1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS32 - what DVD media works?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redland_doug, Jun 24, 2005.

1. redland_doug

redland_doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have tried without any success to master a DVD on this box. Following advice I found on threads from this site, I upgraded the firmare (from 1414 to 1416).

It now at least recognises one of my brands, and even attempts to write to it (which is progress!!). It won't have anything to do with the Maxell DVD-R disks I have (1x - 8x speed). it at least now recognises the TDK 4x DVD-RWs (an improvement from 1414), and attempts to use. Following a burning session though it then tells me that it doesn't recognise the disk in the drive (it just burned the **~~""??!?! thing). None of my other DVD players recognise the results either - its a beer mat!

Can anyone assure me that a given brand DOES actually work with this box? I've ordered a random selection of media, which I am expecting any day, but all advice is appreciated. You can't seem to get 1x or 2x blank disks anymore.

It has no trouble using the Panasonic DVD-RAM disks that came with it, but that don't help much!

Cheers,

Doug.

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had great success with Ritek discs on my XS32, ditto the Taiyo Yuden that i'm using at the moment - avoid discs using CMC dyes tho (rotten cheap crap).

svp.co.uk should be able to sort you out....

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    lol it really is a glorified toaster isnt it Pal :rotfl: :mad:

4. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you just bring it back, tell them it doesn't work and get something else?

Otherwise you run the very real risk of unsuccesfully trying every disc under the sun, ending up bitter and twisted, popping up on every semi-related thread ranting pointlessly and tediously about it. ;)

Bit of perspective, it's not a house, a car or a pacemaker, it's a fairly inexpensive and already superceded box of consumer electronics.

5. redland_doug

redland_doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I've got some Riteks on order, so we'll see! I did manage to get one of the TDK -RWs to play on my Hitachi DVD player, which to cis a cheap & nasty bit of kit in itself, and is normally VERY picky. But it plays it fine. Weird or what?

I'm not ready to send back just yet (got it from RGB-direct), since I'm fairly sure its just a question of finding the right media. In all other respects I'm very pleased with it (even if the mrs thinks it way too complicated to be of any use!)

Oh, and Ironduke - spit out the wasp mate ;) !!!

Cheers,

Doug

6. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are some bad Toshiba XS32 machines on the market. I went through two of them before giving up. Both of them rejected more than half the media I tried. I tried four different brands of media including Taiyo Yuden as recommended in the manual. Just return the machine - it's probably from the same bad batch I encountered. I collected a whole spindle of disks rejected by the Toshibas and used them without any problems on my Panasonic and Pioneer recorders.

7. rich_jtg

rich_jtg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim seem to work ok on them.

The slower -RWs like TDK and Fuji 1-2x seem ok too.

8. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Something that you may want to try out....

If you have any RW DVD-R then you could try writing to that. If this successfully works, copy the disk to some of your other media (presuming that you still have 'useless' disks that you haven't thrown away) using your PC. While this may be a long winded method, you may be able to save some of those disks!

9. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    You take it from me lad, if that recorder of yours is very young then send it back for a refund or different brand, Tosh DVD players while superbly specced.

Suck donkey balls for compatibility, I am sending mine back for a fix, fix my a*sehole, they will swap the crap drive for another

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    A couple of things...

I've found with DVD-RW, it always gives that message at the end, right after finalising the disc, that the disc is unreadable. If you eject the disk and put it back in, it will play it fine (at least it does on mine). I also play my -RW discs on another player fine. For -RW, I use TDK scratchless 1-2x. With the 1416 upgrade it is supposed to handle -4X -RW discs (though only write at 2X), I haven't tried this yet.

For -RW, I use Verbatim pastel coloured discs (Taiyo Yuden), never had a problem.

Mark

11. Jungle

Jungle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used Sony x4 DVD-R and have never had problem for over 50 disks now. I also used Hyndai X4 DVD-R, Data wirte x4 DVD-R (red). The XS32 can load the disk, burn it but can't recognised after burning. The disk can be played in other stand alone DVD palyer but it is a little anoying that something you write on XS32 which can't be read after that. :rolleyes:

Jungle

12. redland_doug

redland_doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. I received my 'ragbag' of different blanks in the post yesterday, and spent last night trying them out. The result - the dang box is going back to Toshiba!

I got it to recognise 1 out of 10 Ritek disk (x4 -R). It burned it OK, but then refused to have anything to do with it. It plays OK on other players!!

Refused to have anything to do with a top notch TDK 1-2x scratch proof -RW. This is one of the ones that Toshiba recommend (if you phone em up!).

I also got a big spindle of real cheap no-name 2x -Rs, and surprise surprise, it would not accept any of them either.

So the list of 'incompatible' media grows. Lets hope that Toshiba sort it. If they can't they must have a _really_ busy service center!

(IronDuke: looks like you were right - now I'm chewing the wasp!)

Doug.

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    If it won't have anything to do with TDK 1-2x scratch proof -RW, then something is wrong with the machine, yes send it back. I've had 100% success with these (using 1414, 1415, and 1416 firmware). Apart from the annoying message after finalising the disc, that the disc is unreadable, which you have to ignore.

Mark

14. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XS32 has been superceded by the XS34 which isn't fussy about media so I'd either get one of those or an EH60. Mark is right and to reiterate, it's a duff one and should be sent back before lest you be tempted into the tedious wasp chewing arena. ;)

15. jlh1

jlh1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Doug,

Sorry to jump on your thread, but i'm also starting to have similar problems to yourself, especially with the TDK 1-2x scratch proof -RW. I also got it from RGB Direct (Dec 04). I'm on the verge of sending mine back and was just wondering if yours is going back to Toshiba via RGB? Are they fixing or replacing? How long are you likely to be without it?
    Any chance of keeping me updated on your situation.
    Many thanks.

John.

16. DJBenz

DJBenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I tried to write a title from the HDD to a Datawrite Classic (Grey Top) on my XS34 last night and it wouldn't have it. I'm tempted to buy some Taiyo Yuden discs from SVP but they only have spindles of 100 and that's a lot of discs to be stuck with if the player doesn't like them.

17. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have to confess that I haven't tried the Grey Datawrite you mention but IME and the noticeable lack of reports in this respect, the XS34 does not appear to be fussy about media. I initially tried an SVP sample pack, Ridiscx4, Datawrite Yellow (a dodgy batch of disks notwithstanding) and they all worked perfectly. I have settled on Datawrite Titaniums which perform consistently well for myself and on two other XS34s that I know of. Clearly there's no guarantee with any recorder but at roughly £11 for 50 I would say that they're worth a shot.

18. redland_doug

redland_doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John (jlh1),

I contacted RGB, who immediately pointed me to Toshiba Service Centre. Having spoken to the chaps there yesterday (0115 976 6958), and answering the dumb questions that they insist on asking you (yes they are -R/-RW disks, NOT +R/+RW - sheesh!) they agreed that the unit was faulty. They especially picked up on the mention of TDK disks not working. The result is that I boxed up the unit (still had the original packaging luckily), and a nice man from City Express took it away today, destined for Toshiba. They said it would take a couple of weeks, so we'll see. Impressed that 24 hrs from my initial complaint the box is on its way...

I was a bit peed off that RGB couldn't wait to vector me off to Toshiba, without a hint of 'please send it back and we'll replace it'. Oh well. If Toshiba can't fix it (and I'm only going to give them 1 shot at this), then I'll take it up with RGB, and insist on a replacement machine.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress as and when any is made.

Cheers,

Doug

19. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Told yer mate dont listen to BS from certain snobs on these forums who qoute "its good that the Tosh32 doesnt work with cheap media" :rolleyes:

People should be able to walk into an ASDA and buy a pack of Disc's (I know they aint cheap but they aint Ritek or verbs) get them home and record with confidence.

They wont sort it, its just a pitty you cant rib out that POS drive and put in a PC drive

20. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I got mine around the same time RGB fob you off by giving you toshibas help number who they say will pickup and fix.

21. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been using Datawrite Classic Greys on the RS32 now for quite some time with very few problems. Having said that during the hot weather recently I had lots of problems with lots of makes of disks.

Today was cooler, I put a Philips disk in after a minute or so stopped recording (dirty disk etc.) I tried a Datasafe grey classic same thing. I tried a Maxell disk same thing. I tried to get the disk out but it kept loading...... in fact 20 minutes later it was still loading and no buttons were operable.

I turned the power supply off from the mains and turned it back on a minute later and the disk ejected.

I then put one of the previous disk back into the Tosh and everything is now Hunky Dory.3 disks later on the bounce still OK.

So if all else fails try turning off the power for a while, it worked for me. :beer:

22. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to spend too long on the web to recognize that archiving to cheap media is a false economy. You don't need to buy the most expensive disks but you really ought to avoid the kind of crap I've seen in Asda.

As for your woes with your recorder, current legislation gives the consumer a hell of a lot of clout which begs the question why you didn't just return the bloody thing and get your money back or another player instead of incessantly boring everybody to death about it? :rolleyes:

23. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    actually I seem to have helped the thread starter so watch yer boring crap, fanboy :devil:

secondly alot of cheap disks come with the Ritek G05 dye which is the most common in the world right now, my PC drives have no trouble reading crappy bulpaqs I burnt 2 years ago, The Toshiba 32 throws a fart with stuff it burnt last week, and that phrase has been echoed around these forums for months and months, yet people like you will not admitt it has a poor drive.

24. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, fanboy???, it's just your posts are largely one-track, unhelpful and tedious for it. Let's see....you've got an XS32, it doesn't work as you'd like it, you think it's a POS, toaster, doorstop, paperweight etc.... and Toshiba are scum of the earth. Over and over and over and over :rolleyes:
    Fair enough. WE...GET...IT. :smashin:
    Message received :thumbsup:
    In the name of God change the record and divert your energy into getting your money back or damages or a replacement, just anything but this incessant ranting and flipping whinging. :suicide:

I didn't catch it, why didn't you send the thing back for a refund?

I don't have an XS32 and would not admit or defend anything in this respect but FWIW the drive in your machine and indeed a few of the other machines mentioned here sound like duds which is why I specifically said get rid and get your money or an alternative. The forum is peppered with folk who've done just that with Tosh, Pannys, Sonys and Pioneers and have moved on.

25. jlh1

jlh1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Doug,

I'm just trying to salvage some stuff off the HDD (Verbatim 8x, Pastel Coloured seem to be working ok) before contacting RGB/Toshiba, i'll also keep thread updated.
    Thanks again.

John.

26. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    2 reasons up until about 3 months ago the player no matter how bad it worked with DVD-r and RAM My 3 TDK RW's never failed, and because the Toshiba doesnt make 100% fully compatible DVD disks, and I like editing, I transfered to my PC using the RW's and burnt quality DVD-R burns with my NEC or my Pioneer, now the DVDRW's dont work with it.

I have 5 hours of LFC v Milan stuck on that friggin Hardrive and 8 hours of the victory parade the next day, now whats the betting I dont get it back with that stuff still on :lease:

27. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what the passage of time is here but unless we're talking 2 years I would still return and politely but firmly request that Tosh or the retailer get the HDD contents onto DVD. If they can't then the item is not fit for the purpose, unsatisfactory quality and you'll be seeking damages for a replacement. I recently succesfully rejected a car and consumer legislation is now very supportive. If you haven't already looked, this is a good starting point http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm.

28. DJBenz

DJBenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hmm, hope I haven't got a duff machine then. I should mention, I tried the free DVD-RAM included with the player (Toshiba branded) and it worked flawlessly. I'll grab some small packs of Verbatim Pastel's from SVP and see how they go.

IIRC the Datawrite Greys are G04 (maybe 5?) dye aren't they?, I'll see how I get on with discs with a TY dye before sending it back to RGB.

Thanks for the info! :beer:

29. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I started using Datawrite grey Classics about 3 years ago on a Panny E30 starting with the x2 speed, then x4 speed and now x8 speed.

The only problem with the x8 speed version I have is with high speed dubbing on the Tosh 32 is not allways 100%.

No problem with the x2 or x4. Writing at single speed they have been all fine.

I've got quite a few Ram disks and the all work flawlessly in the TOSH and the PANNY. :beer:

30. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh loves Taiyo Yuden - in fact, everything seems to love those kooky dull-purple coloured discs :)

Well worth a go for those who haven't tried them yet....