Toshiba rd-xs32sb horror story

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kerfuffle, Feb 8, 2005.

1. kerfuffle

kerfuffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm the proud owner of an XS32 which I've loved like a member of the family since I bought it a little over 6 months ago.
    This morning, its hard disc failed to start up properly, the contents thumbnails were all blank. Then it froze, it wouldn't respond to the remote, the buttons on the unit, or the off switch.

At this point I did a possibly very foolish thing - I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in again.

Now the hard drive won't load at all. Disc management tells me that the disc is empty, attempts to record to it tell me that the recording can't take place because there's insufficient room. I decided to bite the bullet and delete all of the unwatched TV on the disc, then the real seriousness of the situation struck me, it won't even let me format the disc. The format screen pops up, but before formatting even starts I get a message saying "This DVD(sic) cannot be formatted".

Now it's possible that the HDD had become fragmented, it was at between 90-100% capacity for a couple of months, but over the past couple of weeks I've been gradually emptying it and as it stood today it was about 55% full.

Can anyone help? Is there a boot disc or some sort of scandisc utility I could use to authenticate the HDD? Is there an engineers menu I could access to force it to format? Or am I stuck with an expensive noisey dvd recorder?

Any ideas would be hugely appreiated I'm tearing what's left of my hair out here.

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are not stuck with anything, sir - i suggest you at least consider utilising your warranty before you consider all sorts of crazy DIY methodology.... that's what it's there for after all.
    Any attempt by yourself to run diagnostics/engineer's tricks/whatever, will simply send that prized warranty where the sun don't shine....

Saying that tho, you could always give it the proven 'sharp tap on the head' method if you haven't already ;)

anyone got any better advice?

3. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    No better advice from me, I'm afraid. Call them up - use your warranty. And, just to let you know, I would have tried unplugging it too.

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yea use the warranty. I assume its defenitly set to hard drive when you try to do this. And I asume you are using the HDD-Format in the Management settings and not the DVD-Format under disk management ?

5. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Toshiba fail and the customer service is second to none. Use the number that comes on the card with the manual, about setup problems etc. They identify the problem, and then send a courier to collect the machine (usually the next day and with a packing box if you need one), fix it and then courier it back. Very fast service and it doesn't cost you a penny. The only drawback is that they don't offer a swap-out, or temporary machine with the high end machines like they do with cheaper dvds and video.

6. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Burried somewhere in the manual there is a reset procedure allthough it is too late now.

Might be handy to remember in case

Press and hold the power on button (on the machine) for about 5 sec if the machine locks up.

It also states the usual about you may lose recordings etc...

Could be in the installation/ setup guide???

I have done it once and everything was OK, I guess if you do it while recording you may have problems.