Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba Rd-xs34 Finalize Option Setting

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CYMRAES, Aug 22, 2005.

1. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In the finalizing process, there is an option to create menu : title+chapter, title, chapter or none - where you highlight the one you want.

What I can't figure out is, how you can opt for 'Chapter only - this is never available - it can't be highlighted!

When I opt for 'title+chapter', the finalised dvd opens with menu of titles - which are all named the same(if from same playlist) with the thumbnails of chapters.
    I do select a chapter menu also, but this does not show at the opening of the dvd. I want the menu to show the chapters and their titles on first show.

Does anyone know how? I have tried editing the title, but as you know, this is shown on all the thumbnails!' I have gone through the manual, and been searching the forum, but no luck. I have been trying different things on a dvd-rw, rather than wasting dvd-r's!

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use chapters only frequently. The key thing is that you need to have chapters within the title. If I record a film, I usually go through it and 'chapter divide' at about ten locations. There is never a problem with selecting chapters only for the menu.

3. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I do have chapters within the title - I have gone through playlist editing, and created chapters (chapter dividing) within the playlist - including naming chapter titles throughout. I have gone to content menu and created thumbnails, and checked and named the title information/chapter there also.

At this point everything looks in order, but after dubbing, when I go to finalizing process to menu create, the 'chapter' option isn't available to me! All I get on the menu when opened is all chapters with the title next to it!

I am obviously missing something aren't I! I am very grateful for your input.

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK, let's have another go. This is the way I do it:
    * I record the programme to the HD.
    * I create a playlist on the HD and edit it to the point where it is the way I want it to be on the DVD.
    * I Select Edit
    * I choose Dub selected items and complete that process
    * I select DVD
    * I select Edit
    * I select DVD-Video finalising
    * At this point I choose Chapters Only on the menus option.

That works for me.

The only other thing I would say is that the Toshiba's processor does seem to get confused sometimes. When I first had the Tosh it would not display any images in the DVD menus. It has also on two separate occaisions presented consistent HD reading errors. Both of these problems were solved by going into standby, unplugging for a couple of minutes, and then powering back up.

5. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes Alan, this is what I do, except at finalising the chapters only menu option is faded out and not available to me! Everything else is fine, hence having to opt for titles/chapters, leaving me with the opening menu with thumbnails having title name on each one!

One thing I tried was deleting title name completely, but then I have menu with thumbnails with no name next to them, just the date and time!

I am going to try again, but I am not going to hold my breath - I always put it on standby over night, I shall go and unplug it for a few minutes before my next attempt and see what happens. Thanks for your help and patience.

6. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :( I have just tried it AGAIN, with no luck - same thing happened - no 'Chapters Only' option available to me.

I am at a loss, gone through the manual everyday to see if I could find anything that could be wrong.

I have thought of loading a finalised dvd on to my computer to edit in a software programe, but I can't load it into any programme - message comes up 'bad format' as it is in 'VIDEO_TS' and not mpeg. I believe I need to download a TMPGEnc, to change the format, but I haven't looked into that yet.

I would just like to sort the problem I have with the Chapter menu on the tosh at the moment!

7. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :clap:

Thought I should let you know where the problem lay - who knows, someone else may want to know!

As I was 'dubbing selected items' - I was selecting some chapters from more than one playlist. When you do this, you do not have an option of 'chapter only' in the finalising menu option.

If you want a few items from different playlists, you need to create another playlist with the chosen chapters - then dub selected items (selecting the one playlist).

This is the only way you can use the 'chapter' only option in finalising menu. This is very handy when you have e.g. a lot of recorded family playlists/chapters, and want to create a selection on dvd - you can then have menu with titles of different chapters showing at start.

I do hope this will make sense - I am so pleased I cracked it, although, it may have been clear to others!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Alan for your help - I believe you have helped me before, with other issues. Much appreciated.

8. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Glad to hear it and well done.