I dont want to have to use expensive ram disks for things I want to keep and they would be no good for my granddaughter who only has a dvd player. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any idea what I can do.

RosemaryP

2. al4n

al4n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    error 16 means hdd access error detected
    is it possible one of your recordings has been locked for safe keeping.
    thats my uneducated guess.

3. RosemaryP

RosemaryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent locked any. I wouldnt know how. I tried to highspeed dub at least 5 different programmes and it did the same with them all. There is only me uses it as my husband never even learned how to programme the VCR so he won't touch it.

RosemaryP

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had this error happen. I switched the Tosh to standby and disconnected from the mains. When I reconnected everything was fine.

5. RosemaryP

RosemaryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will try that Alan and hope it works.

RosemaryP

6. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this problem with high-speed copying. Tosh said it was the type of disk I was using DVD-RW unbranded form ASDA. I tryed with a Tosh RAM disc all OK so i Formatted the original disc and it copied OK i also burned the same recording to an unbranded -R disc and again all OK... I an not convinced it was a disc problem think maybe a HD reading problem at high speed?
    It has only happened once but i don't do a lot of copying to disk.

Tosh also said if the recordings had been on the HD for some time it can be a problem.. some straw grasping i think!

I like the XS34 editing but it is far to noisy with the fan and the quality of recordings over 2Hr 20Min is rubbish

Wish i had gone for a Panasonic!!!