1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS34 fan noise?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnhibbert21, Jun 7, 2005.

1. johnhibbert21

johnhibbert21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Toshiba RD-XS34, and I am pleased with it except for one thing!! The fan noise!!!!. It is not really that loud, but it is distracting when watching a DVD at a quiet section. Short of enclosing it, can anything be done? What would happen if the fan was disconnected? Would it do any damage apart from the guarantee? Perhaps I am being too fussy? Do all recorders with hard drive have fans and are they noisy? Any help please.

2. GARYFORUMS

GARYFORUMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it must be there to help cool the h.d. - if it was a pc i'd open the lid
    and change the fan

i'm sure it can be done

3. britskin

britskin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said in another thread, I got one last week and have the same problem, Toshiba said they don't know of a problem with xs34 fans so there must be a fault with my machine, the're picking it up tomorrow so I'll see what they say. I'm hoping they don't come back with 'it's operating within specified paramaters(sp)' My other thought was to build a box round it with enough space for air flow, but after spending £300 you shouldn't have to do something like that IMO.

4. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Is the fan noise louder or quieter than the fan on an X-Box?

I'm trying to choose between the RDXS34 & a Panasonic EH50, I'd probably go for the Toshiba, but Fan noise is a crucial issue as sound travels rather well around my lounge!

5. soop

soop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its much quieter than the xbox fan, but still quite noisy. it's definetly a bit louder than the RDXS32 cos of its slim profile.

6. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I doubt it is a dodgy machine. My fan is annoying too. It isn't that it is terribly loud, just that it is on and noticeable all the time. If I had it enclosed it might be different, but it is on top of my telly about 4 feet away so cannot be ignored.

7. MrOctopusFace

MrOctopusFace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was reallly worried that the fan noise would annoy me. It doesn't. Yes I can hear it but it certainly isn't loud enough to notice if the TV is on, and I consider myself extremely picky with things like this. The fan shouldn't sound as if it is struggling and shouldn't be a high pitch. It is about as loud as a case fan that you would find on the side of a PC. (Not the processor)

8. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    My fan doesn't struggle and isn't high-pitched but i'd still like to make it quieter. Anyone have any ideas, or maybe managed to get Toshiba to do something?

9. britskin

britskin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little update, I phoned Toshiba yesterday to see if they have had a look at the xs34 yet and the customer service guy rang the tech department and they told him they were waiting for a part to arrive and I should get it back next week. Could this part be a new quieter fan? I'll let you know.

Also, I was talking to my father in law about this and he said that when he got his new PC it had a very loud fan and he complained, the shop said yes some people find the fan in that particular PC loud, and they swapped the fan for a quiet one. Apparently the company that makes the PC used a very cheap fan to keep costs down, and it is cheaper to replace a few fans when people complain than use good ones from the start!

Makes you wonder if the xs34 comes back nice and quiet...

10. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Keep us posted Britskin. I've just phoned customer services to ask what can be done and was essentially told "nothing". They did suggest that the machine is not placed on anything that is likely to "amplify" the noise, but other than that... diddly.

I hinted to them I may return the machine and swap it for the Sony 510. They replied that all hdd machines suffer from fan noise!

So, looks like I'm stuck. No fix, unless yours leads to something, and I doubt the company I bought it from will take it back. A shame, as the fan noise is the only slightly bothersome thing about the machine imo.

11. lfgj

lfgj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an interesting point, and would seem to make some sense. I wonder how easy it would be to replace the fan for a quieter one? - surely they are a standard size? (of course you'd have to consider the warranty issues though!)

12. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I’ve had a Toshiba RDXS34 for just under 2 months, and from when I first switched it on, I was a bit concerned about the fan noise. Since the fan is for the processor, there is a constant “whirring” noise all the time that the recorder is on. When there's any continuous soundtrack or music at a reasonable volume, I cannot hear the noise, but during any quiet passages or breaks in dialogue, the noise is certainly audible from the other side of the room (even outside the room!), and it's certainly louder than the old VCR when that was playing. Obviously I realise "noise" is a very subjective thing, and I do have very sensitive hearing!

When I phoned Toshiba, they said they had no record of anyone else having problems with fan noise. (!!)

Hughes Electrical Direct ordered a new replacement fan for me, and came out to fit it. After the engineer fitted it, he tried it with the recorder casing’s lid off, and it was absolutely silent! Put the case back on, and it’s exactly the same as the original fan. So it’s not the fans themselves – all the noise is coming from air movement through the ventilation holes in the back of the casing! (Unless anyone’s got a high pitched whining or rubbing, in which case your fan’s gone as well!) So that’s presumably a bit of a design problem when they changed the box from the 32 to the 34… (Perhaps the same person designed the box who designed the remote control and wrote the manual!!!)

Obviously, it wouldn’t be too wise to use it with the lid off, as it wouldn’t be under warranty, it would get dust (and coffee!) in it, and anyway the ventilation holes are supposed to channel the air flow properly.

I’ve decided to live with it, and manage to ignore it most of the time! It’s just a shame that these annoying “quirks” (including the ½-second pause at every edit splice point – which other people have complained about) take the edge off what would otherwise be a brilliant machine…

13. lfgj

lfgj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you expand on this Felix?

14. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    When I want to edit a recording on the hard disk to put onto DVD (e.g. removing ad breaks), I whizz through the original programme and add chapter breaks. Then I create a "playlist" on the hard disk (or dub straight to DVD) of the chapters I want to keep - in effect deleting the bits I don't want. But on the playlist or copy, the end of one chapter always pauses momentarily (about 1/2 second) before the next chapter begins. So you don't get a seamless edit point as you would on a computer (or as I do for audio on minidisc). If you put chapter breaks at fade-to-black parts of the programme (e.g. start of ad breaks), you don't notice it at all. Even when you do notice it, it's not really a huge deal, I suppose! I saw it's been discussed before on previous threads:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-210465.html and
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-209462.html

but I don't know if they ever resolved it? Also don't know if it's just the same on all other models?

15. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    It isn't half a second on my machine. Not instant, but not half a second.

Also, I think there is some way to add fade to black (I seem to remember seeing it, but I could be wrong)

16. britskin

britskin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, got the xs34 back from toshiba with its new fan installed and...it's exactly the same! :(

So I guess felix was right about the casing being the problem and not the fan.
    I really don't know what to do now, PRC Direct, where I got it from, are now saying that as it has been 'repaired' they cannot take it back to sell 'as new' and that there will be a charge on top of their normal 15% restocking fee!

I think I'll have to see if there is a way to fit a glass door to the front of the cabinet.

17. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Britskin, I guess the only other thing you can do is modify the case in some way that won't invalidate your warranty. (although it does sound like more vents would be an answer.) I did notice that the noise went away when the air vents were covered (not good for the machine though) Perhaps you can cup the vents in a way that air still flow, but sound towards you is dampened? Try covering them with an eggbox and see what happens :D

The fan noise hasn't bothered me at all this week. Mind you, that's probably because it has been so hot I've been using a desk fan in my room to keep cool so I can't hear it! :D In all seriousness I've grown used to it, and it isn't really an issue for me any more.

18. britskin

britskin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JimBob
    Yeah, I've thought about boxing it in with enough space around for air flow (the wife is not keen, she thinks it will look ugly, and she's probably right).

I'm hoping that it is one of those things that you get used to, I'll see how it goes the next few weeks.

Cheers!

19. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having been subjected to a fan noise from an adjacent PC for months at work, I was still hearing the noise having got home ! Tinnitus then set in. Beware exposure to constant steady fan noise, it can do this, setting the scilli in a regular motion that the brain sort of repeats parrot fashion well after exposure ceases so it seems.

How is the fan noise on the Panny EH50 by comparison, any thoughts of Toshiba are now gone, now that I read of xs34 fan noise.

Had new pc built using quiet fans available on the net, controlled by a heat sensor within the unit, no point in having it running full whack when room cool. You might try one of these and cut away any grills that can influence noise, if noise more vital than warranty ! On your head be it as they say but manufacturers should take heed of fan noise, a cheap fan and lack of thought on case design can spoil PC usage, Dell took a new route a while ago and office PC's were dead silent compared to the previous racket yet were more powerful so it can be done...and it was a good selling point.
    Merlin

20. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to keep things in perspective let's be clear that there is no comparison between the noise emanating from an xs34 and a standard desktop PC. If the xs34 produced even one quarter of the racket my PC knocks out it would have been returned immediately. If I sit in silence, shoo everyone out of the room, cock my ear and concentrate, yes, I can hear air movement. It's on a par with the aircon in my office building and highly unlikely to cause tinnitus.

By coincidence one of my former clients had severe tinnitus and was advised to have a loud fan on in the bedroom to mask the tinnitus and aid her sleep. Apparently worked a treat, but IME the xs34 wouldn't have come close to doing the job. ;)

21. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, the grills on these things are a tad on the restrictive side - the tiny holes just aren't big enough for air to escape without making a whooshing noise (its the same prob that peeps get with their pc cases). Toshiba really should punch the hole out and add a standard wire fan grill :)
    However, with my tv at a reasonably low, audible volume, it's practically impossible to hear the Tosh running over the top.