Toshiba RD-XS34 - advice needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mobily, Nov 4, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey all,

I have had a good old rummage through the various threads on this model but still have a few questions outstanding if that's ok :thumbsup:

1) Is it possible to record something to the HDD whilst watching a dvd and record something to the HDD whilst watching something from the HDD?

2) Will the machine allow RGB through whilst in standby using a Telewest box?

3) Will I be able to use the Toshiba remote to operate the Telewest box?

4) When I turn the Toshiba on will the Television automatically turn to it? At the moment when I turn on my dvd player connected to the component socket I have to manually select that channel, but when I turn the VCR and Freeview box on the TV automatically changes channel.

5) Would the connections be as follows?

Telewest RGB > Toshiba RGB input > Toshiba RGB output > TV
    Aerial wall > Toshiba > VCR > TV
    VCR Scart > TV Scart
    Toshiba Optical output > AV amp

6) When recording something using Videoplus is the file given a suitable name on the HDD e.g. friendsep1? Or would I have to manually enter a name?

7) What is Videoplus deluxe?

What is the benefit of using the Toshiba remote to operate the Telewest box? At the moment I have a VCR, a DVD player and a Freeview box. If I want to record something from Freeview onto VCR I turn on Freeview and the VCR and then select the channel I want using the Freeview remote. Could I operate the Freeview box with the VCRs remote?

2. pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Yes. And Yes.

2) Yes. Although you have to press the button labeled "SatMon" for this to work.

3) Yes, although I can't tell you for sure if the toshiba has the telewest box infrared signals in it's memory. Also it will be limited to just changing channels. I'd REALLY recommend you getting a Harmony Remote ( 665 for example) to combine all your remotes....much better.

4) If your TV is able to sense which input has just come alive (and you MUST have connected the Tosh to the TV with Scart) yes it will. From what you have written about your current setup it's almost certain that it will. Component cables don't carry the switching signal.

5)

Telewest RGB > Toshiba RGB input > Toshiba RGB output > TV
    Aerial wall > Toshiba (Toshiba RF output) > VCR
    VCR Scart > TV Scart
    Toshiba Optical output > AV amp

Why do you need the VCR now? It's the headache in all of that.

6) Never used Videoplus, but all titles that I've recorded only have timestamp by default, but you can manually add names yourself. Much easier if you set up a recurring recording, as you can then add the name once and it will always be added.

7) Pass.

3. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Video plus deluxe is the ability to control (via ir extender) your telewest / sky box.

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    How do you set up a recurring timer recording? I know I did this before but I couldn't last night. I used record menu, selected input, time etc. On date, I could select the date/day but couldn't figure out how to make it "every monday".

5. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When you highlight the date in the record menu press the down arrow on the centre control, it will scroll through the different options.