Toshiba RD-XS32

nunew33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
Just about to order one of these. 2 week wait on unbeatable for £415.

Progressive, RGB in (just checked with Toshiba help desk).

RAM RW R HDD.

What more can a person want? Is this the one.

O well, no one stopped me so its on order.

Hello nunew,

I saw earlier that you were also thinking about the JVC DR-MH30? Can you please explain me why you have chosen for this one instead of the JVC? Is it the brand that you don't like or is it the RGB in that you were talking about?

I live in Holland and we don't have digital cable here, so i guess RGB isn't a problem for me. I am thinking about the JVC recorder, maybe you can change my mind? I really don't know what too look for.

Thanks allready,

René

It came down to cost and availability. The JVC is advertised as awaiting release where as the tosh is available in 2 weeks.

The JVC has a larger Hard disk and can use RW disks in the same way as RAM disks. The cost is likely to be £100 more. At the moment I use 2 VHS tapes ie 6 hours recording so having >80 G is academic rather than essential. Having RAM type recording on RW disks? Whilst RW disks are cheaper I have a few RAM disks already and dont anticipate needing many more. In fact with the HDD I cant see many reasons why Id use the RAM or RW for recording direct. So paying £100 for these extra features in my situation is irrelevent.

Problem is information on both of these is sparse so I am taking a risk. All I kknow is that they both have all the features I need and the toshiba is cheapest and available first.

My requirements are:
Needs to have componant out and progressive (for projector)
Needs to have RGB in for Sky, the Svideo image is really poor)
Needs to have DV in for camcorder
Needs to be <£500

Thanks for your reply. I am still waiting on reviews for some HDD recorders because I don't want to take a risk with it.
I don't need RGB in because I don't have satellite but maybe I will in the future.

The Tosh isn't available in Holland and the JVC is available in one week. The other two brands that are available are Sharp and Panasonic. Sharp is a brand that I don't get too good feelings about and I read about the Panasonic about the lousy tuner and some noise problems.

Because I allready have a JVC home cinema I thought the JVC would be a good choice for me. Do you think also, or do you think there is a reasion I shouldn't do that?

Regards,

René

I dont know enough about either.

All I know is bith RDXS30 and JVC DMR10 both have favorable reviews and therefore if the new tosh and new jvc are improvements then you cant go to wrong (famous last words).

Someone has to be the first to buy and for the tosh Im a willing victim. I will pass on my views as and when it is delivered

Hello nunew,

Well I am the one who will take a risk for the JVC, I just ordered the JVC DR-MH30 in a webshop in Holland. They expect to deliver in one week so let's hope there quick with the delivery.

When I have the player I will make a review. Thanks for your comments.

Hi,

Just wanted to add that I have a Toshiba RDXS-30 since June 2003 and I love it to bits. Learning curve was a bit steep, but not I know how to use it I find it very very easy.

The only down side is that it only has 60GIG HDD.

What I like about this recorder is that you can change the bit rate it records at. After playing with it for a very long time I record at 2.6 bits per second, at 2.5 bits the quality
Is not sharp enough for me but when I set to 2.6 it suddenly becomes a lot better. I have analogue cable television with a 100Mhz wide screen TV. I find the way to set it is to
Use the time slip function. Sit close to the TV and start to watch it, then hit the time slip function after a few second the live TV will pause, press play on the remote and you will be watching the RDXS32 recording. You can then compare the picture and sound before you hit time slip and after you hit time slip, if you understand what I mean. Thus for me 2.6 bits per second, the picture and sound was identical before and after hitting time slip.

I find with other HDD recorders you do not have to option to change to 2.6
You can have 2.5 then the next level of recording rate is 5.0 bits per second. Recording at 2.6 bits per second on a 60 GIG HDD gives me just over 41 hours.

Will Toshiba release the RDXS-35 then next one up from the RDXS-32. The RDXS-35
Is identical but has 160GIG HDD twice the HDD storage. If the RDXS-35 was to be released I would buy it straight away without a second thought. That would give me 109 hours to storage a LOT better then my current 41 hours. On 80 GIG at 2.6 bits per second you will achieve 54 hours.

Please post your review when you get it

Quinn.

Thanks quinn.

The Tosh XS 32 seems to match the JVC DRMH20 and the 35 matches the DRMH30. So I suppose if the DRMH30 sells then Toshiba will be foolish not to release the 35 over here

Just looked on the US forum and they seem to rate the Tosh well except for a black level issue which may entail lowering/raising contrast etc.
Something odd, Unbeatable have removed it from the dvd recorder page? Has the date been revised on this...

Yes I see, they've moved it from the vanilla dvd recorders list which it was on yesterday, but then the JVC with HDD is still there:confused: Trying to panic us obviously.

Just read avsforum entries and feel a lot less worried about being one of the first on here to order one

It's a risky time to buy either drives or standalones at the mo insofar as dual layer units are on the horizon and an indicator of further recent price drops. But if a single layer will do no worries.
The biggest battle will obviously be Blu-ray and dual current dvds but it's the old question of how long to wait. So dual should be the bigger consideration in the sooner than later.

Well, this is it. I dont video that much so dont need a monster hard disk. Im happy with DVD quality and am not a videophile
\i can see that dual layer and blue ray will be more than i wont. The only risk is if the man in the street wants it and it becomes mainstream, but usually the man in the street goes for cheap and adequate rather than costly and perfect.

All i want is to get rid of vhs littering the lving room and having a digital back up of camcorder tapes.

It also needs to look good on a projector and teh toshiba or the JVC fits the bill. Tosh gets it for being out first.

if this is defo RGB in then im getting one :) id have bought the panasonic but the NO dvd rw factor killed it for me.

well the uk technical support confirmed it was.

Tosh seems the best all round performer and bang for the buck.

Encaser,
sounds like youve been reading avsforum

JVC have 2 weeks to make me cancel my order with unbeatable. And the only way they will do that is being less than £20 more for the DRMH20 and available first

Yes I have been on avsforum:smashin: I go on there periodically to see what's new and/or of interest. In fact I started looking there before taking the plunge on a plasma; as the US usually score first and have plenty of willing forum users willing to share knowledge/experience.
If you're getting unsure/impatient about the Tosh to that of the JVC, perhaps you need to get the pen and paper out once more and score out the pros and cons. Your only talking about £30 difference afterall for an investment that'll sit there for a few years.

after seeing the quality of the jvc svhs player (see my thread over at vcr forum) i doubt i will be buying anything by jvc at all.the tosh is the one for me :) i would have gone for the panahs2 but no dvdrw compatabillity is a no no in my book.

I was within a nat's of ordering a Panny E85, when I saw the chat here about the Tosh XS32.
Now I'm totally confused!
Can anyone offer any good reason why the panny would still be the better buy [ignoring the price difference!]
I always fancied the Tosh XS30 bar the lack of RGB and 60 GB being a bit small - then the E85 surfaced, and now the XS32.
Come on, someone give me a good reason to buy the Panny.

To date the JVC seems only to have the ability to record like DVD RAM on an RW and i think the menu pics are animated but cant be sure, both things i can live without.

Its a shame that they dont pulish the manuals or at least show Gui screen shots so you can work out which will be the easist to use

taken from the final page of the avsforum review of the player.

"I agree completely. I just returned the Tosh because of the black level problem. I have a pioneer 510 and an E80 recorder. I also have a Sony DVP-NS425P, a Toshiba 3109, a Sony Playstation and a PC that are used in my household for viewing. Whenever I record on the 510 and the E80 the discs play as expected across the board. The Tosh played back bright and washed out on every player we have with the exception of the PC. The output was very close in comparison when watching from the PC. I feel that using the PC as a tool for comparing the output does not accurately reflect the severity of the problem. The playback on the PlayStation was painful to watch. These were of course just my results, you mileage may vary. I for one hope this issue gets resolved as I hated returning the Tosh. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if anyone comes up with an answer."

:censored: thats the tosh out the window then,why the bloody hell is it so hard just to get it right,surely tosh have tested this for exactly this feature ?? they cant expect you to record on this player and then ONLY use the disc on THAT player:mad: oh well that review just saved me 500 quid an a lot of hassle :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom