Toshiba RD-XS34 DVD drive failure - replacement part?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jezzah, May 8, 2007.

1. jezzah

jezzah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It looks like my Toshiba RD-XS34 hard drive recorder is suffering from DVD drive failure. If you put any disc in the tray you get the "loading" message continually until an error box is eventually displayed.

Has anyone else seen this and confirm it is this part that has failed?

The unit is out of warranty. If I can get the part how easy it is to replace (I'm usually reasonably good with electrical stuff).

Can anyone tell me the part that I need (and even better where I could get one at reasonable cost?)

Thank you.

2. JohnC

JohnC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    DVD Drive failer is common with this recorder.... the like for like replacement is over £300.00 would you believe....!!??

However you can replace it with other drives normaly used in PC's such as an LG GSA 4167b or LG GSA 4163b and more recent versions of these two models... the prices vary from around £25 to £50..... theres no guarentee you will get full functionality though... like it will not play CD's.

Theres more info here>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=490616
    and here>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=653912

3. Lightman51

Lightman51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you try cleaning with a disk first to make sure the laser has not got dirty

4. bossnas

bossnas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD burner in my XS34 is making loud grinding noises every time I insert any disc, blank or previously recorded on the unit and I get the message telling me to check the disc. This is really annoying as I've burnt less than 10 discs on the unit despite having it for 2.5 years. The HDD is fine and is what I use most.

Has anyone had any luck with replacing the DVD burner with an LG model? If yes, please post your results.

I've been trying to get RGB Direct to help with the repair but so far they've been fobbing me off with going to Toshiba. I tried that and Toshiba said go back to the people that took your money but the kind lady at Toshiba did say that they would try to help with free parts if RGB Direct agree to handle the repair. I'm waiting on a reply from RGB Direct.

Thanks
    N

5. OldOneTwo

OldOneTwo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the same problem as described above. I tried to replace the DVD drive with no success. So I bit the bullet and cracked it open, I found that the rails and guides for the laser head were clogged. I cleaned them with alcohol running the head back and forth manually. Then with a swap very lightly oiled with silicone oil, I swabbed the rails running he head back and forth. Then with a dry swab I wiped the rails. When putting the unit back together remember to lock the cartridge opener in the cocked position and release it thru the pinhole in the cover after the cover is on. I have had to do this about every 7-8 months with heavy usage. The first indication is the finalization will blow off or a prerecorded disk will not be recognized. The reason being the head is binding on the rails while it's jumping back and forth doing it's routine.

6. JohnC

JohnC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well this is a real eye opener for me... all previous indicators on all forums were that its an electronics failer....
    I shall certainly be trying this on mine and will be giving you a big thank you if it works ok

Best Regards John