Toshiba RD-XS32SB - Help required!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chumley, Sep 16, 2004.

1. chumley

chumley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to some really useful info on this forum I took the plunge and bought the Tosh, which I received last week. However, I am experiencing some frustrating problems and am on the point of giving up and returning the unit - can anyone help please?
    Equipment: Tosh XS32SB, Panasonic TV & VCR.

Problem 1: I want to connect the VCR to the DVDR and record from VCR to DVD. Using a SCART lead, I connected the VCR into the AV2 port on the back of the Tosh. Setting the INPUT on the DVD to AV2 (as it says in the manual), I get sound on the TV OK but no picture - just a blue screen. I tried the AV1 port also but got the same result. Is there a problem with the DVD or am I doing something wrong?

Problem 2: Whilst watching programs (i.e. direct TV or recorded program on HDD) through the DVDR (using SCART in AV1) I get severe 'ghosting' over the picture. I have worked out that is the ITV channel. There is nothing I can do to get rid of this ghosting. It is always ITV, even if the DVDR is set to other channels. By way of experiment, I have tried my VCR connected to the TV in the same port, with the same SCART lead and there is no ghosting whatsoever. Any suggestions please?

Problem 3: a smaller problem this; I cannot seem to connect the DVDR with just RF cables. When I try to tune the TV to the DVDR I can't find it anywhere across the channel range. I will probably end up using SCART leads anyway, but it would be nice to know why it won't connect with RF only?

Any help would be much appreciated - before I go completely mad!

2. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Not sure I can help you with all the questions but I suspect the blank screen is because you have AV2 input onthe Tosh set to RGB rather than video.

I am also getting a little ghosting as well. There is a thread below covering this and some possible things to look at.

Stick with this machine as for the money IMHO it's the best value for money and the one I ended up with after trying a Panasonic E55 and E85 first.

Regards

Jerry

3. chumley

chumley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jerry! I think the AV2 input IS set to Video (isn't this the default Initial seeting?) but will check tonight.
    Which thread is it below (or am I just being blind)?

Thanks again,

Dave

4. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  5. bixfoo

bixfoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too couldn't get any joy using the RF connection. Anybody work out how to fix this?

Bixfoo

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You'll have to tune the DVD tuner to receive the VCR's RF output channel (often 36). but auto tuning the DVD should find it.

7. chumley

chumley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yet another problem (is it me?)
    Recorded Indiana Jones last night to HDD and started to watch it tonight. The sountrack is all over the place - the music very loud and the dialogue barely audible. Investigating further, if I switch between straight TV broadcast and DVR (using AV button) the TV sound is far superior i.e clearer dialogue and generally louder. Tried reading the manual but got totally confused with the audio stuff.
    Can anyone suggest why the DVR sounds so bad - thanks.